What's new

ASUS RT-AC68U unable to access QNAP S-653 Pro remotely

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Twiga

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I have purchased a new router - RT-AC68U and am trying to access my QNAP TS653 Pro remotely.

I am a bit of a newbie :) QNAP have been very helpful and have assisted via TeamViewer, but still no luck.

I have upgraded ASUS Firmware to Merlin, hoping this might provide access, but I am still unable to access my QNAP remotely.

I can access my QNAP on local LAN, no problem, but for some reason I am not able to access remotely.

I have attached a couple of screenshots.

Is anyone able to assist, please.

Attachments

• status.png
    status.png
    39.2 KB · Views: 825
  • myqnapcloud.png
    myqnapcloud.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 628
Not sure if QNAP is providing any kind of reverse proxy (like Synology), but you can always set up port forwarding in the router.
Put in external port you want to be forwarded and destination ip (qnap internal ip) and listening port on QNAP. Provided you have an external name pointed to you public ip, you should be able to access your interface using https://<yourdnsname>:port

Not sure if QNAP is providing any kind of reverse proxy (like Synology), but you can always set up port forwarding in the router.
Put in external port you want to be forwarded and destination ip (qnap internal ip) and listening port on QNAP. Provided you have an external name pointed to you public ip, you should be able to access your interface using https://<yourdnsname>:port

Many thanks for the quick reply :)

I have tried port forwarding, but not sure I am entering the correct details in the correct boxes. I have attached a screenshot of the port forward interface on the router. I am confident I have LOCAL IP and LOCAL PORT correct, but not sure about SOURCE TARGET and PORT RANGE?

Attachments

• port forwarding.png
    port forwarding.png
    162.1 KB · Views: 1,968
Leave source target empty, or enter 0.0.0.0 and put a single port to be visible externally and forwarded to your internal port.

Leave source target empty, or enter 0.0.0.0 and put a single port to be visible externally and forwarded to your internal port.

Once again, many thanks for your reply :)

OK, have tried to port forward 8082 to 8080

When I set up port forward (which I assume I am doing correctly) then I receive an error within myqnapcloud for this port?

See attached screenshots.

To recap and provide more information - I have a static IP with my ISP. It is 219.XX.XXX.XX (x's for safety as do not want to publicly disclose). But, when I enter this IP address into browser to access remotely, I get an error message, hence trying to port forward as for some reason the router will not let me access 219.XX.XXX.XX remotely. Please note, I am not trying to access 219.XX.XXX.XX via my LAN, but via a completed different outside network.

Attachments

• qnap.png
    qnap.png
    105 KB · Views: 1,170
  • port.png
    port.png
    168.2 KB · Views: 1,119
Just to confirm - internally you can access your NAS web interface on 8080. Correct?

Please also try to enter 0.0.0.0 for source IP and hit apply. The rest looks correct to me.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 903
  • 2.png
    2.png
    109.8 KB · Views: 1,244
Your screenshot shows port as 8086. This means that when you come from outside, you should enter dnsname:8086. Further, you are saying that internally you use https without a port override. This means that you are listening on port 443, and not on 8080!
Please check your port settings and adjust port forwarding in the router accordingly!

Please try the following setting in the port forwarding section:

Service Name = QNAP
Port Range = 5000
Local IP = 192.168.1.120
Local Port = 443

Save and Apply.

Then try the following from outside:

https://<your_dns_fqdn>:5000/cgi-bin

Let me know what happens!

Last edited:
Your screenshot shows port as 8086. This means that when you come from outside, you should enter dnsname:8086. Further, you are saying that internally you use https without a port override. This means that you are listening on port 443, and not on 8080!
Please check your port settings and adjust port forwarding in the router accordingly!

Please try the following setting in the port forwarding section:

Service Name = QNAP
Port Range = 5000
Local IP = 192.168.1.120
Local Port = 443

Save and Apply.

Then try the following from outside:

https://<your_dns_fqdn>:5000/cgi-bin

Let me know what happens!

For some reason the NAS chose 8086 port, when it through an error status. Now it is showing 8082 for both NAS Web and Secure NAS Web, which seems a little odd?

I have tried your suggestion above, but still not access :-(

If I can get the Web Connectivity to change to a green tick on the NAS, that would be the answer. Is there any other setting on the router or in the Merlin software I should be changing?

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    186.2 KB · Views: 735
  • 5.png
    5.png
    123 KB · Views: 598
Setting on QNAP is using UnPNP, and has nothing to do with port forwarding in the way I recommended you set things up. If you can access the interface on your LAN, then this setting should work. Do you currently have any services exposed outside?

Setting on QNAP is using UnPNP, and has nothing to do with port forwarding in the way I recommended you set things up. If you can access the interface on your LAN, then this setting should work. Do you currently have any services exposed outside?

Sorry, but not 100% sure of your questions. I am a newbie at this :) Can you clarify "Do you currently have any services exposed outside?" Exposed?

I can only access my NAS on my LAN not my WAN.

Do you have access to anything in your LAN from outside of your network? Do you have a DNS name for your public IP registered?

I have purchased a new router - RT-AC68U and am trying to access my QNAP TS653 Pro remotely.

What services are you trying to access remotely?

QNAP cloud generally works, but it's a bit fiddly to set up - the QNAP does have a walk-thru on how to do this on their documentation website.

If done right, it's pretty straight forward, but one has to follow all the steps in order - that include the cloudID setup.

Reading through this thread however, there's a few concerns about security - don't put QTS on to the public internet at large by forwarding ports for the WebGUI or other services that QTS might offer to the LAN - this is a good way to compromise the QNAP - this is why the QNAP cloud exists...

Review here...

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/accessing-your-qnap-device-with-myqnapcloud-service

best of luck!

This is the page I get when trying to access my
Do you have access to anything in your LAN from outside of your network? Do you have a DNS name for your public IP registered?

Sorry, but I am getting very lost :-(

No ...

I have xxxxxxxx.myqnapcloud.com set up as DDNS on the QNAP. Is that what you mean?

Also, my Cloudlink also is httpp://qlink.to/XXXXXXXX

What services are you trying to access remotely?

QNAP cloud generally works, but it's a bit fiddly to set up - the QNAP does have a walk-thru on how to do this on their documentation website.

If done right, it's pretty straight forward, but one has to follow all the steps in order - that include the cloudID setup.

Reading through this thread however, there's a few concerns about security - don't put QTS on to the public internet at large by forwarding ports for the WebGUI or other services that QTS might offer to the LAN - this is a good way to compromise the QNAP - this is why the QNAP cloud exists...

Review here...

https://www.qnap.com/en/how-to/tutorial/article/accessing-your-qnap-device-with-myqnapcloud-service

best of luck!

Thanks for your reply :)

I already have a qnap cloud account i.e., myname.myqnapcloud.com but as you will see from screenshot, I have no webconnectivity.

Router Status is OK
CloudLink is OK
DDNS is OK
Web connectivity - not OK :-(

I need assistance with the web connectivity ....

Are there any other settings in the Merlin software for the router I need to change/adjust?

Attachments

• 7.png
    7.png
    146.5 KB · Views: 726
Those are QNAP private cloud redirect URLs. I'm afraid I can't help you with that. As @sfx2000 said in the previous post - you will need to follow QNAP instructions and forget about the manual port redirect. Manual will only work if you register your DNS name (or access the router using your public ip and port specified in the redirect).

Hello,

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been searching the web for a solution to my problem with my qnap tx-451. Similar to what is posted above, I cannot access the nas remotely.

I have an ASUS RT-AC68U with Merlin's firmware. I am not using qnap cloud. I have my own domain name.

Everything is configured correctly.

I can access my qnap using the domain name from my lan, but I cannot reach it from the wan side (for example using my hotspot).

I do not know what the issue could be. The only thing I can think of is the nas is behind a vpn. I tried turning that off and it did not have an effect.

I don't know if OP found a fix to this issue, if so, or if anyone has any ideas please let me know.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!