What's new

Asus RT-AC86U 2.4GHz Works but...

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zvirus

Occasional Visitor
Hi Everyone,

Just want to ask You guys.

I have the famous 86U which only works ok when 2.4GHz is not set to channel 1 - 6 - 11. Every time set to channel mentioned = problems. Its strange as my neighborhood is not dense (very little interference - sometimes channel 1 or 6 is totally free).

Now on channel 9 and Asus Melin 384.19 and using almost all features and its ROCK solid. for over 20 days... Never gets wrong - never. But.. on channel 9.

Why is it not working properly on suggested channels?

I have had R7000 with Merlin Firmware and 2.4GHz worked ok on 1-6-11... in the same spot.

I`m using:

AMTM scripts
Transmission
OpenVPN Server / Client
Samba
Media Server
Adaptive QOS
Traffic Analyzer
and many more

All ROCK solid - Thanks Merlin!

Thx
Tomas

Last edited:
Have my 2.4 GHZ set to CH 1 @ 20 MHZ. No issues and plenty of signal even outside of my house.

Can you describe what “problems” means? What goes wrong on the problematic channels?

Connected devices stay connected for minutes maybe hours then get disconnected and device cant "see" 2.4GHz band... and in the end there is no 2.4GHz band....

This never happens when using channel 2-3-4-5-7-8-9-10 @20MHz - NEVER

If that will be hardware fault none of them will work (I guess) :)

Your router sounds like a good candidate for a full M&M Config (see the link in my signature below for that and other guides). :)

If it hasn't been fully reset over the last three or four major firmware upgrades.

Your router sounds like a good candidate for a full M&M Config (see the link in my signature below for that and other guides). :)

If it hasn't been fully reset over the last three or four major firmware upgrades.
With all respect... Hard reset done before flashing latest Merlin...

Im not in position starting over again as took mi HOURS to configure AMTM scripts, Transmission, VPN.....

In the end it works. I just want to know why is buggy with recommended channels???

Hard reset done before flashing the firmware you want to use is effectively not a hard reset.

It shouldn't take hours to configure a router. Even with a full reset to factory defaults.

Maybe some of your 'older' customizations are not needed anymore?

I cant recall what sort of resets I have performed but I`m sure I was following one of the snbforum`s guide... maybe even Yours...

Never had any issues with R7000 with SAME firmware and was not doing any "woodoo" to make it work.... So again, why do all "woodoo" stuff with asus?

" Maybe some of your 'older' customizations are not needed anymore? "
Probably... ;)

Hmmmm.. actually I`ll give it a go

And REALLY appreciate constructive help! Thank You!!!

Flashing from stock to RMerlin firmware a reset is required.

BTW, it is not voodoo, and definitely not woodoo. :D

M&M Config or nuclear reset is not needed.
To reset the AC86U, power off and remove USB drives. Press and hold the WPS button then power on. The power LED will come on. When the power LED goes off turn off the power. Power back on and configure. Check to insure the /jffs partition is mounted.
Trust us, a reset is requires after flashing Merlin from Asus firmware.

To reset the AC86U, power off and remove USB drives. Press and hold the WPS button then power on. The power LED will come on. When the power LED goes off turn off the power. Power back on and configure. Check to insure the /jffs partition is mounted.

I did the above... when bought this router... trust me ;)

Anyway.... Last night changed the channel to 1 and surprisingly its working ok for 20h now...

1603546765222.png

And it looks channel 1 is/was a good choice:

channels.jpg

Now confused even more :)

Thanks For All inputs!

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!