What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51529

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

What else a business selling routers may eventually want from you?
You know what? There was a fix for USB issue in the testing firmware before 51255. It's still in the testing firmware. But they don't release an official firmware with that fix.

You know what? There was a fix for USB issue in the testing firmware before 51255. It's still in the testing firmware. But they don't release an official firmware with that fix.
Have you reported it?

File a report to Asus in the webgui under "Administration/Feedback" - describe what you did and what the problem is- in the free-text field, and remember to check "attach logs" so they can use it to problem-solve.

Have you reported it?

File a report to Asus in the webgui under "Administration/Feedback" - describe what you did and what the problem is- in the free-text field, and remember to check "attach logs" so they can use it to problem-solve.
I already did it for a long time ago. They just don't want to fix it.
Look at this.

I already did it for a long time ago. They just don't want to fix it.
Look at this.
I recommend that you send a new report in the current firmware and paste that link in the free-text field.

It does appear that their whole firmware development department is a total mess - this is not a new observation, the AC86U firmware in particular has been a dumpster-fire for years to a degree I've found shocking - only recently I've found some stability with it.

In in that instance; treat them like a bunch of children that haven't learned self management skills yet - they need constant reminders and repetition all the time until it hopefully sticks... sometimes you also have to yell louder (since you as an end-customer have no other discipline tools). A lot of handymen also need this - you need to project manage and constantly remind them of appointments, outstanding issues they are supposed to resolve etc., or they will downprioritize and forget.

10 years? Are you talking about AC68U? AC86U is only 5 years. Your speech doesn't make sense at all.
I see you didn't read post #18.

You know what? I don't see it as an issue. I would disable sleep anyway. The drive will live longer.
What are you talking about? The USB sleep mode issue is HDDs never go to sleep even if HDD Hibernation is turned on. You just don't know about this issue for some reason. This is well known issue. That's why ASUS put the fix in the testing firmware.

i noticed that my wifi is extremely slow
wifi devices are very hard to reach as if something is jamming the wifi
after a reboot things are ok again.
in the past i have had this issue but did not have it for a very long time
anybody else have had this happened

main router is a RT-AX88U and mesh node is a RT-AC86U , both on latest official
i must say i upgraded the RT-AC86U last week so maybee this is causing things to happen
current RT-AC86 fw is 51529
previous fw was 51255

i decided to monitor a couple of 2.4 ghz connected devices(all connected to main router, not aimesh RT-AC86U node)
i discovered there were a lot of disconnects and reconnects making the complete 2.4ghz network unstable.
i decided to downgrade thr RT-AC86U to fw version 51255.
The rsult is that the complete wifi network becomes stable again.
i do not know what asus did in the new firmware but it affects the aimesh network heavily, at least in my setup

even with the suggestions to use auto channel and stay away from DFS did not help
my setup

RT-AX88U fw 22525
RT-AC86U fw 51255
connected to 5GHz backhaul only
2.4ghz fixed at channel 11
5Ghz fixed at channel 100

1682670733791.png

i discovered there were a lot of disconnects and reconnects making the complete 2.4ghz network unstable.
i decided to downgrade thr RT-AC86U to fw version 51255.
The rsult is that the complete wifi network becomes stable again.
i do not know what asus did in the new firmware but it affects the aimesh network heavily, at least in my setup
This sounds exactly like a familiar problem with the AC86U firmware that I hoped was a thing of the past:

Please do file a report in the WebGUI with the firmware in issue before you revert to an older one, so that we have hopes of Asus actually fixing the issue downstream.

The report feature is under "Administration/Feedback" - describe what you did and what the problem is- in the free-text field, and remember to check "attach logs" so they can use it to problem-solve.

This sounds exactly like a familiar problem with the AC86U firmware that I hoped was a thing of the past:

Please do file a report in the WebGUI with the firmware in issue before you revert to an older one, so that we have hopes of Asus actually fixing the issue downstream.

The report feature is under "Administration/Feedback" - describe what you did and what the problem is- in the free-text field, and remember to check "attach logs" so they can use it to problem-solve.
i did but i did it from the RT-AX88U gui. as far as i can tell i can not login the rt-ac86u and do this

to bad to see that this seems to be a very, long running problem which they apparently fixed in fw 51255(for me) but seems to be back

Last edited:
i did but i did it from the RT-AX88U gui. as far as i can tell i can not login the rt-ac86u and do this

to bad to see that this seems to be a very, long running problem which they apparently fixed in fw 51255(for me) but seems to be back
Good. Did you specify in the text-field that it was only happening to the AC86U exclusively? I don't know if the log specifies that the concerned node is an AC86U, so I'd include it to be sure.

Also add any other Aimesh routers that you might have in the mix - as in theory, it could be a general Aimes node-related problem, even though I suspect it's the AC86 specifically because of the aforementioned history with this issue.

Dropping a link to this forum-thread in the report would be nice as well.

Btw. this popped up in "Similar threads" below:

That's the latest Merlin Asus firmware. Could be related.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!