What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U or Asus RT-AC1900U (AC68U B1)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cifroes

New Around Here
Trying to replace a dead Archer C7 and I narrowed it down to these 2:
- AC86U - 139€
- AC1900U - 88€

Wishlist:
  • stable, reliable
  • custom firmwares available
  • allow VLAN tag / IPTV (need to replace my ISP router)
  • USB ports (usb speed not very important because I'm gonna use slow usb pen drives)
  • 5GHz
  • range isn't very important, it's a small house and the C7 was fine.

Basically save money and get a merlin supported AC1900U or get the 'top of line' in this price range with a powerfull cpu/memory with the 86U. I was happy with my old C7 except the DLNA that was very flaky (never indexed properly everything). USB share is important to me but speeds don't need to be extra high, just serving some files to watch video from there.

I also got very worried about the 86U reported problems with disconnects and 2.4 just dying. I really like stable and good equipment, don't like to waste time on warranty and solving issues (that's already my day job on another area). A very small problem I imagined is that the 86U also consumes a bit more electricity because of higher specs, still 5 ou 10€ per year is money :)

1) Would the RT-AC1900U be enough for me? is that a reliable product?
2) Which one would you get?
3) A trickier question, I'm still investigating if I can get a sales deal where the price difference between is just 26€, in that case would you go for the 86U?

If your reference point is the C7, then the AC66U_B1 will likely be more than enough. Only if you're envisioning running more CPU-intensive items and/or VPN would it be potentially worth it to jump up to the 86U (the 86U is 1.8Ghz per core (vs 1Ghz on the AC66U_B1), for roughly 1.5-2x the software-driven throughput, and crypto offload for ~3-4x the max VPN throughput). On the wireless side of things, the 86U is also 4x4 in 5Ghz (vs. 3x3 on the AC66U_B1), offering a bit of extra receive gain for typical 2x2 clients, which could potentially result in slightly more usable throughput over distance, but again, since you're coming from a C7, either choice should be as good or better.

Last edited:
If your reference point is the C7, then the AC66U_B1 will likely be more than enough. Only if you're envisioning running more CPU-intensive items and/or VPN would it be potentially worth it to jump up to the 86U (the 86U is 1.8Ghz per core (vs 1Ghz on the AC66U_B1), for roughly 1.5-2x the software-driven throughput, and crypto offload for ~3-4x the max VPN throughput). On the wireless side of things, the 86U is also 4x4 in 5Ghz (vs. 3x3 on the AC66U_B1), offering a bit of extra receive gain for typical 2x2 clients, which could potentially result in slightly more usable throughput over distance, but again, since you're coming from a C7, either choice should be as good or better.

Thank you very much, that is also a bit of my reasoning, although the media share of C7 wasn't working and I imagine that takes a bit of resources to run properly.

AC66U_B1 is actually more expensive here, around 100€ so I would always get the AC1900U but I think that's fine because it's the same thing?

I do have the money for the AC86U, but I'm almost certain AC1900U would be enough and probably use less electricity (and lower range is even better, C7 was perfect because it didn't reach the kids rooms so no mobiles there :D ) I think I'll just a few days to see if any deals popup and decide just based on €€ :)

another very small detail is that one is a 'vertical' router and another an "horizontal" one. Does that make significant difference? I only had horizontal routers before so I don't know if a vertical form factor is actually better to keep things tidy or worse.

another very small detail is that one is a 'vertical' router and another an "horizontal" one. Does that make significant difference? I only had horizontal routers before so I don't know if a vertical form factor is actually better to keep things tidy or worse.
In my experience the tidyness would depend on the area or location.
The RT-AC66U_B1 , with the exception of the USB3 port , has the ports along the top and lends itself well to wall mounting as well as to sitting flat on a desk or shelf. If you consider the RT-AC66U be sure it is the newer _B1 hardware.
In the US NewEgg has pairs of the RT-AC66U_B1 listed on eBay for $130 USD right now.
I'm new here and not sure about sharing links to outside SNB and don't want to "go away" after my first post.

The RT-AC68U has the ports in the back when in an upright position. This wouldn't lend itself well to using it in a horizontal position. On a shelf or in a cabinet it does work well, having a smaller 'foot print' requiring less space.

I don't have an RT-AC86U to have hands on experience with it. But photos of it show the ports are arranged much like on RT-AC68U for use in an upright or vertical position with the smaller foot print than a horizontal device.
My RT-AC88U has them in the back similar to my 56's and 66's for better wall mounting, but was disappointingly huge and not found it's way into service to replace my RT-AC66U or the older RT-N66U, yet.

We don't have IPTV nor do I use a VPN but my RT-N56U regularly handles 20+ mixed WiFi clients in my sons 2500 sq. ft. office.
It is mostly used for an internet connection with some printing tanks and light file sharing streaming to a TV in the waiting room.
The 66's easily handle a similar # of clients and tasks. One of the 66's has a DNS black hole providing internet to my house and 3 neighboring houses from a window here.

I personally wouldn't risk compromising the best choice for the entire network itself over the appearance or orientation of a single all-in-one. If it's that important, I'd just use the opportunity to move on altogether from the whole all-in-one paradigm to discrete components (wired router, switch and APs), which is how big-boy networks are built anyways.

ASUS RT-AC86U has detachable antennas that can be easily replaced with hi-gain antennas.

The Asus RT-AC1900U (AC68U B1) has non-removable antennas.