What's new

Asus RT-AC88U and Virgin media - newbie in search of help getting a stable connection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

The spikes in latency seem to correspond to Netflix viewing as far as I can tell from the timings. For info, I've set uTorrent to only operate over night. I say all this but latency wasn't really a problem, it certainly wasn't my biggest problem!
If I now turn off the SH3 do you think everything will go down and my LAN will fall over? I've got a personal Google meet in 5 mins so I'll try after that!

The spikes in latency seem to correspond to Netflix viewing as far as I can tell from the timings. For info, I've set uTorrent to only operate over night. I say all this but latency wasn't really a problem, it certainly wasn't my biggest problem!
If I now turn off the SH3 do you think everything will go down and my LAN will fall over? I've got a personal Google meet in 5 mins so I'll try after that!

Well, that went as it should. The LAN stayed up and I was able to access files across it (play music and video) without internet access.

TBH your latency isn't particularly bad now that you've turned off the torrents. I'd say it's about typical for Virgin Media. Here's mine by way of a comparison, but I'm on a faster package.
View attachment 29231

Because the latency is measured using ICMP and ICMP is low priority traffic it tends to reflect how much bandwidth saturation there is on the upload side. This can be important for video calls, particularly on very asymmetric connections like Virgin Media provides.
It would also be worth checking with any neighbours if they see ping fluctuations at the same times. Virgin Media is notorious for oversubscribing areas and then the network seriously suffers in peak times. My brother is in area 03 (Croydon) and in peak times latency shoots above 600ms regularly