What's new

asus RT-AC88U to hot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hi,

My AC68U is more or less about 95° C all the time.
In the summer months it creeps up 97° C and becomes so unstable that i have to cool it constantly with a fan.
Room temp normally is 20-22° C.

Alex.

Screenshot_20190911_004607.jpg

a lot too much, I would open it and correct heatsink to have good contact to CPU (Wifi chips seems to be ok). 68U should be <80°C.

it wont help you, they stay in a small range, maybe +5°C under full load over longer time.

Ok, isnt that strange. The highest ive seen is 77. So that meens its never is going higher than 80-83. Even om full load

I’m not comfortable with consumer electronics running at skin burning high temperatures. The major reason for such high temperatures is manufacturers cutting costs. It’s just cheaper and faster to make electronics this way - no fans, small heatsinks, big gaps filled with thick thermal pads, fancy but cooling inefficient design, etc. Disposable products, made to last few years until warranty expires. I would place this router on a laptop cooling pad to help with air circulation around. The CPU temperature will drop with about 20C.

I would place this router on a laptop cooling pad to help with air circulation around. The CPU temperature will drop with about 20C.

I was going to suggest this also but then I noticed a discrepancy in the reported model.

That would be possible on a AC88U which is the thread title. However his first post says 68U and the clock speed in that picture would verify he is on this model. So a laptop cooling pad is not going to work on a standing model. He will have to look at double sided tape and maybe two fans on the back.

I was going to suggest this also but then I noticed a discrepancy in the reported model.

That would be possible on a AC88U which is the thread title. However his first post says 68U and the clock speed in that picture would verify he is on this model. So a laptop cooling pad is not going to work on a standing model. He will have to look at double sided tape and maybe two fans on the back.
Its an ac88u, and with an Max temp on 77 i Will leave IT for now

If you are worried about it, my cobbled solution was to use an old and small wattage PC PSU to power a 120mm fan that sits under the router. All I'm using for standoffs are the course thread fan-case mount screws on the bottom but just not screwed in all the way. The downside to doing this is the dust build up inside that will need blown out regularly.

EDIT: I use an RT-AC88U

Its an ac88u, and with an Max temp on 77 i Will leave IT for now

Actually yes you are correct Kenny I noticed my mistake after I was looking at the post on the top of page 2 and thought he was the OP.

If you need to cool it down a laptop cooling pad is your best bet.

Yes, very high for the AC68U.

Bought at AC86U and plan to retire the AC68U for some time.

The AC86U is about 77-79 degrees C most of the time i check. Saw it once on 80 degrees C.

Alex

ScreenDump0006359.jpg

This past summer "heat-wave" we had in the UK this year, saw my temps running in the high 80s centigrade range. No issues to report, and as it always ran hot, I wasn't overly concerned (I've had my RT-AC68U for many years now). However I came across the following, and for under ten quid, I thought why not:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0721SYYTF/?tag=smallncom-21

It actually surprised me in how it performed. The quality and sound levels were way better than I expected for the price, too.

It must be said that if you have a few old computer fans of the right size and voltage kicking around your home or workshop, and a tiny bit of know-how in wiring them to a USB plug, then such a set-up would be even cheaper.

Sorry, I don't know if they sell them in other non-UK Amazon sites. But like I said, they're not really needed, as my RT-AC68U has run hot all its long life before I humoured myself with this product.

Last edited:
Hi Guys, I'm following up on this thread with my testing of a single Noctua 92mm 5V fan (0.26A) connected to the USB 3.0 port on a ASUS RT-AC86U running Merlin + Diversion + Pixel-serv, with a USB SSD on USB 2.o to handle the above items! :) YMMV!

BLUF: A single 92mm-120mm fan blowing INTO the router is much more effective for cooling the units pCPU than the same unit exhausting or pulling air thru the router. In my install, the 92mm fan was centered on the back of the unit with a larger rubber hand holding it in place. I use the Noctua antivibration units as small feet/standoffs to keep it quiet. Because of the smaller size and higher RPMs, I can hear this fan as opposed to a larger Noctua 120mm 12V DC fan I have used in a RT-AC88U setup spinning at about 900RPM using the ULN adapter provided by Noctua. There is no lower RPM adapter supplied with the 5V version of this fan.

Sorry UK guys, thermals are in degrees Fahrenheit. Ambient air temp is about 75F (in basement).

Results using Exhaust mode 1 x 92mm Noctua 5v plugged into the USB 3.0 port on RT-AC86U positioned center held in place with larger rubber band.
upload_2019-9-29_9-0-19.png

Results using Pressurized Mode using 1 x 92mm Noctua 5v plugged into USB 3.0 port on RT-AC86U, positioned center, held in place with larger rubber band. 181F - 129F = 52F delta for pCPU thermals.
upload_2019-9-29_9-0-49.png

I use the Noctua line of fans for any project I do. These are the 5V ONLY and NOT the PWM model. (Be careful when ordering, there are two models. I've noticed the Amazon seller has started putting the 5V Only and PWM designations more prominently displayed). These are some of the best engineered fans I know of for consumer use. They use fluid bearings and are rated for 150,000 hours. Clean'm about once per year depending on dust factor and this will last probably many more routers. The 92mm worked fine for me and is a few $ less expensive but I think the 120mm will work fine too. The 140mm version is way too large.

92mm -> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DXVZ9B2/?tag=snbforums-20

120mm -> https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07DXLV5Z6/?tag=snbforums-20

Peace.

Last edited:
My AC88U before iirc: 2.4 GHz: 51-54°C - 5 GHz: 55-60+°C CPU: 90-95 °C
after using laptop cooling pad: 2.4 GHz: 45-49°C - 5 GHz: 49-52°C CPU: 63-65°C

My RT-AC1900P seems to hover between 80-83 degrees C. Is that within spec or not?

There is no such thing as CPU temp range in ASUS specifications.
It's below the maximum operational temp as per CPU manufacturer.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!