What's new

Release ASUS RT AC86u Firmware - 3.0.0.4.384_81992-gdc7a780

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Many, many RT-AC86U's used by customers (and I had one myself). Rock-solid for the vast majority is a fair assessment.

The vocal few that do have issues just skew that perception.

even here compared to other router models the 86u has the most topics about failed hardware, especially the 2018 batch. my main 86u was purchased in 2018 but it was from the 2017 batch and it's working fine. I then got another 2018 86u that had dead 5Ghz radios from the start. i replaced it and got lucky with another 2017 router that is working well for about a year now. i don't know about later batched from 2019 and up but it seems like if you have a 2018 router then your days are numbered.

perhaps i was lucky with what seems to be a 2017 model since my purchase was on jan 2018. even then it was nib for only $160. so no complaints here especially after a couple fiascos and poor support with multiple linksys models. i find the (merlin) ui to be quite ez to navigate as well as visually superior when compared to linksys as well. should it go belly-up, i can see myself re-upping to another 86u much like oe.

even here compared to other router models the 86u has the most topics about failed hardware, especially the 2018 batch. my main 86u was purchased in 2018 but it was from the 2017 batch and it's working fine. I then got another 2018 86u that had dead 5Ghz radios from the start. i replaced it and got lucky with another 2017 router that is working well for about a year now. i don't know about later batched from 2019 and up but it seems like if you have a 2018 router then your days are numbered.
I hope not, all mine are from 2018...no failures yet, touch wood.