What's new

Release ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51665

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wouterv

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.51665

Version 3.0.0.4.386.51665
98.78 MB
2023/05/11

Bug fixes and functionality modifications:
-Resolved the issue with login and password changes.
-Fixed the issue where Traffic Analyzer sometimes couldn't record data.

Security updates:
-Enabled and supported ECDSA certificates for Let's Encrypt.
-Enhanced protection for credentials.
-Enhanced protection for OTA firmware updates.
-Fixed DoS vulnerabilities in firewall configuration pages. Thanks to Jinghe Gao's contribution.
-Fixed DoS vulerabilities in httpd. Thanks to Howard McGreehan.
-Fixed information disclosure vulnerability. Thanks to Junxu (Hillstone Network Security Research Institute) contribution.
-Fixed CVE-2023-28702 and CVE-2023-28703. Thanks to Xingyu Xu(@tmotfl) contribution.
-Fixed null pointer dereference vulnerabilities. Thanks to Chengfeng Ye, Prism Research Group - cse hkust contribution.
-Fixed the cfg server vulnerability. Thanks to Swing and Wang Duo from Chaitin Security Research Lab.
-Fixed the vulnerability in the logmessage function. Thanks to Swing and Wang Duo from Chaitin Security Research Lab C0ss4ck from Bytedance Wuheng Lab, Feixincheng from X1cT34m.

Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: 6040822e6ab3d1bafc756fb038c2f3559aa1004a2af2d2bc52684f39004a2f65

Last edited:
I noticed that the support site for the RT-AC1900U is gone.
My RT-AC1900U was online upgraded to 3.0.0.4.386.51665 and I know the (previous) firmware files are identical to those for RT-AC68U, so far no harm :)
The RT-AC68U (router) and RT-AC1900U (media bridge) work flawless as before after the dirty upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.51665.

I noticed that the support site for the RT-AC1900U is gone.
My RT-AC1900U was online upgraded to 3.0.0.4.386.51665 and I know the (previous) firmware files are identical to those for RT-AC68U, so far no harm :)
The RT-AC68U (router) and RT-AC1900U (media bridge) work flawless as before after the dirty upgrade to 3.0.0.4.386.51665.
Asus Support Page for RT-AC1900
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ac1900/helpdesk_bios/

Asus Support Page for RT-AC1900U
Defunct page for some reason - states "We don’t currently provide a software utility or drivers for this model."
https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ac1900u/helpdesk_bios/

I believe the RT-AC1900U is the same as the RT-AC68U.

The Asus End of Life page does not contain the RT-AC1900U or the RT-AC1900
https://www.asus.com/event/network/eol-product/

RT-AC1900P is there:

1683988905332.png

Yes, I know. I'm sure it will take any of the variants firmware. It's all the same. Double size firmware though perhaps indicates officially EoL state RT-AC68U V4 is still getting some updates along with the rest of the pack. This is more interesting.

Ah so the RT-AC1900U is moved to the same "Support only" corner as e.g. RT-N66U.
Now I am not native English speaking, why do they call it "Support only" why support basically ended?

With previous versions I know the firmware files for RT-AC68U and RT-AC1900U where to the bit identical.

Ah so the RT-AC1900U is moved to the same "Support only" corner as e.g. RT-N66U.
Now I am not native English speaking, why do they call it "Support only" why support basically ended?

With previous versions I know the firmware files for RT-AC68U and RT-AC1900U where to the bit identical.
Asus has been silent about the RT-AC1900U. They have not announced end of life but the support page says firmware no longer available. However, the RT-AC1900U will apparently flash the same firmware as the RT-AC68U and RT-AC1900 if done within the router administration firmware update menu. Asus still has a support page and firmware posted for the RT-AC1900 (without the "U") which apparently is the same firmware as the RT-AC1900U and the RT-AC68U: https://www.asus.com/supportonly/rt-ac1900/helpdesk_bios/

Anyone else seeing RAM reducing every day? Free started off as 103Mb and after 7 days its now 78Mb free.

My router locked up with about 10 days uptime. It's used for VPN server only. I had to ask someone to restart it and downgraded the firmware to 386_49703. I had like 5 months uptime on this firmware interrupted only by 386_51255 update. A little disappointed, but it's up and running again.

Anyone else seeing RAM reducing every day? Free started off as 103Mb and after 7 days its now 78Mb free.
I have two of these routers. Both have about 75 to 85 MB Free with a 7 day uptime. What were you getting on the previous firmware? I've forgotton. If different, perhaps the new firmware is better utilizing memory. Unused memory is wasted memory. 85MB Free of 256MB (67% utilization) doesn't seem abnormal. I do have AI Protection On. What are you guys seeing with this firmware and the prior? After logging in to the router, simply click on "Status" Tab under the System Status section on the Right.
RAM.jpg

Last edited:
Mine is AC66U B1 model and I remember about 50% RAM utilization, but I rarely login to the GUI. Free RAM is not an issue if the router is working right. My problem is the router isn't working right for some reason and it's doing literally nothing 95% of the time. My mistake was taking chances with firmware updates. The router is physically located 6265km away from my main residence.

I'm still on 51255, and have 140MB free after nearly 24 days. I do have features turned off that I don't use, like AIProtection, some logging, etc...

Uptime 7 days and a bit:
1684505357593.png

As far as I can remember it was always around 45%.
Quite plain configuration as router, no options enabled.

[EDIT]
See this post.

Last edited:
I wonder if it was that bug that caused a memory leak? Not sure if it affected the 68U and related or not. The only downloads my logs seem to show is a firmware check, and I have auto-update disabled anyways.

I wonder if it was that bug that caused a memory leak? Not sure if it affected the 68U and related or not. The only downloads my logs seem to show is a firmware check, and I have auto-update disabled anyways.
I'm not seeing any signs of a memory leak. Used memory is holding steady at 67%.