What's new

ASUS rt-ac86u stops broadcasting 2 ghz

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Island

Regular Contributor
Greetings fellas- I have read all the threads with the 86u hardware issue with the wireless channel and wanted some feedback and help from you guys if possible? I purchased 2 of the 86u's back when they first came out, so I've had them installed for almost 2 years. I also have a rt3100 that has been running perfectly for almost 3-4 years. I set up a mesh network awhile ago and like a lot of people, I had been getting a lot of disconnected devices on the 2 ghz channel which would only correct itself with a reboot of all the routers.

I have been using one of the 86u's as the main router and the other 86u and 3100 as mesh nodes. I use the Asus factory firmware and update religiously and have had the wireless issue with every firmware upgrade, so I believe the problem is hardware related. I narrowed it down to my 86u that is the mesh node. What will happen is after a day or 2, I've noticed that the 2ghz channel on the 86u will just stop transmitting. The activity light will remain solid and all the 2ghz devices connected to it will end up connecting to the main router or will stay offline.

I have found that disabling wifi on the node and turning it back on will re-establish the 2 ghz channel and my devices will reconnect once again. This happens with smart connect enabled or disabled and also setting the 2 ghz channel manually. I am thinking that the 86u node has a hardware issue but I am not certain.

Sucks having to do this every other day to get my mesh system to work properly. I was wondering if there was some way I could insert code to reboot the 2ghz channel everyday to reset it or if there was any fix you guys could recommend? Seems like this is a known issue that Asus wants to sweep under the rug?? Thanks guys!

Greetings fellas- I have read all the threads with the 86u hardware issue with the wireless channel and wanted some feedback and help from you guys if possible? I purchased 2 of the 86u's back when they first came out, so I've had them installed for almost 2 years. I also have a rt3100 that has been running perfectly for almost 3-4 years. I set up a mesh network awhile ago and like a lot of people, I had been getting a lot of disconnected devices on the 2 ghz channel which would only correct itself with a reboot of all the routers.

I have been using one of the 86u's as the main router and the other 86u and 3100 as mesh nodes. I use the Asus factory firmware and update religiously and have had the wireless issue with every firmware upgrade, so I believe the problem is hardware related. I narrowed it down to my 86u that is the mesh node. What will happen is after a day or 2, I've noticed that the 2ghz channel on the 86u will just stop transmitting. The activity light will remain solid and all the 2ghz devices connected to it will end up connecting to the main router or will stay offline.

I have found that disabling wifi on the node and turning it back on will re-establish the 2 ghz channel and my devices will reconnect once again. This happens with smart connect enabled or disabled and also setting the 2 ghz channel manually. I am thinking that the 86u node has a hardware issue but I am not certain.

Sucks having to do this every other day to get my mesh system to work properly. I was wondering if there was some way I could insert code to reboot the 2ghz channel everyday to reset it or if there was any fix you guys could recommend? Seems like this is a known issue that Asus wants to sweep under the rug?? Thanks guys!

If the AC86U radio(s) do not stay ON and stable after a factory default reset, I would replace it. You could reset, reflash, and reset again; but that won't fix failing hardware.

OE

If the AC86U radio(s) do not stay ON and stable after a factory default reset, I would replace it. You could reset, reflash, and reset again; but that won't fix failing hardware.

OE
Thanks for the reply Ozark- The 2ghz channel does stay lit on the 86u mesh node but it is solid and their is no "blinking" to show the channel is transmitting. My main router and 3100 2 ghz channels are working fine. I have done a factory reset on the 86u node and the problem persists. I would assume Asus will not help as my 86u's are probably close to 2 years old?

If your AC86 was manufactured in 2018 the 2.4 Ghz radio failing was a common failure mode. Usually sooner than a year but there were also complaints about it happening soon after the router's one year warranty expired.

If the nuclear resets don't give you a stable router then time to move on.

Thanks for the reply Ozark- The 2ghz channel does stay lit on the 86u mesh node but it is solid and their is no "blinking" to show the channel is transmitting. My main router and 3100 2 ghz channels are working fine. I have done a factory reset on the 86u node and the problem persists. I would assume Asus will not help as my 86u's are probably close to 2 years old?

You'll have to determine and process any warranty. Asus replaced one of my AC86Us at 23+ months under its 2-year warranty (US).

OE

You'll have to determine and process any warranty. Asus replaced one of my AC86Us at 23+ months under its 2-year warranty (US).

OE

I was hoping that my AC86U, bought in Nov 2017, would have a three years warranty (UK) as mine has recently started to fail only on the 2.4Ghz radio...

xxx.jpg

regardless of hard reset and manually entering settings every few days it seems that the 2.4Ghz radio will still show its SSID but nothing will work on it. A reboot of the router isn't needed, I just need to stop and restart the 2.4Ghz radio and all is well for a few days.

I'm going back to the std firmware, never used that in three years as I have always used Merlin's.

I'll check the warranty status, thankfully I did register it.

Thankfully it is still in warranty. It is guaranteed for three years.

Agent advised going to an older firmware as they have received calls about this latest one giving similar issues. If it works then great if not I'll return the router to Amazon.

Last edited:
I was hoping that my AC86U, bought in Nov 2017, would have a three years warranty (UK) as mine has recently started to fail only on the 2.4Ghz radio...

regardless of hard reset and manually entering settings every few days it seems that the 2.4Ghz radio will still show its SSID but nothing will work on it. A reboot of the router isn't needed, I just need to stop and restart the 2.4Ghz radio and all is well for a few days.

I'm going back to the std firmware, never used that in three years as I have always used Merlin's.

I'll check the warranty status, thankfully I did register it.

Thankfully it is still in warranty. It is guaranteed for three years.

Agent advised going to an older firmware as they have received calls about this latest one giving similar issues. If it works then great if not I'll return the router to Amazon.

If u read my original post, mine is doing the EXACT same thing! Definitely must be an issue with these routers. I just put in an email with Asus tech support. Let's see if they give me the run around and tell me I'm S*** out of luck or they somehow do the right thing and Send me and RMA for this faulty router

If u read my original post, mine is doing the EXACT same thing! Definitely must be an issue with these routers. I just put in an email with Asus tech support. Let's see if they give me the run around and tell me I'm S*** out of luck or they somehow do the right thing and Send me and RMA for this faulty router

That's why I replied in this thread. Noting that yours' is doing the same thing. Going back to a previous firmware might or might not resolve the issue. But I have now got a reference number to return it back to Amazon authorised by Asus. if needed. That is at least something.
I don't need to return it to them but Amazon if needed.

What will happen is after a day or 2, I've noticed that the 2ghz channel on the 86u will just stop transmitting. The activity light will remain solid and all the 2ghz devices connected to it will end up connecting to the main router or will stay offline.

I had this same issue and more. I also wrote about it in a past post:

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/is-the-grass-greener-on-the-asus-side.64156/post-585055

Not only was 2.4 going out, sometimes it would be the 5 instead. And sometimes when 2.4 is going crazy, the node's 2.4 LED would actually be flashing instead of solid. Whatever the case, some of my 2.4 devices that were previously connected were now disconnected. The only resolution was rebooting the router(s). If I check the router admin before rebooting, the Wireless Log would show one of these strange things: the node router would not be listed as a client in the 2.4 or 5 list, the Wireless Log would be truncated after the 2.4 info (meaning there is no info about the 5).

I went through 2 replacements and firmware hopping, resets and settings adjustments and still nothing. Even the latest ASUS firmware auto-update didn't prevent this issue from occurring again. At one point when I was firmware hopping, I managed to get about 30-40 consecutive days of no issues with main 86U at x81352 and node 86U at x81369. But I forgot if I changed something or the router(s) did something.

However I think I might have finally found something.

I suspect it's a combination of resetting and one of my 2.4 IP cameras.

After two reboots on the same day, once in the afternoon and another in the evening, I finally decided to reset and re-flash the firmware to the latest, x82072, using ASUS Firmware Restoration Utility software. I also entered the settings manually instead of using the "restore-settings-from-a-file" feature so that I can see the differences from the firmware's defaults. I did this b/c my settings were made on a firmware version before ASUS did the firmware auto-update. I accepted the firmware defaults for any of the differences that I didn't recognize.

For wifi, what I do is name the SSID's to something else. (I don't use SmartConnect.) It's because I don't want my devices to connect while I'm still configuring the routers. Then I add the AiMesh node and place the node in the location that I want. Finally after everything is configured and both routers are connected in AiMesh, I then change the SSID's back to their original names so my devices can connect.

For 2.4, I turn off roaming assistant, disable Airtime Fairness. I use 20 MHz and Ch. 6 but everything else is firmware defaults. For 5, I do enable roaming assistant but disable Airtime Fairness. I use "N/AC mixed", 20/40/80 MHz and Ch. 149 but everything else is firmware defaults. The next day unfortunately one of my 2.4 IP cameras disconnected. After some investigation, I decided to update its firmware and I haven't had any router disruptions or client disconnects for about 3 days now.

My continuing issues.....

Great......(not)

Asus believe that my router has an hardware fault following further 2.4Ghz radio issues and they wish it to be replaced. Checked warranty status and it is still within warranty but they have an agreement with Amazon to process their returns and replacements in the UK.

Amazon.....Sympathised but will not agree to such a return and then told to deal with Asus directly.

Amazon Management...... Agree, sympathise but not something that we will help with. We will not process any returns on behalf of Asus.
Asked them to confirm that by email, which they did.

Asus - it is typically always Amazon where we have these issues. Other smaller retailers have no issues with this arrangements. We will escalate this and get back to you.
Asked for invoice as well as Amazon's response to be sent, which I did.

Not the best of starts.

My continuing issues.....

Great......(not)

Asus believe that my router has an hardware fault following further 2.4Ghz radio issues and they wish it to be replaced. Checked warranty status and it is still within warranty but they have an agreement with Amazon to process their returns and replacements in the UK.

Amazon.....Sympathised but will not agree to such a return and then told to deal with Asus directly.

Amazon Management...... Agree, sympathise but not something that we will help with. We will not process any returns on behalf of Asus.
Asked them to confirm that by email, which they did.

Asus - it is typically always Amazon where we have these issues. Other smaller retailers have no issues with this arrangements. We will escalate this and get back to you.
Asked for invoice as well as Amazon's response to be sent, which I did.

Not the best of starts.

Are you prime? I can't believe they did that. I never even heard of such a thing to be honest. You sure the Asus guy wasn't jerking your chain? lol very weird. I would complain to both companies again.

2020 revision here and I'm having the same issue after 3 weeks. had headaches since day 1 and just when I thought I got everything working right after my last factory reset, first the 2.4 ghz guest network dropped all connections onday. I thought ok maybe cause it was guest network some bug. Now 2 days later it randomly drops all 2.4ghz connections and I have to reboot the router. I'm returning the dam thing while I still have time not gonna wait for it to get even worse. I'm so disappointed.

Are you prime? I can't believe they did that. I never even heard of such a thing to be honest. You sure the Asus guy wasn't jerking your chain? lol very weird. I would complain to both companies again.

2020 revision here and I'm having the same issue after 3 weeks. had headaches since day 1 and just when I thought I got everything working right after my last factory reset, first the 2.4 ghz guest network dropped all connections onday. I thought ok maybe cause it was guest network some bug. Now 2 days later it randomly drops all 2.4ghz connections and I have to reboot the router. I'm returning the dam thing while I still have time not gonna wait for it to get even worse. I'm so disappointed.

Eventually I got though to a third tier level manager at Asus, they were really trying to help but still pointed out that Amazon seem to be the only retailer giving them issues as I described when it came to exchanging these routers.
Asus sent me a stack of documents to print and scan and then return to them. That was to officially enable them to buy back my router, as a one off gesture, to at least comply with the warranty of three years. On one of the forms they required the full postal address of the retailer. I just entered "Amazon". That was not good enough and I spoke to Amazon yet again and they refused to give me a postal address, stating that they do not have one. I spent some time on the phone when the agent placed me on hold and returned offering me a full refund...!!!! I could not believe that turn around.
Yes I'm a Prime member, have been a member of Amazon since 2000.
I got my return label from Amazon and returned the router and my refund was processed as soon as it was in the post, not needing to wait for them to receive it....!
I contacted Asus and told them of Amazon's change of mind.

The whole process was equal parts surreal and very frustrating.
As excellent as Amazon have been there are times when they will be most problematic when it comes to products having extended warranties offered by the manufacturer, even tho their own advert highlights that feature, thinking about the router in my case.
I now have a AX88U - which worked out cheaper than I paid for the AC86U in 2017.

I used to need to reboot the router but then figured all I needed to do was to stop the 2.4Ghz radio and then restart it, same result. Are you using the official or Merlin's firmware...?

Good luck, what other router would you go for..?

BTW This is how it is supposed to work in the UK.....

Performance-ASUS-AC88U-MU-MIMO-WiFi-Broadband-Gaming-Router-LN69145-90IG01Z0-BU2000-SCAN-UK.png

and they even offer a replacement within 48 hours of receipt of the old one....

Performance-ASUS-AC88U-MU-MIMO-WiFi-Broadband-Gaming-Router-LN69145-90IG01Z0-BU2000-SCAN-UK (1).png

Eventually I got though to a third tier level manager at Asus, they were really trying to help but still pointed out that Amazon seem to be the only retailer giving them issues as I described when it came to exchanging these routers.
Asus sent me a stack of documents to print and scan and then return to them. That was to officially enable them to buy back my router, as a one off gesture, to at least comply with the warranty of three years. On one of the forms they required the full postal address of the retailer. I just entered "Amazon". That was not good enough and I spoke to Amazon yet again and they refused to give me a postal address, stating that they do not have one. I spent some time on the phone when the agent placed me on hold and returned offering me a full refund...!!!! I could not believe that turn around.
Yes I'm a Prime member, have been a member of Amazon since 2000.
I got my return label from Amazon and returned the router and my refund was processed as soon as it was in the post, not needing to wait for them to receive it....!
I contacted Asus and told them of Amazon's change of mind.

The whole process was equal parts surreal and very frustrating.
As excellent as Amazon have been there are times when they will be most problematic when it comes to products having extended warranties offered by the manufacturer, even tho their own advert highlights that feature, thinking about the router in my case.
I now have a AX88U - which worked out cheaper than I paid for the AC86U in 2017.

I used to need to reboot the router but then figured all I needed to do was to stop the 2.4Ghz radio and then restart it, same result. Are you using the official or Merlin's firmware...?

Good luck, what other router would you go for..?

BTW This is how it is supposed to work in the UK.....

View attachment 27376

and they even offer a replacement within 48 hours of receipt of the old one....

View attachment 27377

well done. and thats great, wish amazon in the USA worked like that!! lol

I ended up just going back to my ac66u_b1. everything works as it should with the same settings. THe range is not as great and the openvpn is like 5x slower. But to be honest I was wasting my money cause I don't really need those things. 30MBps is fine for my iot devices i have going behind the vpn on router. and my pc's and mobile devices use the vpn o/s app which is faster then even the ac86u openvpn anyways. Only thing is now I have my tv's not going through a vpn, but honestly there is no reason to have them behind a vpn who cares if someone sees me connecting to netflix. I originally had the tv's going behind the vpn because on 9/11 in my area the routing was all screwed up. all fios users in my area had their connections slowed to a crawl but using a vpn fixed the issue. Verizon claimed a server went down, was highly suspcious. But that happens so rarely that its probably not necessary> I can still in an emergency put one tv at least behind the router vpn if needed.

But long story short, the ac86u had slightly better range and much faster openvpn, but it was not worth it cause everything else about that pile of trash was a downgrade. Literally.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!