What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U - New Firmware 3.0.0.4.385_20632 Released July 24, 2020

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ForkWNY

Just noticed that ASUS released new firmware for the RT-AC68U, 3.0.0.4.385_20632. It's currently available via update through the admin web UI. Haven't read the release notes yet.

68U.jpg

upgraded and checking things out

Just noticed that ASUS released new firmware for the RT-AC68U, 3.0.0.4.385_20632. It's currently available via update through the admin web UI. Haven't read the release notes yet.

View attachment 24872
I did see this as an update earlier today. However when I have returned to update the router this is no longer offered as an update. Its not on the UK site either....

Strange that the yellow flashing tell tale still insists there is an update available but none now being offered.

Don

It often (really always) takes a while for the newest update to become available on every Asus support site around the world. There are probably similar reasons behind the differential between the yellow flashing symbol and having it appear as ready to download and install: different parts of the code might check different sites in a random or round-robin fashion.

I have auto updated and notice that my USB drive in port 3.0 on the router has now become available in my Network Places on Win 10 with read only attribs. Haven't enabled SMBv1 on my box either.

Updated here too (UK) but no idea of any changes

yup, chat support said they didnt know what teh update was and wouldescalate it??? FFS really thats poor but whatever

With a small version increment, it's possibly a small bug fix. I've sent 2 feedback logs on the AC68U with performance and stability bugs.

I was able to run the update this evening EST US time on another RT-AC68U used as primary router, so it appears the update is available within the admin web UI within the US.

With a small version increment, it's possibly a small bug fix. I've sent 2 feedback logs on the AC68U with performance and stability bugs.
It'll be interesting to see if other devices like my RT-AC3100 get an update from 20630 as well. Both AC68's went from 20630 to 20632 via the GUI wo/issue.

My AC3100 did update the signature version to 2.186 but stayed on 20630. UPDATE - Just looked again and now 2.188 :)

1595648753170.png

1595650751055.png

Last edited:
My router finds the update but refuses to load the release note.
I postpone the update until more is known.

My RT-AC66U_B1 indicates there is an update available, but when I press Firmware Upgrade, it seems to download and install it and reboots the router, but after I login and check, the router is still on 300438520630, not 300438520632. I've tried it several times and and it always ends staying on 300438520630.

I also can't find a working direct link for https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AC66U_B1/FW_RT_AC66U_B1_300438520632.zip.

Edit: Above direct link now working as of 7/28.

1595685983316.png

Last edited:
Well they havent solved the disconnected due to inactivity bug. Exactly 24 hours uptime and my speaker disconnects despite it being in use streaming audio, the audio stops and I have to wait 2 minutes for the speaker to reconnect before I can restart the stream. The speaker is next to the router so not a signal problem and Roaming Assistant is disabled on both 2.4 and 5 ghz. Other speakers have remained connected, also it reset the DHCP lease which is set for 7 days. Logs sent in feedback.

Happened again on the same speaker after 1 day 5 hours, this time took 7 minutes to reconnect. No point in sending more logs. Anyone with Merlin experience this?

Interesting it has happened again but on a different speaker, after 2 days uptime on 2.4 ghz band. 5 ghz seems stable, nothing in logs about devices being kicked off, logs sent.

The 2.4 GHz band is often saturated with radio interference. This might not necessarily be caused by the router but could be an external source of interference on that frequency band.

The 2.4 GHz band is often saturated with radio interference. This might not necessarily be caused by the router but could be an external source of interference on that frequency band.
Good point but I dont understand why the log says "Deauth...reason due to inactivity (4)" at the time of the streaming stopping. 5 ghz no longer does this since this firmware update so have they fixed 5 ghz and need to now look at 2.4?

The other option is to move my devices to 5 ghz and see how that performs as no neighbours seems to have 5 ghz.

Trying the speakers on 5ghz now, one signal is a bit weak only 2 bars but we will see.

Last edited:
5Ghz doesn't travel as far or through walls as well as 2.4Ghz (if your speakers are somewhat far from your wifi router, you won't get as strong of a signal compared to 2.4Ghz), but 2.4Ghz as RMerlin stated is going to be affected more so by interference than the 5Ghz band.

I recommend downloading a Wifi analysis app on your smartphone (such as WiFi Analyzer) which will tell you if there is any interference in the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands within your home, and will recommend which channels to use. I'm in a fairly rural area so there's next to no interference on either band, but in busier suburbs and downtown city locations I've seen 2.4Ghz completely saturated. Either way, getting a look at what is going on in the 2.4Ghz band will probably help out with your troubleshooting. I've seen a lot of posts complaining about random drops and disconnects with 2.4Ghz clients, and they later find out that interference was the problem...sometimes a simple channel switch will solve the issues.

Last edited:
5Ghz doesn't travel as far or through walls as well as 2.4Ghz, but 2.4Ghz as RMerlin stated is going to be affected more so by interference than the 5Ghz band.

I recommend downloading a Wifi analyzer on your smartphone, such as WiFi Analyzer which will tell you if there is any interference in the 2.4Ghz or 5Ghz bands, and will recommend which channels to use. I'm in a fairly rural area so there's next to no interference on either band, but in busier suburbs and downtown city locations I've seen 2.4Ghz completely saturated.
I already have Wifi analyser and the 2.4 band has around another 3 routers. The AC68U is set to fixed channels, 11 and 44. Trouble is when I change the 2.4 channel there is a BT router that seems to follow it and maybe that is interfering as it is the strongest signal. I will try 5 ghz for a while and see if it is any better.

A bit of history, I had up until Feb a DSL-N55U and have had this years and no problems with speakers dropping out, only PPP session dropping which was repeated on the 1200G+ I replaced it in Feb with. The N55U is on Beta firmware and hasn't been updated since 2016 so thought its about time I replaced it. Hardware is fine. So here we are with different problems on the AC68U.

Last edited: