What's new

Asus RT-AX56U keeps disconnecting my smart devices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ralong

Occasional Visitor
I have RT-AX56U and the router keeps disconnecting my WIZ light bulbs, my ESP32, my tasmota devices. They are seen in the device list in the router. But I cant control them, and home assistant cant see them also.
And i don't mean they disconnect once in a while, but my kitchen bulb sometimes works for 5 minutes, and then i need to power off/on it. or reset the router, or of/on the wifi.
I tried turning the 5Ghz off, setting different channels, giving static IP, turning off WIFI 6/5/4 and nothing.

My firmware is Merlin: Current Version : 388.2_2

I tested a TP link router with wifi6 and everything was working fine (I tested it for 2 weeks). The wifi strength reported by the devices is even stronger with the ASUS router but its useless.

What can I do? Or does the ASUS routers just suck with 2,4Ghz network?

Last edited:
I have RT-AX68U and the router keeps disconnecting my WIZ light bulbs, my ESP32, my tasmota devices. They are seen in the device list in the router. But I cant control them, and home assistant cant see them also.
And i don't mean they disconnect once in a while, but my kitchen bulb works for 5 minutes, and then i need to power off/on it. or reset the router, or of/onm the wifi.
I tried turning the 5Ghz off, setting different channels, giving static IP, turning off WIFI 6/5/4 and nothing.

My firmware is Merlin: Current Version : 388.2_2

I tested a TP link router with wifi6 and everything was working fine (I tested it for 2 weeks). The wifi strength reported by the devices is even stronger with the ASUS router but its useless.

What can I do? Or does the ASUS routers just suck with 2,4Ghz network?
While I'm not the networking expert like many of the members, I also have the AX68U running the latest ASWRT firmware and its been rock solid. And while I understand that Merlin is tweaked I also see LOTS of issues posted by people that use it. So my suggestion would be to try stock firmware and see if that works. BTW, the title of your post mentions the AX56U rather than the AX68U

Hi, I am having the same exact issue with my ESP32 devices, it seems to be recent with my AX6000. When checking logs from the serial USB connection with the device plugged into my rasberry Pi running home assistant they read:

"WARNING hygrometer.local: Connection error occurred: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer"

the logs show Wifi Disconnects and reconnects over and over and the devices will flap offline and online in ESP32home add-on page accordingly.
When checking the logs from the Wifi I sometimes get a diff API related error.presumably bc it's not replying due to connection

I have replaced the ESP32 devices entirely with new ones and flashed the YAML file as well with no luck.
It seems like resetting my router seems to resolve the issue temporarily but it came back within a day.

Let me know what you find and I'll share my updates as well.

Last edited:
I checked with normal firmware, and the same problem persists.
This is an ASUS issue. I bought AX55 router to test, and it has the same problem.

Maybe some professional settings are wrong? Can someone confirm?
1693417563449.png

I Think I found a solution.

Paradoxically turning the Roaming assistant on fixed it. The setting that should disconnect devices seem to work in reverse.
No disconnects for 2 days now.
1693821913614.png

I Think I found a solution.

Paradoxically turning the Roaming assistant on fixed it. The setting that should disconnect devices seem to work in reverse.
No disconnects for 2 days now.
View attachment 52857
Hi, I have another solution for your Wiz bulbs if you continue to have issues.
Create a guest network, set the security to WPA 2, pick a password, also pick an SSID without spaces but a _ will be ok, so you could call it something like house_lights, etc. Allow access to the intranet as when I denied mine, the matter upgrade didn't work correctly.
DON"t enable bandwidth limiter and make sure the access time is set to unlimited. I was having issues with mine and it was most likely a combination of the bulbs being flooded off the main network due to mDNS traffic. Their WiFi hardware may also not like spaces in SSIDs.

Anyway, for me doing this has made my bulbs 100% reliable. FYI, I own an RT-AX86U, and a TP-Link AX4400. This setup works perfectly with both routers.

Hope this helps.

Hi, I have another solution for your Wiz bulbs if you continue to have issues.
Create a guest network, set the security to WPA 2, pick a password, also pick an SSID without spaces but a _ will be ok, so you could call it something like house_lights, etc. Allow access to the intranet as when I denied mine, the matter upgrade didn't work correctly.
DON"t enable bandwidth limiter and make sure the access time is set to unlimited. I was having issues with mine and it was most likely a combination of the bulbs being flooded off the main network due to mDNS traffic. Their WiFi hardware may also not like spaces in SSIDs.

Anyway, for me doing this has made my bulbs 100% reliable. FYI, I own an RT-AX86U, and a TP-Link AX4400. This setup works perfectly with both routers.

Hope this helps.
Now that you mention it, I do remember recently changing my SSID name, specifically removing an underscore and replacing it with a space. I'll try both suggested solutions and report back with what I find

Now that you mention it, I do remember recently changing my SSID name, specifically removing an underscore and replacing it with a space. I'll try both suggested solutions and report back with what I find
OK, for the majority of devices, spaces aren't a problem. I recently changed between routers because I needed to see if I was having a client or router issue with my Echo devices randomly reporting no internet. Seems like a client issue so put the RT-AX86U back in use with a clean factory reset of the latest firmware for a clean start. Anyway after doing your testing., the guest network with an SSID with no spaces for cheaper 2.4ghz devices might be the ideal solution, just for so you don't have to gimp your main network in trying to fix a certain type of device. Having a guest set up specifically in a way those devices like the best, seems like a better all around solution. Anyway let me know what you find.

OK, for the majority of devices, spaces aren't a problem. I recently changed between routers because I needed to see if I was having a client or router issue with my Echo devices randomly reporting no internet. Seems like a client issue so put the RT-AX86U back in use with a clean factory reset of the latest firmware for a clean start. Anyway after doing your testing., the guest network with an SSID with no spaces for cheaper 2.4ghz devices might be the ideal solution, just for so you don't have to gimp your main network in trying to fix a certain type of device. Having a guest set up specifically in a way those devices like the best, seems like a better all around solution. Anyway let me know what you find.
The Echo issue, do you have IPv6 enabled? I was having the same problem a while back, and disabling IPv6 got rid of the issue. Not sure why, but can't argue with results :)

The Echo issue, do you have IPv6 enabled? I was having the same problem a while back, and disabling IPv6 got rid of the issue. Not sure why, but can't argue with results :)
I don't have IPV6 enabled for the Echo devices, on the apple devices, they use it locally, but not on the internet connection, just LAN. So, I don't think it would apply here. Also it's a recent issue, so it could be a firmwre issue with the latest firmware update(s) It doesn't happen too often, but if it gets worse, i'll factory reset the Echos and see if that helps. I've already done a power cycle on each.

I don't have IPV6 enabled for the Echo devices, on the apple devices, they use it locally, but not on the internet connection, just LAN. So, I don't think it would apply here. Also it's a recent issue, so it could be a firmwre issue with the latest firmware update(s) It doesn't happen too often, but if it gets worse, i'll factory reset the Echos and see if that helps. I've already done a power cycle on each.
My bad, I should've specified. I meant Ipv6 enabled in the router.

My bad, I should've specified. I meant Ipv6 enabled in the router.
I understood, and no I don't, the LAN side ipv6 is mainly just between the Apple devices, no other devices have it enabled. including the router. So it's an ipv4 network, except for the local ipv6 apple devices can use between them.

Like I said turning on the Roaming assistant option worked. Works great now, with more than 20 devices connected to the wifi.
This setting really works differently than it should. I have some devices that are less than-80dB and still working well. With option to disconnect every device that is under -70dB turned on.

Turning OFF Roaming Assistant perhaps?

This Roaming Assistant eventually works when you have more than one AP and -70dBm signal is actually stronger than -80dBm. For a single router/AP the best setting is OFF. I don't know what works great when your devices have nowhere to roam. When disconnected they have one option only - the same AP.

If its the best setting, why when i turn it off, it disconnects my smart light bulbs and esp32 devices all the time?
I know how it works in Theory. But in practice its broken and works differently.

Last edited:
But in practice its broken

I know it's broken in many firmware releases and on many routers. Was surprised to see it's fixing something on this router. :)

FWIW I'm having a very similar sounding problem. I posted in detail about it here, but the TL;DR is that my cheap LED controllers keep getting kicked off of my primary wifi every 1-10 minutes, but only when my guest wifi network is enabled and the "Access Intranet" setting is disabled. Re-enabling "Access Intranet", or just turning off the guest networks solves the issue, but obviously this is not a good solution.

@ralong I'd be interested to know if this is the case for you as well. Or at least what state your guest networks are/were in.

None of the fixes suggested in this thread worked for me, although I have not messed with any IPv6 settings. Roaming Assistant has apparently always been enabled for me.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!