What's new

Release ASUS RT AC86u Firmware - 3.0.0.4.384_81992-gdc7a780

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

In case you guys do not know, even on stock firmware you can backup/restore your custom client list, user icons and dhcp static list with winscp.

I use the portable version.

Annotation 2020-07-11 084130.jpg

In case you guys do not know, even on stock firmware you can backup/restore your custom client list, user icons and dhcp static list with winscp.

I use the portable version.

View attachment 24667
Had no clue, but have my icon saved as small 54px png's, took 5min to get all 31 back so it wasn't too bad...

Thank you ASUS... :confused:
This firmware update killed a lot things:

- OpenVPN Server
- Parental Controls settings
- AiProtection data
- Web History data
- DHCP server reservations
- Client names
- Client icons
- QoS settings

And the worst part - restored settings wouldn't survive after reboot. Got it working only after factory reset.
Two RT-AC86U routers are going for recycling. x86 appliance and switch/access points coming as replacement.

- OpenVPN Server
- AiProtection data
- Web History data
- Client names
- Client icons
- QoS settings

And the worst part - restored settings wouldn't survive after reboot. Got it working only after factory reset.
Two RT-AC86U routers are going for recycling. x86 appliance and switch/access points coming as replacement.
Would be glad to get the AC86U's to use at a not for profit. Can offer shipping cost.

Had no clue, but have my icon saved as small 54px png's, took 5min to get all 31 back so it wasn't too bad...

To use Winscp enable SSH in router.

File protocol in Winscp will be set to SFTP and you want to change that to SCP.

Once logged into the router just browse to jffs/nvram and you can backup/download your files.

- OpenVPN Server
- AiProtection data
- Web History data
- Client names
- Client icons
- QoS settings

In my case only the icons were gone, when the names go its much more intense! Too bad but the router was still working I hope...

In my case only the icons were gone, when the names go its much more intense! Too bad but the router was still working I hope...

This is just my issue, in my attempt to use this firmware, so it maybe not related to all. I to, have given up on this firmware after various resets, via ALL methods, and manual rebuilds after each, the connection to the internet would fail, red led light on (main router), i.e. WAN would drop, seemed to be coming from/after, reboots, So no internet throughout the network. I have therefore, rolled back to my favourite firmware version 81858, which for me, is rock solid. Since rolling back, no more problems. For information, I have no switches, no VPN, USB ports are empty, no AI Protection, no traffic analyzer and no QoS. All my 86U units are running via a AiMesh setup, using a WIFI backhaul. Go figure.

I might also add, reverting back to an older firmware, in my case 81858, also required a reset, which I completed via the WPS reset, because after rolling back to 81858 (dirty downgrade), the same problem (as above), remained, until the WPS reset on the main router. Rebuild again (manually), now, no more problem on the WAN.

As for the nodes, after loading up 81858 via the gui for each, I just removed each via the gui, which caused a reset for each and added each of them again. All good again.

For me, RIP firmware version 384.81992.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

- OpenVPN Server
- AiProtection data
- Web History data
- Client names
- Client icons
- QoS settings

I haven't encountered any of your problems.

- OpenVPN Server
- AiProtection data
- Web History data
- Client names
- Client icons
- QoS settings

Not experiencing any of this on mine...rock solid after 3 days.

Good to hear it's working for you guys. One of the routers failed in about 1 year time. Was replaced under warranty. The second one started having intermittent 2.4GHz radio recently. Warranty period expired. I just had enough wasted time with Asus. Omada setup is coming next week and I already have pfSense running on a mini PC. Netgate SG-5100 is what I want down the road.

Dirty upgrade through the GUI for me a few days back, no issues. In the almost 2 years I've owned this router, every update has been without any resets.

At first, I thought I did loose some client names, but then I remembered I had recently swapped out some single stream WiFi cards for AX200 cards on a couple of laptops. (Never understood why Dell always seems to go cheap on their WiFi specs, even ethernet is only 100mb on a lot of the models that still offer that.)

Good to hear it's working for you guys. One of the routers failed in about 1 year time. Was replaced under warranty. The second one started having intermittent 2.4GHz radio recently. Warranty period expired. I just had enough wasted time with Asus. Omada setup is coming next week and I already have pfSense running on a mini PC. Netgate SG-5100 is what I want down the road.

Are your routers from the 2018 bulit batch? I've had problems with a 2018 router which was replaced with a 2017 one. And from searching the forums here and the internet in general it's clear to me that the failure rate in 2018 built routers is much higher than the average consumer electronic failure rate.

Are your routers from the 2018 bulit batch?

Both were 2017 initially, then WAN port failed on one and it was replaced with 2018. Now the radio is failing on the remaining 2017. Both have the no boot after restart bug. Both have ISP DHCP etc. not working bug. The 2018 one got totally messed up after 81992 update. The 2017 one runs Merlin. VPN server issues there, Skynet stopped working with syntax error, etc. I don't have the time to fix things anymore. Some people may enjoy it. I have other things to do.

I was thinking to upgrade my 68u to this model 86u so I can enjoy faster VPN but after reading in here I'm not sure if this will be considered an upgrade?
Are the new ones for sale in Amazon still unreliable?

I was thinking to upgrade my 68u to this model 86u so I can enjoy faster VPN but after reading in here I'm not sure if this will be considered an upgrade?
Are the new ones for sale in Amazon still unreliable?
The AC86U is definitely an upgrade from the AC68U. If for nothing else the added security of a 64 bit OS. Dual band smart connect also works well for me!

Both were 2017 initially, then WAN port failed on one and it was replaced with 2018. Now the radio is failing on the remaining 2017. Both have the no boot after restart bug. Both have ISP DHCP etc. not working bug. The 2018 one got totally messed up after 81992 update. The 2017 one runs Merlin. VPN server issues there, Skynet stopped working with syntax error, etc. I don't have the time to fix things anymore. Some people may enjoy it. I have other things to do.

Recycle them... the hardware is failing... there is no fixing that.

OE