What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U Issue/Dead (Eth4 LED Only)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

If you were able to replace this IC, you perhaps can diagnose what’s wrong. There is a way to test boot the router with this IC removed.
I removed the ic and still no go so something else is definitely wrong.

Well, my trusted development router just died with the weak ETH4 led symptom.
RIP, you started as main router and then were delegated to developing amtm and Diversion when the RT-AX88U arrived.

Well, my trusted development router just died with the weak ETH4 led symptom.
RIP, you started as main router and then were delegated to developing amtm and Diversion when the RT-AX88U arrived.
I almost reached for the "like" button, but that didn't seem appropriate at all.

Now I just need to convince the CFO (my wife) that we need to replace our currently functioning RT-AC86U with a newer router....yeah well, because it is likely to die, probably imminently. That's going to go over really well, I can see it now.

I almost reached for the "like" button, but that didn't seem appropriate at all.

Now I just need to convince the CFO (my wife) that we need to replace our currently functioning RT-AC86U with a newer router....yeah well, because it is likely to die, probably imminently. That's going to go over really well, I can see it now.
Mine was of the first 86U series that came out, it worked fine for multiple years. Interestingly, the outdated RT-AC87U died last year, of old age I guess. This one had a dead WAN port after a lightning hit our house. Still worked fine with one of the LAN ports used as WAN. I still have 5 working Asus routers left, the AX56U now becomes the new dev router.

Mine was of the first 86U series that came out, it worked fine for multiple years.

I also have one of the early 86U's. Three or so months ago I saw this in the log accompanied by 92C cpu temperatures.

Code:
May  9 18:27:01 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1
May  9 18:27:01 kernel: IRQ6 no longer affine to CPU1
May  9 18:27:01 kernel: IRQ28 no longer affine to CPU1
May  9 18:27:01 kernel: IRQ29 no longer affine to CPU1
May  9 18:27:01 kernel: IRQ30 no longer affine to CPU1
May  9 18:27:07 kernel: process 2565 (vpnserver1) no longer affine to cpu1
May  9 18:29:41 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn on CPU#1
May  9 18:29:41 kernel: CPU1: Booted secondary processor
May  9 18:39:01 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1
May  9 18:39:01 kernel: IRQ6 no longer affine to CPU1
May  9 18:51:45 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn on CPU#1
May  9 18:51:45 kernel: CPU1: Booted secondary processor
May  9 18:57:00 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1
May  9 18:57:00 kernel: IRQ6 no longer affine to CPU1
May  9 18:58:40 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn on CPU#1
May  9 18:58:40 kernel: CPU1: Booted secondary processor
May  9 18:59:00 (wg_manager.sh): 21032 Clients ^[[97m0^[[95m, Servers ^[[97m1
May  9 19:02:49 kernel: thermal cooling_device1: turn off CPU#1
May  9 19:02:49 kernel: IRQ6 no longer affine to CPU1

I've placed a fan behind the router and now see high 60's temperatures and no issues since.

Edit: Previous to these error messages I seem to remember the cpu temp hovering in the low 80's normally.

Last edited:
Just had one RT-AC86U die on me and the other one WIFI died.I have 3 more still in working condition.
Will start replacing them as they fail.You know My RT-AC66U still works but can't handle the loads

Just had another RT-AC86U die..i was in the bedroom and smell something burning you know the scent electronics diode or whatever gives off.So now i ain't waiting anymore will replace the other 3 RT-AC86U asap

Always had fans on 3 of them, even if two are only used as APs and not really processing anything. The main router being used as Diversion+Skynet finally started killing one flash drive it's been using since 2018 (SD Formatter saved it). I don't know why restarts always cause the USB to not be seen until re-inserted (any drive) though. Which means it can't be set to restart every few nights because adblocking scripts gotta run to protect the roommates and myself from ourselves (thanks to all the devs for what they do). It feels like the main routers on its last legs though. Sometimes the CPU will freak out in log entries.

Edit: I didn't add this but had a 4th one that would do the same thing but it would do a boot sequence at least (LED) then hang so often, and took it out of network circulation.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!