What's new

Asus RT-AC88U merlin 386.1_2 getting drops on Verizon FIOS "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sanea05

New Around Here
I want to report that Since I updated to new RT-AC88U_386.1_2 my Verizon FIOS is keep dropping and no Internet until I restart OTN. This is only way to bring back internet.

ASUS router was connected direct to Verizon ethernet, without Verizon router.

Here is the error I got on Syslogs "WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly."

I tried to change DHCP query frequency to Normal Mode and still no luck.

The only way to fix the issue is to connect back Verizon Router and than connect ethernet from Verizon to my Asus router.

Any suggestions?

Attachments

• asus.jpg
    asus.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 261
Did you do a factory reset after flashing 386.1_2? I've been running an RT-AC88U on FiOS for about 6 years without issue, including 386.1_2 for the last couple of weeks.

Did you do a factory reset after flashing 386.1_2? I've been running an RT-AC88U on FiOS for about 6 years without issue, including 386.1_2 for the last couple of weeks.
hmm...
I did not reset it.

Do I need to save the setting before reset it?
And after reset to apply saved setting?

No. That is precisely what you don't want to do. Just make a screen capture or write down your current settings and manually re-enter them after reset.

You can set static IP assignments in /jffs/configs/dnsmasq.conf.add in the form of:

Code:
dhcp-host=DE:AD:BE:EF:CA:FE,JoeLaptop,192.168.1.2,12h

One line for each host. Then it's easy to backup and restore.

Hello,

I reset Asus router and enter manual everything. After 1-2 hours internet dropped.

I checked the system logs, there was nothing, but no internet. I looked at Verizon IP address wrote it down, and restarted the router.

After restarting router, router picked new IP address from Verizon, and was working fine for 5-10 min, than again internet stopped. Loops was going.

I decide to revert back to Firmware Version: 384.19 and will monitor it.

Will update after couple of hours.

It might also be worth resetting your ONT if you're still having trouble.

Try flashing back to 384.19 and do a hard reset and re-enter settings by hand. I encountered a similar problem with an AC86U last week and it was resolved by doing this.

You can also solve this by double-NATing to your ONT. There is something with 386.1_x and the WAN port's interaction with the ONT. I had responded to a similar post last week.

I have 3 sites all with Fios and all with AC68U routers connected directly to ONTs. This is what I observed:

Site 1: ASUS Firmware 384 to current 386 updates, no problem.

Site 2: Merlin 384.19 upgraded to 386.1_2, experience WAN dropouts.
Inserted old Actiontec Fios Router in between and double-NAT: no problem
Removed Actiontec router, reflashed to current Stock Asus 386: fewer WAN dropouts
Reflashed to 384.19, hard reset, hand-reconfigured, no problem.

Site 3: Merlin 384.19, no problem.
Flashed to 386.1_2: WAN dropouts.
Flashed to current Asus 386: fewer WAN droupouts
Reflashed to 384.19, hard reset, hand-reconfigured, no problem.

The other poster resolved by inserting a switch in between the router and the ONT. When I tried the same, I got fewer dropouts, but dropouts nevertheless.

Flashing from 386.1_2 back to 384.19 will bork your authentication so you'd need to hard reset anyway.

Left to Try: Flashing from 386.1_2 to Stock Asus 386 and hard-reset / hand-config, but I don't want to touch a live site when it's stable again.

Also not touching Site 1.

Hope this helps and point to a real solution!

Interesting.

Thanks, that's good to know.

Double NAT worked for me as well on 386.1_2

I guess we will have to stick with 384.19 for now.

Are you connected directly to the ONT with an Ethernet cable, or coax to Verizon's router and then your Asus?

Same issue here on FIOS. RT-AC1900 (same as 68U). I did a nuclear reset and went to 386.1_2 from 384.x (factory reset both before and after upgrading firmware, manual re-entry of all settings, no backup used). Ever since, I'm losing my internet every 1-2 days. Router is responsive, just no response to anything from the WAN, can't even ping the ISP's default gateway from the router itself. Rebooting the ONT (which gives the router a new WAN IP) resolves it for a day or 2. Rebooting the router does not fix it (does not get a new WAN IP when this is done). This time, I did a manual release/renew of the WAN IP (by disabling then re-enabling internet access) and that seems to have fixed it, got a new WAN IP and internet stable for 30 mins now. Both times the issue resolved when I got a new WAN IP (which doesn't happen when you just reboot the router apparently).

FIOS changes your IP frequently, it appears that maybe the new code is not playing properly with their DHCP, and perhaps they are then detecting that you are using a static IP without authorization (or maybe someone else gets assigned your IP since you are no longer supposed to have it) and that is getting stuff blocked? Just a guess.

The only strange thing I see in the log is stuff like this for my WAN IP and it seems to line up with the days where the problem has happened:
Mar 8 01:50:56 lldpd[251]: removal request for address of x.x.x.x (my wan IP) %4, but no knowledge of it
Mar 8 01:50:56 WAN_Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.

@RMerlin any ideas?

On a side note, the throughput of my RT-AC1900 has improved significantly. It used to be if I had Aiprotection and/or traffic monitoring enabled, I was restricted to around 260 megs and one CPU would peg to 100%. Now I'm pulling 350 (my ISP limit) and one CPU at 60 and the other at 40. So that is a huge improvement, I don't want to go back :)

From the system logs, it looks like Fios address leases are for 7200 seconds (2 Hrs) at a time, and in theory, DHCP is supposed to request a renewal when 50% of the lease period has expired. I never see any DHCP Client request after the initial one though.

Yeah so either the IP gets released and assigned to someone else causing a conflict, or more likely FIOS has a mechanism to prevent people from assigning themselves a static IP and blocks it from being used. Definitely needs to be addressed, I will be manually release/renewing my IP for now but will have to downgrade if it doesn't get fixed, don't want to end up getting shut off for abuse.

From the system logs, it looks like Fios address leases are for 7200 seconds (2 Hrs) at a time, and in theory, DHCP is supposed to request a renewal when 50% of the lease period has expired. I never see any DHCP Client request after the initial one though.
FIOS DHCP renewal is not logged. You can see the lease time and lease time expiration by clicking "internet status" in the network map section.

Yeah so either the IP gets released and assigned to someone else causing a conflict, or more likely FIOS has a mechanism to prevent people from assigning themselves a static IP and blocks it from being used. Definitely needs to be addressed, I will be manually release/renewing my IP for now but will have to downgrade if it doesn't get fixed, don't want to end up getting shut off for abuse.
FIOS WAN IP renewal is not a problem here, it stays with the same IP forever provided you don't reboot twice. If ever you assign the IP statically it will cause trouble cause if your router goes down for even a very short time, someone will grab that IP as it belongs to a dynamic pool.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!