What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U May 6 2020 New Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.385_20490

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ForkWNY

ASUS released a new version of the RT-AC68U firmware today (May 6th, 2020).

Direct download (available within ASUS router web UI currently): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438520490.zip

68-U-05062020.jpg

4 of my AiMesh nodes (RT-AC68U's) updated this morning via the ASUS Web UI. No issues to note so far, but will be interested if those using 68U's as their primary routers experience any problems with the new firmware. Will update w/release notes shortly.

Last edited:
ASUS released a new version of the RT-AC68U firmware today (May 6th, 2020).

Direct download (available within ASUS router web UI currently): https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438520490.zip

68-U-update.jpg

4 of my AiMesh nodes (RT-AC68U's) updated this morning via the ASUS Web UI. No issues to note so far, but will be interested if those using 68U's as their primary routers experience any problems with the new firmware. Will update w/release notes shortly.
You posted the same thing back in April
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/rt-ac68u-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-385_20433.63322/

That was for version 385_20433 for April - a new release was posted this AM. 385_20490.
Your screenshot had 20433 in it. See my quoted reply (expand it)....I see 20433. It now shows 20490. Did you edit your post?

The release note is still not updated for this new build. But I got my router upgraded.

View attachment 23289
Release notes are now up:

Version 3.0.0.4.385.20490
2020/05/06 36.77 MBytes

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20490
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.
- Fixed some UI bugs.
- Fixed login bugs.
- Support router certificate export. After import the certificate to the computer you will not see the warning message when login with https.Please refer to https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294/

Please unzip the firmware file first and then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 2423b6e882ff82ce8638e7f13893f5b4

ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20490
- Improved connection stability.
- Optimized CPU utilization.
- Fixed some UI bugs.
- Fixed login bugs.

Leave it to Asus to inform us of "Improved connection stability" (across several models of recent firmware releases) without specifying whether they are referring to WAN connection stability or Wireless (WiFi) connection stability.
Anyone care to venture a guess as to which one they improved?

@jsbeddow neither of them? :)
Thanks, but hopefully not what Asus intended here. I am hoping for it to be referring to wireless stability: while mine has generally been good from my main 86U router to my (wireless connnected, -46dbm on 2,4G side, -59dbm on 5Ghz side) 68P AiMesh node (with SmartConnnect off, fixed channels - YES, universal beamforming off, MuMIMO off, airtime fairness off), even if the wireless connection doesn't seem to drop for days at a time (per the wireless log), I still see moments where my Roku box (on wired connection off the 68U node) loses internet for a few seconds once or twice a day. Still scratching my head on that one, as I can't see the evidence in logs, only the results on this Roku box.

Bug report.

https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1034294/

Using the instructions to install the certificate on your PC from the router, I discovered that anytime the router is rebooted, the certificate becomes invalid due to a new thumbprint is generated in the router. This will cause the https to fail until you install the new certificate via non-secure login and you need to delete the invalid certificate to avoid having multiple invalid ASUS Router certificates on the PC.

If you reboot from the GUI, you will get stuck on the Completed screen due to the invalid certificate.

As of version 3.0.0.4.385_20490, the GUI is slow when using https.

I am using the latest Chrome browser 81.0.4044.138 64-bit and Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 1909 OS build 18363.815.

I reported this issue via the Router GUI's Feedback to ASUS.

3.0.0.4.385.20490 on the AC68U ruined 5 Ghz connectivity on our family's iPhones. They either say the password is incorrect (it isn't), or just refuse to stay connected for very long. So far, other devices seem unaffected.

Rolling back the firmware as I write this in hopes this fixes the issue.

EDIT: Possible alternate cause could be the latest version of iOS. Investigating.

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC1900P as my primary AIMesh unit in AP Mode along with a RT-AC1900 and RP-AC55 as AIMesh nodes.. All using Ethernet backhaul.. I had to roll back to 3.0.0.4_385.20253 after installing this because it broke connectivity between my Tivo Minis and my main Tivo Roamio Plus. I have 5 Minis that use either Ethernet or MoCA. The main Roamio Plus is connected by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports on one of my AIMesh nodes.

I noticed this version (and the version just prior 20433 - which also is when my problems began) added "EasyNAT" or something like that to my UI, and it was defaulted to ON.. I'm not sure why that feature was exposed on my units as they are running in Access Point mode. Turning it off made no difference in the problems with the Minis.

20433 is when they added the new AdaptiveQoS and EasyNAT features - which is when I started having issues. Specifically, my Tivo Minis started not being able to see the parent Tivo Roamio on the network.

At some point, I may try doing a clean hard reset and reinstall of the new firmware to see if the problem was just due to the upgrade -- but when people cant watch TV in the house during stay at home orders, you need to pick your battles and come up with the quickest solution.

Last edited:
I have an RT-AC1900P as my primary AIMesh unit in AP Mode along with a RT-AC1900 and RP-AC55 as AIMesh nodes.. All using Ethernet backhaul.. I had to roll back to 3.0.0.4_385.20253 after installing this because it broke connectivity between my Tivo Minis and my main Tivo Roamio Plus. I have 5 Minis that use either Ethernet or MoCA. The main Roamio Plus is connected by Ethernet to one of the LAN ports on one of my AIMesh nodes.

I noticed this version (and the version just prior 20433 - which also is when my problems began) added "EasyNAT" or something like that to my UI, and it was defaulted to ON.. I'm not sure why that feature was exposed on my units as they are running in Access Point mode. Turning it off made no difference in the problems with the Minis.

20433 is when they added the new AdaptiveQoS and EasyNAT features - which is when I started having issues. Specifically, my Tivo Minis started not being able to see the parent Tivo Roamio on the network.

At some point, I may try doing a clean hard reset and reinstall of the new firmware to see if the problem was just due to the upgrade -- but when people cant watch TV in the house during stay at home orders, you need to pick your battles and come up with the quickest solution.
At least the following new features are added a few firmware versions ago:
  • General > Game, with a Gear Accelerator (default it is Off for me) and Mobile Game Mode.
  • General > Open NAT (default it is Off for me), with Game Profiles.
  • General > AiProtection > Yandex.DNS (default it is Off for me, status shown in System Status > 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz).
For me this firmware 3.0.0.4.385.20490 works great.

I prefer the 3.0.0.4.385.20433. It’s so seamlessly connected from node to node and very smooth Internet connection surfing experience for me.

Has anyone on this firmware had any issues with IPV6?

I upgraded to this firmware from .45717 a few weeks ago and it has been pretty solid, connection and speed wise, but I've noticed my IPV6 is dropping in and out. I initially tested IPV6 after upgrading and it was fine, but I recently checked account history in Gmail and it shows my connections switching from IPV6 to IPV4. I've used a couple of those ipv6 tester sites and it confirms.

My AC68Us offer me a firmware update, but something is broken in the meta description I guess (Version 4. ??), the update fails via web interface.

However by guessing the next build version to be aligned to the AC88U (is on 20585) I actually hit a 20585 firmware file for the AC68U here:
https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC68U/FW_RT_AC68U_300438520585.zip

About to try it out, but not sure if this the intended next release.

UPDATE:
Installed the 20585 successfully over 20490.
Still I get an update notification for a version "4.", as it resolves it obviously wrong.

Attachments

• asus.png
    asus.png
    9.1 KB · Views: 307
Last edited:
I just checked my router update and the meta description appears broken as well, it lists firmware version 4.6. and I didn't see the change log. I'm going to hold off updating for a few days and see if it gets sorted out.

Also the IPV6 issue I previously posted about resolved itself. It may have been an issue with my browser or maybe ISP, I'm not sure.

The U.S. support site for ASUS has the firmware update for the RT-AC66U B1. Supposedly the same firmware as the RT-AC68U, although the support page for that model doesn't have the new version yet. Haven't upgraded yet on my AC66U B1. Change list:

Version 3.0.0.4.385.20585 2020/06/19 36.74 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20585
- Fixed Let's encrypt certification renew bugs.
- Improved web history page loading speed.
- Fixed OpenVPN related bugs

The U.S. support site for ASUS has the firmware update for the RT-AC66U B1. Supposedly the same firmware as the RT-AC68U, although the support page for that model doesn't have the new version yet. Haven't upgraded yet on my AC66U B1. Change list:

Version 3.0.0.4.385.20585 2020/06/19 36.74 MBytes
ASUS RT-AC66U B1 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.385.20585
- Fixed Let's encrypt certification renew bugs.
- Improved web history page loading speed.
- Fixed OpenVPN related bugs
Started a new thread for this new firmware:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/asus-rt-ac68u-firmware-version-3-0-0-4-385-20585.64796/

Did you ever solve this? I'm having the same problem. My tivo mini is hooked up to a RT-AC66U_B1 (which runs the same firmware as the RT-AC68U) which is acting as a AiMesh node for my RT-AC88U (running Asuswrt Merlin 384.19). The mini looses connections to our Roamio. The problem seemed to happen when I upgraded to 20633.

If I steal the ethernet backhaul from the AC66U B1 and plug it into the mini (or plug it into a dumb hub and hook the mini into that) I seem to be fine. But if I hook the mini into the AC66U B1, I get v87 errors all of the time ("Cannot find main tivo" or whatever). I tried rolling back to 20490. I also tried rolling the AC88U back to 384.18. Hard resets everywhere.

The problem only seems to happen if the mini goes through the AC66 B1.
We have an HP Pavillion all-in-one that seems to have been failing over from ethernet to wifi since ??, and a raspberry pi running hassio that's been unreachable when plugged into the AC66 B1. This all hit at the same time.