What's new

Asus RT-AC88U paired with AC1900 - fed up need advise

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Truzedo

New Around Here
I currently have a Asus RT-AC88U paired with AC1900. The AC1900 will not use the AI mesh (I have used Merlin on both devices and it works great) feature will not pair up and frankly I am fed up with it. I was wondering if someone could recommend a good replacement for the AC1900 to pair with my RT-AC88u or a new combo of two units so I can keep my wifi throughout my single story ranch home reliable. I am using my own Arlo wireless IP camera system and it works great.

I just want to improve the overall WI-FI in my house and I don't need wifi 6 at this time.

If anyone has a suggestion so I can re-establish my AImesh system (ever a total rip and replace units is fine) I just would like some suggestions. My goal is to reload and maintain merlin firmware on my existing or new suggested units.

Thanks!

If it is any help, I have an AC86U with Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42643 with two AC68U's and an AC66U_B1 on Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386.43129 as AiMesh nodes. One AC68U is WIFI backhaul. The other two are Ethernet backhaul. All were on the cited firmware version when I se up the mesh network. The first node was added over Ethernet with no problem. The other two nodes I had to try several times, wired and wireless, to add them successfully. A Hard Factory Reset of the prospective nodes does seem to help.

So the best piece of advise is to have the node within the same room as the router. Try to set it up wireless. Make sure WPS is enabled in the router and that the router WIFI is set to fixed channels and bandwidth. Also use separate SSID's as the AC1900 is not smart connect capable. If you set it up wired make sure you connect the router LAN port to the mesh node WAN port. If you are using Ethernet backhaul you should be able to use the same SSID once the mesh is working.

If it is any help, I have an AC86U with Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386.42643 with two AC68U's and an AC66U_B1 on Asus firmware 3.0.0.4.386.43129 as AiMesh nodes. One AC68U is WIFI backhaul. The other two are Ethernet backhaul. All were on the cited firmware version when I se up the mesh network. The first node was added over Ethernet with no problem. The other two nodes I had to try several times, wired and wireless, to add them successfully. A Hard Factory Reset of the prospective nodes does seem to help.

So the best piece of advise is to have the node within the same room as the router. Try to set it up wireless. Make sure WPS is enabled in the router and that the router WIFI is set to fixed channels and bandwidth. Also use separate SSID's as the AC1900 is not smart connect capable. If you set it up wired make sure you connect the router LAN port to the mesh node WAN port. If you are using Ethernet backhaul you should be able to use the same SSID once the mesh is working.
Thank you for the advise. I have factory reset both my units and loaded asus and merlin firmware. The AImesh never stays paired. I have done the wireless in the same room with the AC1900for setup, then moved it into the room with an ethernet backhaul. This method worked for 6 months. Now the AC1900 wont pair in either wireless or ethernet backhaul for AImesh mode. The ac1900 will work as a 4 port swtich but thats it.

I think I am going to just order another RT-AC88U and ethernet backhaul that unit to my existing one.

Thank you for the advise. I have factory reset both my units and loaded asus and merlin firmware. The AImesh never stays paired. I have done the wireless in the same room with the AC1900for setup, then moved it into the room with an ethernet backhaul. This method worked for 6 months. Now the AC1900 wont pair in either wireless or ethernet backhaul for AImesh mode. The ac1900 will work as a 4 port swtich but thats it.

I think I am going to just order another RT-AC88U and ethernet backhaul that unit to my existing one.
And you may have the same problems.

I recommend you try the current Asus firmware as there have been significant improvements in the AiMesh.
Also, in your router WIFI: 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11, 5 GHz at 80 MHz on channel 36 or 149, disable Airtime Fairness and universal beamforming. Use separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.
When the AiMesh node is connected manually assign an IP address in the router LAN/DHCP Server/Manually assign...
You can also enable Ethernet Backhaul in the router AiMesh settings
Do not have a switch between the router and mesh node! Especially a managed switch.
This can work for you! Even with the old AC1900.

I am a minimalist so I prefer just to have two units ethernet backhauled to each other. I don't want to add a switch between them to be honest as I dont need it. I have a 10gbe managed switch between 2 devices not part of this network for my home lab stuff.

I just want consistent wifi on both ends of the house. At this point I will probably through out the ac1900 and get a eero pro with 2 extenders.

But I am very open to suggestions just I really don't want to add more then is needed.

And you may have the same problems.

I recommend you try the current Asus firmware as there have been significant improvements in the AiMesh.
Also, in your router WIFI: 2.4 GHz at 20 MHz on channel 1, 6 or 11, 5 GHz at 80 MHz on channel 36 or 149, disable Airtime Fairness and universal beamforming. Use separate SSID's for 2.4 and 5 GHz bands.
When the AiMesh node is connected manually assign an IP address in the router LAN/DHCP Server/Manually assign...
You can also enable Ethernet Backhaul in the router AiMesh settings
Do not have a switch between the router and mesh node! Especially a managed switch.
This can work for you! Even with the old AC1900.
Oh I forget to mention I already tried the most recent ASUS firmware on both the RT-AC88U and the AC1900 and the would see each other when in the same room. But as soon as I put them on AImesh and moved the AC1900 to the other end of the house with backhaul enabled it disappears over time from the AImesh. Is Asus AImesh just that bad? I have had great experience with the Google mesh nodes and a Meraki mesh network for other people's enivornments I have setup at their homes. I just like the features of my RT-AC88U as far as openvpn and traffic metrics etc.

Just to update - I removed my AC1900 and replaced it with a RT-AX3000. So I now have my main RT-AC88u attached to a RT-AX3000 as an AImesh node in ethernet backhaul mode. All my issues are gone and my AIMesh system is functioning perfectly. I am just going to toss out the AC1900.

In with the new, out with the old. Stability. :)

In with the new, out with the old. Stability. :)
Yes it has been up now for about 3 days and everything is working perfectly. I even created multiple bandwidth loads (downloading 5 gig files across wireless systems (2 laptops) and 4 wired systems at the same time. Worked perfectly.

ok so I have taken my tm router from stock to the 86u but it will not be pick up by the mesh network. ok i see the router on the net work if it is wired but it will not connect. I have gone step by step and it makes it to the ping where it hands off the mac address to the main router. goes to connect to the network on the final step and does not turn over and show up on the list I do not know where the hiccup is but here is what I have done rest from merlin to stock on both the node and the main and I have actual ca86u and dropped it off and reconnected it works great seams to to the tm . it doe not make it past the hand off of the mac

A T-Mobile router converted to RMerlin firmware is not supported (or legal).

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!