What's new

Asus RT-AC87U USB3 Attached Storage Drops Off

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

BasicBlue

Occasional Visitor
Hello,

I am using the above router with the latest factory firmware. I am having issues where my attached USB3 storage is dropping off regularly.

I am not sure if the HDD is going to sleep and the router cant wake it up or if it is a router issue. Once it drops off the only way I can get the router to recognize it again is by disconnecting the cable and reattaching. It usually recognizes but occasionally I need to reboot / power down to get it back up and visible to the router.

Any thoughts or experiences that might help me figure out what is going on would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Is the USB disk bus-powered, or relying on an external AC adapter? Some USB-powered disks might have issues if they don't get enough current.

What specific firmware are you using on the router? (Might help someone respond better).

Have you been using it successfully with previous firmware?

Have you tried properly flashing RMerlin firmware v384.13_6 on your router?

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/download

https://www.asuswrt-merlin.net/features
Hi,

I am using firmware 3.0.0.4.382_51939
I have not tried Merlin or any other custom firmware as I did not think I should need to for such basic functionality. I also bricked a router in the past so I try to avoid non-factory firmware.... Maybe I am silly.

Hi,

I am using firmware 3.0.0.4.382_51939
I have not tried Merlin or any other custom firmware as I did not think I should need to for such basic functionality. I also bricked a router in the past so I try to avoid non-factory firmware.... Maybe I am silly.

No, you're not silly, just careful. But know that it is almost impossible to brick an Asus router with stock Asus or RMerlin firmware (which closely follows what Asus is doing, but with more attention to squashing bugs). :)

I still suggest you try RMerlin if your issues don't get solved soon.

But in the meantime, you may want to check your USB drive for errors on a PC first and fix any errors found.

If issues continue, you may then want to follow the M&M Config guide (link in my signature below) to fully reset the router to factory defaults if you haven't done that recently (or, at all). :)

After doing a full reset, do not import a saved backup config file.

Do not do the reset with any USB devices attached. :)

HTH. :)

No, you're not silly, just careful. But know that it is almost impossible to brick an Asus router with stock Asus or RMerlin firmware (which closely follows what Asus is doing, but with more attention to squashing bugs). :)

I still suggest you try RMerlin if your issues don't get solved soon.

But in the meantime, you may want to check your USB drive for errors on a PC first and fix any errors found.

If issues continue, you may then want to follow the M&M Config guide (link in my signature below) to fully reset the router to factory defaults if you haven't done that recently (or, at all). :)

After doing a full reset, do not import a saved backup config file.

Do not do the reset with any USB devices attached. :)

HTH. :)
Thank you for the insight. I will try the fresh factory reset first then if no improvement, try the firmware and report back.

Thanks,

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!