What's new

asus RT-AC88U to hot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

kenny wild

New Around Here
Hi, i just bought an RT-AC88U and installed merlin. Everythings working fine this far, but WOW what an temperature. This worries me. Should i RMA or is this ok?

Legend: 2.4 GHz - 5 GHz - CPU
Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 48 °C - 77 °C

kenny
hot.jpg

Those temps are fine, nothing to worry about.

That's 170.6 F Yes honestly under any circumstance that is way to hot for a simple router to be running at. Safe possibly, longevity likely not. :eek:

This topic has been visited so many times since I signed up. Do a little searching, you will find those temps are normal. My AC68U has been running at that temp for probably 5 years at least. No problems. If you're worried blow air at it.

Those temps are not only not a problem, they’re actually pretty low.

The CPU is OK, but the rest of the components around may not be in a long run. Those “normal” temperatures are not so normal, but it’s cheaper to build electronics this way. The fact the chip may withstand 110c doesn’t mean we have to run it at 90C most of the time.

ok, thanks for your replyes. I will try to lay it to rest. The router is working fine, and i got 3 years waranty if things should go south.

The CPU is OK, but the rest of the components around may not be in a long run. Those “normal” temperatures are not so normal, but it’s cheaper to build electronics this way. The fact the chip may withstand 110c doesn’t mean we have to run it at 90C most of the time.
If I recall this was his reading: Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 48 °C - 77 °C No where near 90C.

I will try to lay it to rest

Get a small laptop cooling pad for 12" laptops with a single large quiet fan and place the router on top of it. Power the cooling pad off routers USB 2.0 port, the power consumption of small cooling pads is very low. With some air circulation the temperature will go down. It is not necessary, but it is better and you don't have to worry about the router even in the warmest days.

If I recall this was his reading: Current Temperatures: 43 °C - 48 °C - 77 °C No where near 90C.

Yes, probably with CPU load under 5%. My RT-AC86U reaches 96C under full load with room temperature 26C. For that reason I have active cooling on it and the temperature on idle is 47C, under full load 54C. Makes things better, not worse.

Last edited:
Get a small laptop cooling pad for 12" laptops with a single large quiet fan and place the router on top of it. Power the cooling pad off routers USB 2.0 port, the power consumption of small cooling pads is very low. With some air circulation the temperature will go down. It is not necessary, but it is better and you don't have to worry about the router even in the warmest days.
Thanx, but ill will let it be for now, it been running for one day now with some activity and it have stayed below 78°C

Yes, probably with CPU load under 5%. My RT-AC86U reaches 96C under full load with room temperature 26C. For that reason I have active cooling on it and the temperature on idle is 47C, under full load 54C. Makes things better, not worse.
I use a laptop cooler myself. It was 8$ Canadian. It keeps me in the low 50s and you can't hear the thing it's so slow and quiet.

Don't worry about it - it's well within spec...
I also have an rt ac 88 u and I agree with the consensus the temperature is fine if not I little low relax mine has been running at 77 c for about 3 years and gets heaps of use no problem yet

Not an Xbox 360...
You wonder if there’s a case for a sticky post on cpu temperatures, except no-one looks at stickies.

Perhaps it would say, if the cpu temperature is less than the melting point of solder, don’t worry about it.

Or maybe Merlin should remove the temperature monitoring. What the eye doesn’t see, the heart doesn’t grieve over.

This would solve all (ok maybe exaggerating) your thermal problems. I'm a big fan of the Noctua line. Yeah they are bit pricey. BUT..
  • I've had some of their 12v fans running for 9+ years without so much as whine or squeal.
  • They are engineered and built well, built to last IMHO.
  • They are quiet, you can barely hear them.
  • They come with an assortment of mounting hardware, anti-vibration items, connectors, and speed reducing connectors to get just the right level of air-flows or quiet.
  • Just a yearly cleaning of the dust keep'm happy. Peace.

https://wccftech.com/noctua-adds-to-5v-fan-lineup/

Last edited: