What's new

Asus RT-AC88U and Virgin media - newbie in search of help getting a stable connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Yup - will do that after one last idea - find my tablet and log into the router using the app.

Well that actually worked, well sort of! I'm into the dashboard via a browser window on a tablet connected to the WiFi! The first time in 24 hours I've managed to get into the dashboard. Now if only I could remember why I wanted to be here......

Last edited:
Log into the Asus and go to Administration > System. Make sure Enable WAN down browser redirect notice is set to No.

Also take a look at the System Log > General Log. If the Hub is continually rebooting itself you will see the WAN interface constantly going up and down.

It is set to "No".

Now there are some settings here relating to Remote Access Config that I don't understand enough about but appear to be doing what you said about port 84433 - Enable Web Access from WAN is set to "Yes" - I don't recall doing that but as I'm not entirely sure what it does, do I need it?

OK - more progress. I can now get into the Dsahboard on my main Windows machine that's hard wired to the Router - I'm accessing it via 192.168.1.1:8443/index.asp
This gets me in but displays a warning that it's "not secure" and shows the url with a red, strike through HTTPS

OK - more progress. I can now get into the Dsahboard on my main Windows machine that's hard wired to the Router - I'm accessing it via 192.168.1.1:8443/index.asp
This gets me in but displays a warning that it's "not secure" and shows the url with a red, strike through HTTPS
The warning is normal and can be ignored.

Check what firmware version you are using. I think the app used to enable remote access which is a security issue and is not recommended, although at least it did get you to log in successfully!

The default settings should look like this:
Untitled.png

If you wanted to enable HTTP and HTTPS access (from the LAN) it would look like this:
Untitled.png

Last edited:
OK - thanks Colin, I had "BOTH" and remote access enabled so Ieft "BOTH" and turned off the remote access.

Interestingly, the logs, such as they are, have loads of activity on May 5th then nothing (and I mean nothing at all) until today!

The May 5th log entries are normal when the router boots up. It doesn't have a battery-backed clock so it reverts to its default date (May 5th) until it gets a connection to the internet when it can then correct the date and time from NTP.

If you scroll back past the May 5th entries you should be able to see the earlier logs.

That's the weird thing, there is nothing other than today and May 5th, nothing but those two dates.
No matter, it is what it is, now I'm back in, I'd really like to understand my issues, the one that's bothering me the most is why, when I lose the Virgin internet connection, does the whole thing go dark on me - surely I should be able to see my local connected devices, shouldn't I?

That's the weird thing, there is nothing other than today and May 5th, nothing but those two dates.
That might indicate that the router was factory reset. Did you press the reset button on the unit? If not that might indicate an impending hardware failure.

No matter, it is what it is, now I'm back in, I'd really like to understand my issues, the one that's bothering me the most is why, when I lose the Virgin internet connection, does the whole thing go dark on me - surely I should be able to see my local connected devices, shouldn't I?
When the Asus loses connection to the internet it tries to reset the WAN connection. This can take a couple of minutes before it gives up. I've seen situations where the WAN port was 'flapping' (due to a faulty cable or the Hub being in a reboot loop) which in turn meant the Asus was constantly resetting itself and causing bizarre behaviour.

As you said there was no obvious errors in the Hub's log I'd suggest that you change the patch cable between the Hub and the router. Also, visually check the WAN socket for signs of dirt, corrosion or damage.

While logged into the router and looking at the system log try unplugging the WAN cable to simulate the problem. Do you lose connectivity like before? What do you see in the system log?

OK - patch lead was new a few months ago when the router was installed, I've got some other new ones and will swap that out. I can't see anything obvious in the ports but I'll get my magnifier out and have a proper look.
I'm not seeing any obvious warnings in the log but have to admit that I have no real clue what I'm looking for.
I've saved the log file, I want to clear it now, is that reasonable?

It's all been working OK today, even managed to get the new robot vac connected to a guest vlanafter much messing about, internet seemed stable.
I still don't understand why the network goes down when the internet goes off - any thoughts? Is that normal or done have something set up wrong?

I still don't understand why the network goes down when the internet goes off - any thoughts? Is that normal or done have something set up wrong?
No, the LAN shouldn't go down when you lose the internet. My guess is that "when the internet goes off" it's not actually an internet problem but the router crashing and rebooting itself. The only way to know for sure is to capture the system log when it happens.

Last edited:
I spotted that my router gets WAN IP 192.168.1.1 sometimes when the internet is off. Try to change the IP address range for LAN to something less likely to be incompatible.
I don't know how to change the IP address range, where do i find those settings?

No, the LAN shouldn't go down when you lose the internet. My guess is that "when the internet goes off" it's not actually an internet problem but the router crashing and rebooting itself. The only way to know for sure is to capture the system log when it happens.
Right, this morning I have awoken to the first day back at work and no internet!

Here's what I find -
I can't get into the router to check the logs via the Windows machine - internet goes down, everything goes down so I can't get to the Asus dashboard.
So, I try and think about what's happening and where the dependency/conflict is - meanwhile I think I'll fire up the Ubuntu machine (that's connected via RJ45 cable to the router) so I can use that machine's WiFi to pick up the hotspot on my phone, just so I can get on line and post here!

In starting the Ubuntu machine I try the Asus page (before I've connected to the phone) and what do you know! I can get to the Dashboard via 192.168.1.1 !
OK so I take a look at the log file and it doesn't start until 08:02:08 this morning! I reset it yesterday at 17:28:41 (although the log has Jan 2 on it!) Anyway, no info as the loss of connection occurred after about 23:00 when I went to bed and before 07:30 when I got up and found no connection.

The log shows loads of activity that I don't understand - what should I be looking for?

Interesting things are:
  • There's a lot of connections and disconnection from two underfloor heating controllers (I've yet to move them onto their own VLAN - I had loads of issues getting them onto the last router and was so pleased when they eventually connected to this one I sort of forgot about them!) Stuff like this;
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(490): eth1: Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(507): eth1: Disassoc **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth1: Auth **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(526): eth1: Auth **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(555): eth1: Assoc **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
  • There's currently an entry every 15 seconds or so for a device I don't recognise
    • Jan 4 10:24:24 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(490): eth1: Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:82, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7), rssi:0

Whilst I've been typing this the internet has come back up! I'm starting to think all this is something to do with conflicts between machines but I'm no idea where I start to establish that!

BTW, I've redacted MAC addresses, seems like a sensible thing to do - do you agree?

Right, this morning I have awoken to the first day back at work and no internet!

Here's what I find -
I can't get into the router to check the logs via the Windows machine - internet goes down, everything goes down so I can't get to the Asus dashboard.
So, I try and think about what's happening and where the dependency/conflict is - meanwhile I think I'll fire up the Ubuntu machine (that's connected via RJ45 cable to the router) so I can use that machine's WiFi to pick up the hotspot on my phone, just so I can get on line and post here!

In starting the Ubuntu machine I try the Asus page (before I've connected to the phone) and what do you know! I can get to the Dashboard via 192.168.1.1 !
OK so I take a look at the log file and it doesn't start until 08:02:08 this morning! I reset it yesterday at 17:28:41 (although the log has Jan 2 on it!) Anyway, no info as the loss of connection occurred after about 23:00 when I went to bed and before 07:30 when I got up and found no connection.

The log shows loads of activity that I don't understand - what should I be looking for?

Interesting things are:
  • There's a lot of connections and disconnection from two underfloor heating controllers (I've yet to move them onto their own VLAN - I had loads of issues getting them onto the last router and was so pleased when they eventually connected to this one I sort of forgot about them!) Stuff like this;
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(490): eth1: Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: 0, reason: Deauthenticated because sending station is leaving (or has left) IBSS or ESS (3), rssi:0
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(507): eth1: Disassoc **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: 0, reason: Disassociated because sending station is leaving (or has left) BSS (8), rssi:0
    • Jan 4 10:42:00 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(555): eth1: Assoc **:**:**:**:**:BB, status: Successful (0), rssi:0
  • There's currently an entry every 15 seconds or so for a device I don't recognise
    • Jan 4 10:24:24 syslog: wlceventd_proc_event(490): eth1: Deauth_ind **:**:**:**:**:82, status: 0, reason: Class 3 frame received from nonassociated station (7), rssi:0

Whilst I've been typing this the internet has come back up! I'm starting to think all this is something to do with conflicts between machines but I'm no idea where I start to establish that!

BTW, I've redacted MAC addresses, seems like a sensible thing to do - do you agree?
The router doesn't have VLANs (other than for IPTV). If you mean the WiFi "Guest Network" then call it that to avoid confusion.

Redacting the MAC addresses is pointless and actually hinders the debugging process. The only information you might want to redact is your public WAN IP address and DDNS name (if you have one).

The wlceventd_proc_event messages are normal and can usually be ignored. There are endless posts about these in the forum.

I can't really follow what you're saying is and isn't in the router's log file. Upload the complete log for us to look at. Just looking at log fragment doesn't give us any context.

I think your idea about a network conflict may be correct. Do you have any other routers, repeaters, extenders, switches, etc on your network?

Also check the Hub's Network Log just to see if there are any errors in there that indicates that there was a problem with the internet. If there was it will be very obvious.

Last edited:
Thank you both.
Firstly, apologies if my terminology isn't very good, I'll try and be more precise.
  • What I've called a VLAN is a WiFI Guest Network - I was having trouble getting a robot vac on the network, it would only use a 2.4 GHz connection and that seemed to be the best way to get it there. I'd like to move the rest of my IoT devices onto Guest Network so I can isolate them but that's for another day.
  • I'll post full logs in future - I'd seen others redact MAC addresses but having looked up a few and got very little useful info I kind of thought it was pointless to redact them, so now I know :)
  • I'll do a separate post with the full log file from the Asus and another post for the Super Hub 3 log
What's connected to my network (now) -
Wired
  • A Windows PC
  • An Ubuntu PC
  • A myHiveHub central heating 'hub'
2.4 GHz
  • 2 Rokus
  • 1 Canon printer
  • 2 underfloor heating controllers
  • 1 Android TV
5 GHz
  • My iPhone
  • My wife's Android phone
  • 2 Samsung tablets
  • My work laptop
  • 2 Google Chromecasts
  • An Amazon Echo
Guest Network - 1 (2.4 GHz)
  • A 'Bagotte' Robot Vac that shows us as "Hangzhou Aixiangji Tech"

There are a few other devices that are not currently connected but on most days they are - a couple more laptops inc an Ubuntu laptop, a Raspberry Pi and a few more Android phones.