What's new

Asus RT-AC87U problems with intel adapters

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

CanadianOwner

New Around Here
Hi everyone!

I just bought the Asus RT-AC87U, and have a bit of problems with it. I have a couple of devices, but the only ones with problems are a laptop and desktop. Whats similar about them is they both have intel wireless adapters & windows 8.1 . They worked fine with the old router.

Laptop - Intel 6235
Desktop - Intel 6205

Occasionally, the connected become limited, and I loose internet connection.
I was able to catch this screenshot one time when it happened. I was able to access the config site perfectly on my phone (Samsung S5). I assigned both computers static ip/dchps, but they keep on "losing" their adress

The desktop has been temporarily calmed by disabling wirelss N and used a/b/g only.

Any ideas of what I should do?

Attachments

• Screenshot (5).jpg
    Screenshot (5).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 511
No issue with my Intel 7260AC, so if there's an issue, it's not widespread to all models.

Intel's drivers are often iffy - updating with the latest version from their website isi ndeed the first thing to try. Also, make sure you forget any configured network if you just upgraded to a new router without changing SSID.

Hello,

On my laptop when I was using Intel 6235 with no issues. Speed was always listed at 300Mbps. Maintained connection flawlessly.
However once I installed an 7260AC the only issue was when the laptop awoke from sleep and could not connect to the router. This is not a router issue but a known issue with the 17.1.0 with pro set. Intel forum has quite a few of unhappy people with this and support is aware of the issue.
Reverting to an older version solved this.

RMerlin, what driver version are you using? Any changes to the default card config that might make yours not behave as mine did?
There is supposedly a windows 8.1 fast boot work around but I am using windows 7.

Hello,

On my laptop when I was using Intel 6235 with no issues. Speed was always listed at 300Mbps. Maintained connection flawlessly.
However once I installed an 7260AC the only issue was when the laptop awoke from sleep and could not connect to the router. This is not a router issue but a known issue with the 17.1.0 with pro set. Intel forum has quite a few of unhappy people with this and support is aware of the issue.
Reverting to an older version solved this.

RMerlin, what driver version are you using? Any changes to the default card config that might make yours not behave as mine did?
There is supposedly a windows 8.1 fast boot work around but I am using windows 7.

Uninstall the pro set software. You don't need it.

Hello,

Did that but the only solution was an older driver version.
A few NIC driver lessons I have learned:
  • Never change a winning team! For Windows most times the Windows standard drivers do a good job. Do not touch the NIC drivers unless you have issues.
  • Never *no NEVER* update the NIC drivers through Windows Update.
  • Preferably download the drivers from the computer manufacturer support site for your model computer.
  • If the above fails, download drivers from the NIC manufacturer website for your NIC type.
  • Preferably install the drivers the easy way: download, unpack, then go to the NIC properties and select Update driver from there, browse to the unpacked driver files and let Windows only install what it needs (never install the complete driver "package" with numerous worthless bells and whistles). This also easily allows to roll back to the old driver.
  • If the driver comes in one install package, then try to deselect all options and select only "drivers" to install.

Last edited:
Oh Wow! Thanks for all the replies :)

What I did before was uninstall all drivers and use the windows provided ones - it still gave me errors. I just updated to the latest without proset - still gave me the same problem.

I'm going to unpack the .exe and let windows find the drivers on its own. Surprisingly, they work fine when I disable 802.11n mode. I've deleted the connection and reconnected to. Here is a video with my issues. I've started to use my phone as a temporary tether!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W3HWwz9GyCk&list=UU6OPxUBjpCz75wyCLAl-Lwg&index=1

EDIT: I'm flashing RMerlin's build! I'm honored to have him helping me in this thread :)

Last edited:

I'm using 17.1.0.19 (dated from July 2014), however my laptop is on Windows 7. I heard that a lot of the Intel issues were specific to Windows 8/8.1.

I don't remember changing any of the advanced settings. Perhaps the new turbo option Intel recently added (I can't remember the actual name) but that'd be it.

So far
* latest intel drivers
*Rmerlin's latest build
*Factory reset + enabled adaptive qos.
1 hour without any disconnect (so far).

Could the protect b/g option make any difference? I left it clicked on this time.

I spoke too soon. It lost connectivity again :(

I just split the ssid for 5ghz and 2.4ghz. I'm forcing it to connect to 5ghz, I'll see if that results in any problems.

EDIT: alright 1 minute in and it lost connectivity from the 5ghz network. On to the 2.4

Last edited:
I'm not having issues with my Intel 6300. I also haven't had issues with the AC7260 from work --and I would have considered that more likely, as Intel has had some bluescreen issues with the AC7260 connecting to some WAPs if drivers for the NIC (or firmware on the WAP) isn't up to date.

I'm using both on the 5GHz network.

A bit of an update. So i seperated the connections , and both adapters are rock solid on the 2.4ghz network. I guess I'll keep the router , considering it has great performance on both bands.

I'm hoping an update in the future will fix my issues. Do you guys think its worth it keeping it now? I mean, it covers the entire house with both bands, and the computers get full bars on 2.4ghz.

Hello,

I am quite pleased with mine and has better coverage than the previous 1watt router that we had. Have not really had any issues with it and can only get better with future firmware updates.

I think this is one of those flakey Win 8.1 driver issues, where someone's computer has received some Win 8.1 updates that another hasn't, or because of OS-Versions or hardware, not necessarily just the NIC, but HDMI bleedover, or something else.

We sometimes solve these by installing the Win 8.0 driver and manually searching and selecting that one, but that also isn't 100% certain.

But "flakey" and "Win 8.1 NIC drivers" seem to go hand-in-hand. It's terrible that we can take the same hardware back to Win 8.0 and all that flakey-ness goes away. Poof.

A bit of an update. So i seperated the connections , and both adapters are rock solid on the 2.4ghz network. I guess I'll keep the router , considering it has great performance on both bands.

I'm hoping an update in the future will fix my issues. Do you guys think its worth it keeping it now? I mean, it covers the entire house with both bands, and the computers get full bars on 2.4ghz.

This worked for me all the time:

First remove anything from Intel related to wireles in "Program and Features".

Delete all Wireles profiles.

Then start Device Manager and uninstall the driver for the wireless card AND don't forget to check the box "delete the driver software for this device" Scan for hardware changes. Delete and remove again until you get the default Microsoft driver.

Install just the latest drivers, not the proset software.

One more setting: disable the setting where the OS is allowed to switch off power for the card to save energie.

If you still have disconnects switch of U-APSD support in advanced setting of the driver. It gives no problems with the ac66 buth the ac87 is a total different beast on 5 ghz.

I never have disconnects and the card(7260) reconnects within a second after sleep.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!