What's new

Asus Rt-ac86u vs rt-ac3100 price?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

routerq

Occasional Visitor
I was researching ASUS routers and I see that on eBay RT-AC86U/ac2900 is consistently more costly than RT-AC3100.... any thoughts why?

Newer model with faster hardware. Don't buy AC86U off eBay. Go for the newer and perhaps more reliable AX86U.

You don't want to hit another defective unit on eBay. If you want AC86U - new only and with maximum warranty available.

Newer model with faster hardware. Don't buy AC86U off eBay. Don't buy AC86U now, go for the newer and perhaps more reliable AX86U.

You don't want to hit another defective unit on eBay. If you want AC86U - new only and with maximum warranty available.
Beg to differ on the "don't buy an AC86U" part. I think it's still a great router and well worth the price. Obviously I'm biased because I have one, and not saying it's better than the AX, but still an excellent choice if you're not in need of AX and want to save a few bucks.

Both are excellent, can't go wrong with either one.

Don't buy AC86U off eBay. Read the entire post, please.
"Don't buy AC86U now, go for the newer and perhaps more reliable AX86U"

This is what you had written originally, I know you said don't buy it off eBay at first, but the second part didn't sound like that, so my apologies for interpreting it incorrectly.

Ah, okay. I did edit the post seconds after. AC86U is indeed very good performer, but I don't know how the newer ones are made. Manufactured in 2017-2018 models die in big numbers. There are reports of 2019-2020 models overheating. I would still avoid it. It's the first Asus HND design router.

thanks guys ... none of my devices are AX ... and my ac68u is going strong ... i am more limtied by my ISP who give only 5mbps up than my devices...

having said that ... I am sticking to my ac68u for time begin. As I said in my other post .. I will convert it to AP and the defective 5300 into the wired router ...

PS: thanks a lot guys for the insights...

Ah, okay. I did edit the post seconds after. AC86U is indeed very good performer, but I don't know how the newer ones are made. Manufactured in 2017-2018 models die in big numbers. There are reports of 2019-2020 models overheating. I would still avoid it. It's the first Asus HND design router.
Buy two then , AX86U for being AiMesh Router and AC86U for being AiMesh node :) done done!

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!