What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.48260

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I spoke too soon. I checked the speeds one hour later and they degraded back to around 200Mbps.

Time to go back to Netgear?
Did you file a report?
Have you set 2.4ghz to 20mhz?
What was the reported connection strenght?
Did your Netgear equipment work flawlessly in the same environment?

This router will perhaps receive one firmware update in next 12 months, @heywire. Whatever is fixed or broken - it is what it is. Don't expect much support or someone answering filed reports. Asus clearly has no intentions to waste time with AC-class routers, even HND platform based.

This router will perhaps receive one firmware update in next 12 months, @heywire. Whatever is fixed or broken - it is what it is. Don't expect much support or someone answering filed reports. Asus clearly has no intentions to waste time with AC-class routers, even HND platform based.
Not only ASUS Routers but also ASUS Devices. ASUS is getting worse.

We are talking about specific model router here. It was released 5.5 years ago in Aug 2017.

Not only ASUS Routers but also ASUS Devices. ASUS is getting worse.

I've not seen any indication of that. I think people are comparing everything to the AC68U which was fully supported for more than 10 years. I don't think any other router in the ASUS stable has seen half that. As has been said many times by others, most other manufacturers (Netgear being an obvious example) are unlikely to provide more than 2 years of updates that are spaced 4-6 months apart.

And when picking an ASUS router, its important to consider whether its a fringe model, new product line model, or something more main stream. I consider the AC86U a fairly main stream model (as evidenced by the large number of people that have it), and it got 5.5 years of full support. If it weren't for AX, it would probably still be fully supported because its a fine performing router. I have an AX6000 that I'm testing, and in the casual tests I've performed thus far, there is no improvement in wifi range.

I have an AX6000 that I'm testing, and in the casual tests I've performed thus far, there is no improvement in wifi range.

I have an AX86U and AC86U beats it in range too. It's an excellent router when it works. Folks around just get firmware upgrade obsessed. Nothing bad is going to happen on older firmware. Netgear, TP-Link, D-Link routers work for many years after End-of-Support. The equivalent hardware Archer C2300 was dropped years ago by TP-Link and I'm sure people are still using it. It was also excellent range router model - one of the best in AC-class.

most other manufacturers (Netgear being an obvious example) are unlikely to provide more than 2 years of updates that are spaced 4-6 months apart.
I can't speak for the entire NETGEAR lineup, but my old R7800 was released in 2016 and the most recent update published was October 2022.

Did you file a report?
Have you set 2.4ghz to 20mhz?
What was the reported connection strenght?
Did your Netgear equipment work flawlessly in the same environment?
This is not WiFi, it's wired sir.

I ordered the ASUS RT-AX86U PRO and will see if issues exists on both.

Looking at your avatar - I wouldn't expect anything less. :)
Well, that's exactly my mood right now. :D

My Asus router has issues, one of the armrests on my favorite desk chair broke off this week and now my (new, only 1 year old), Samsung QN90A TV has a large dark area on the screen. (Samsung says the warranty expired Jan 2023) o_O

I don't really want to pay for a new router, but i need something else to debug/fix my issue.

Last edited:
also going to try this. :D
2023-02-12_14-05-08.jpg

You don't need fans for your new RT-AX86U Pro. Your old RT-AC86U - euthanize and bury in the back yard. This is what the bastard deserves!

Not sure if I can put a Like on your post above without getting into trouble. I see Samsung in trouble already because of the way they treated you, sir.

Last edited:
You don't need fans for your new RT-AX86U Pro. Your old RT-AC86U - euthanize and bury in the back yard. This is what the bastard deserves!

Not sure if I can put a Like on your post above without getting into trouble. I see Samsung in trouble already because of the way they treated you, sir.
The fans are for the RT-AC86U, if I keep it. But its only $13. :D

Whatever you decide, sir.

By the way, I own a decent size warehouse. Shipments going in and out daily. Big gaylord boxes with some underutilized volume. Let me know.

I've not seen any indication of that. I think people are comparing everything to the AC68U which was fully supported for more than 10 years. I don't think any other router in the ASUS stable has seen half that. As has been said many times by others, most other manufacturers (Netgear being an obvious example) are unlikely to provide more than 2 years of updates that are spaced 4-6 months apart.

And when picking an ASUS router, its important to consider whether its a fringe model, new product line model, or something more main stream. I consider the AC86U a fairly main stream model (as evidenced by the large number of people that have it), and it got 5.5 years of full support. If it weren't for AX, it would probably still be fully supported because its a fine performing router. I have an AX6000 that I'm testing, and in the casual tests I've performed thus far, there is no improvement in wifi range.
You know what? They are still selling those old routers. Those routers are not discontinued. They are not EoL devices at all. They are even selling '2 pack'.

It means they must support them. That is Consumer rights. Do they volunteer for free support more than 10 years? Absolutely not. By the way, they release garbage BIOS for motherboards even if those motherboards are less than one year. It's getting worse. BIOS release term is getting longer. A lot of consumers still can't use NVIDIA 4000 series properly including me. Interestingly, they do this for the most expensive top-tier motherboards. And you know ASUS's recent Warranty rejection issue for motherboards and graphic cards?

Last edited:
You know what? They are still selling those old routers. Those routers are not discontinued. They are not EoL devices at all. They are even selling '2 pack'.

It means they must support them. That is Consumer rights. Do they volunteer for free support more than 10 years? Absolutely not. By the way, they release garbage BIOS for motherboards even if those motherboards are less than one year. It's getting worse. BIOS release term is getting longer. A lot of consumers still can't use NVIDIA 4000 series properly including me. Interestingly, they do this for the most expensive top-tier motherboards. And you know ASUS's recent Warranty rejection issue for motherboards and graphic cards?

Yep, its already been discussed in another thread that these are not EOL'ed. Like all of the other ASUS routers that are no longer on the mainline firmware, the AC86U will receive FW updates one or twice a year. Its a fine performing router. I have 4, and the wifi performance for AC devices is as good or better than a GT-AX6000 that I just purchased and benchmarked in my home. And AX is overrated because there are so few instances where a wifi device can benefit from AX over AC for speed. So for people who just want a solid, stable wifi network, the AC86U is a fine choice.

Now if you are into the router-as-hobby thing, then don't purchase a 5-year old router.

Yep, its already been discussed in another thread that these are not EOL'ed. Like all of the other ASUS routers that are no longer on the mainline firmware, the AC86U will receive FW updates one or twice a year. Its a fine performing router. I have 4, and the wifi performance for AC devices is as good or better than a GT-AX6000 that I just purchased and benchmarked in my home. And AX is overrated because there are so few instances where a wifi device can benefit from AX over AC for speed. So for people who just want a solid, stable wifi network, the AC86U is a fine choice.

Now if you are into the router-as-hobby thing, then don't purchase a 5-year old router.
I have AX and AC routers. I use AC routers for other purpose. AX routers are overrated and overpriced with dirty marketing tactics. Some users believe that it gives them huge difference. However AX gives them the placebo effect though.

Many users use those fans like him, attaching with double sided tapes, glue guns, screws, drilling, welding something like that . Because we all have different environment. SNBFORUM users don't do that much, but there are so many users do it at the other communities. They even share how to modify routers physically.

They even share how to modify routers physically.

Very interesting. I only had one AC86U with 2x VRMs replaced, 2.4GHz chip replaced, copper shim CPU mod, thermal transfer pads replaced, blue LEDs for fun and 2x 70mm magnetic attachment fans over 60mm holes at the back. Nothing special. ;)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!