What's new

ASUS RT-AC86U USB capability

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Can someone tell me if either of the ASUS RT-AC86U usb ports will support a hub.
Thanks, John.

I can't confirm but I would think standard USB should support a hub. However, I would be concerned if a hub increases the current draw through an AC86U since we already know that the AC86U is prone to burning out some voltage regulator chip (?) in its power circuit.

OE

Thanks for your replies. Yes I would like to have two HDDs attached. I have been using a TP Link Archer C9 with two attached HDDs that served admirably for 6 years until the USB circuitry failed a few weeks ago. A Seagate 5TB HDD was was powered by the USB 3 port and a Seagate expansion desktop HDD powered by a wall wort was connected to the USB 2 port. The wifi still works.
Any suggestions for an equivalent replacement similar to the C9 that doesn't cost an arm and a leg would be appreciated.

I use the APANAGE 11-Port USB 3.0 Hub with 7 USB drives connected to the USB 3.0 port on my RT-AC86U and it works well. Connecting two drives with a USB hub should work without issue.

7 USB drives connected to the USB 3.0 port on my RT-AC86U and it works well.

When I tested AC86U USB 3.0 performance I used a single external WD My Passport 1TB HDD. Every attempt to transfer GB's of mixed data at once was causing WAN disconnection and loss of WLAN. Further investigation showed the router is running low on RAM. Folks with AX88U and AX86U models with 1GB RAM report better results, but AC86U with 512MB RAM used as NAS becomes unstable. The same was reported for other 512MB RAM HND router models. Strangely enough the older AC68U with only 256MB RAM doesn't crash. It's slower, but more stable. I don't know how well AC86U works for you with 7 USB drives attached. Most folks realize it was a bad idea when they lose data.

I have zero issues with sharing 7 USB drives on my RT-AC86U. All of the issues I observed with my setup were resolved by physically connecting my two routers (RT-AX68U <-> RT-AC86U) and enabling Ethernet backhaul. My RT-AC86U has 512MB of memory, but I have never noticed the issues that you have seen.

Perhaps because you never pushed it hard enough. When I test something I want to see how far it can go. I have a NAS where 4 PC's do backups. The backup folder is many GB with large and very small files, in thousands. I just tried to copy this folder to the AC86U USB attached HDD. The router crashed every time. I could never complete the copy process. Asuswrt or Asuswrt-Merlin, the same result. I had 3x AC86U routers at the time, all the same. Later I've got one AX58U, also 512MB RAM HND router. It also can't complete the copy, out of RAM. AC1900P did complete the test, struggling for hours.

Can someone tell me if either of the ASUS RT-AC86U usb ports will support a hub.
Thanks, John.
usb2.0 can supply max 2.5W of power according to standard (max current 500mA)
usb3.0 dual lane can supply max 7.5W of power according to standard (max current 900mA single lane/1500mA dual lane)
interestingly any of these is enough to power supply a single modern SSD or a 2.5" HDD
if you're planning to connect a 3.5" HDD or more than a single drive to the device consider an externally powered hub

Personally, the supplied power supply for the AC86U is barely sufficient to meet the routers needs let alone any kind of external SDD or HDD. I would make sure you use something with an external supply.

Thanks for advice about a powered USB hub. I have ordered a Sabrent hub with external power supply, it should not load the router USB port.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!