What's new

ASUS RT-AX53U vs Archer AX20

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vladur

New Around Here
Hey everyone so I currently have an Asus ac68u which is my primary router I got it used at a reasonable price so no regrets there but I'll be using the ac68u on another project so I'm looking to buy another router for my home preferably wifi 6.

I'm looking at the ASUS RT-AX53U and the Tp link Archer AX20 since I would like to be on a budget. Does anyone over here have any experience with these two specific models?
Thanks.

Do you have any specific requirements for the new router?

What sort of area needs to be covered by WiFi? What router "features" do you need/want, e.g. AiProtection, BitTorrent, VPN client/server, etc?

What are your internet up/down speeds?

It needs to have a usb port as I'm planning to attach an hdd to it which will sync with my open media vault nas.
Area is around 500 sq feet with one concrete wall in between.
My internet speed is 50mbs up and down.

I'm mainly interested in the ASUS RT-AX53U because it's cheap and also wifi 6 most reviews I have seen online are pretty much in line with what I would expect a budget router to be but over on Amazon it only has 14 ratings while the archer has above 6000.

It needs to have a usb port as I'm planning to attach an hdd to it which will sync with my open media vault nas.

This plan may not work exactly as expected, especially on entry-level router with 256MB RAM only.

It depends on the size and frequency of transfers to/from this HDD. Asuswrt attached storage performance is not the best.

Everyday transfers shouldn't exceed more than 4 gb frequency shouldn't exceed more than once or twice a day as I'll be accessing my open media vault nas for the majority of the files I require.

Get one and try. I wouldn't test my luck. Much better and more expensive routers failed in my tests with large transfers. If you value your data, use proper equipment for backups. A cheap home router is not proper equipment. Good luck!