What's new

Asus RT-AC86U keeps changing 5GHz Channel

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zvirus

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

My router keeps changing 5GHz channel on its own. From 100 to 36, sometimes to 40 at 80MHz. Sometimes after few hours, sometimes after few days. Why?

Asus Merlin 384.19

All features working PERFECT so far... even 2.4GHz band.

1604527747232.png

Thx
Tomas

you have to look at wifi traffic around you - there are some great free tools online for your pc/phone/tablet. Also if you live near an airport or satellite tracking station you might see channel hopping. And you can also set your channel manually with 20/40/80 (instead of 40/80 in the picture) and see if that helps.

you have to look at wifi traffic around you - there are some great free tools online for your pc/phone/tablet. Also if you live near an airport or satellite tracking station you might see channel hopping. And you can also set your channel manually with 20/40/80 (instead of 40/80 in the picture) and see if that helps.

What qualifies as "near" to an airport? Same city, within 5,10,15 miles? Just curious.

Look in the router's System Log it should tell you when it changes channel and the reason why (although the message is sometimes cryptic).

Hi,

My router keeps changing 5GHz channel on its own. From 100 to 36, sometimes to 40 at 80MHz. Sometimes after few hours, sometimes after few days. Why?

Asus Merlin 384.19

All features working PERFECT so far... even 2.4GHz band.

View attachment 27434

Thx
Tomas

Use a fixed, non-DFS channel. From my notes:

1604535875750.png

- set 5.0 WLAN to SSID, n/ac, 20/40/80 MHz, ch 36-48 52-144 (DFS) 149-161 165, WPA2-AES*

OE

Yes. Thank You. Melin has its own tool I use all time. My neighbors use only 2.4GHz with their crappy ISP routers. All 5GHz channels are free in my area. I live 10 miles from nearest airport.. Thanks for input.

Use a fixed, non-DFS channel. From my notes:

View attachment 27435

- set 5.0 WLAN to SSID, n/ac, 20/40/80 MHz, ch 36-48 52-144 (DFS) 149-161 165, WPA2-AES*

OE

Ok. Changed... to as above. Sometimes one of the neighbors 5GHz appears to work and their router is set to 36. Will that interfere? Their signal is around 65+ dBm

Ok. Changed... to as above. Sometimes one of the neighbors 5GHz appears to work and their router is set to 36. Will that interfere? Their signal is around 65+ dBm

The 2.4 GHz signal travels farther (different radio wave length). That is why you see your neighbor's 2.4 WiFi; and that is why you use 2.4 20 MHz bandwidth (not 40) so that you minimize interfering with your neighbors' WiFi.

Apparently, one of your neighbors is close enough for you to see their 5.0 WiFi signal on channel 36 (the rest are running 5.0 WiFi, too... it just doesn't reach you). Simply set a different 5.0 non-DFS channel to avoid the neighbor on channel 36.

If you ever use wireless AiMesh (another node), use the 5.0 channel that gives the strongest backhaul RSSI, Tx, Rx values as seen in the Wireless Log for the node's wireless backhaul MAC. Some channels will perform better than others.

OE

Well.. my 5GHz band channels start at 36 and ends at 140 is the last one. I do not have much choices... or tweaking... :( 36 or... nothing then...

1604591637986.png

1604591785798.png

Last edited:
Well.. my 5GHz band channels start at 36 and ends at 140 is the last one. I do not have much choices... or tweaking... :( 36 or... nothing then...
If it really is bothering you too much then you might want to change the Region to USA or Asia under 'Professional' tab (if this is available on your router) so see more bands. But be aware of local laws before doing this change though.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!