What's new

ASUS RT-AX58U problems connecting to internet.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Marc_MCIPD

New Around Here
I am really struggling with an issue with the RT-AX58U. I have recently bought it, connected it all up and found I could not access the internet. After some time fiddling about, I noticed that my landline was not working. I discovered that every time I plugged the WAN line into the router, my landline stopped working. It does not matter whether the router is powered or not. I have a dual-socket at my house. The top socket connects to BT broadband whilst the bottom socket connects my landline. It seems the ASUS router switched both of these off therefore I couldn't access the internet or my landline. I thought, at first, that there was some fault with the router. I returned it and received the replacement today but I am getting exactly the same problem. My current NETGEAR router works fine so I'm really at a loss to understand what the issue is. I have contacted ASUS support but they have not been much help. Any ideas would be gratefully received.

What is your current router. The RT58U is just a router.. no Cable modem. What is the Cable modem you use?

What is your current router. The RT58U is just a router.. no Cable modem. What is the Cable modem you use?
Thank you for taking the trouble to respond. My bad, I didn't realise that the RT58U is a router only. I've now connected it through my old Netgear Nighthawk and it works fine with a (slightly) upgraded speed.

You could grab an Huawei HG612 off Ebay to use as just the modem instead of the netgear router. They go for about a tenner. Try and get a 3B version. I use one its rock solid.

Thank you for the advice. In the end, I bought a Draytek Vigor 130 as it is used by BT. Unfortunately, I am struggling to set it up with my router. I've tried all combinations of cables but nothing seems to work. I am currently using my old Netgear Nighthawk as a bridge and I thought the modem would work in the same way. My router is plugged into the LAN port on my computer and the Nighthawk plugged into the WAN port (telephone line). I then connect the two using the WAN port on my router to connect to a LAN port on my Nighthawk. However, trying the same configuration with the modem does not work. I've tried other combinations but am getting nowhere. As there is only one LAN and one WAN port on the modem, I'm wondering whether there is a splitter I could use to increase either. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Well there could be a few bits to check. First it should be connected like this:

1601588740107.png

The internet cloud bit is your BT socket (top Data port as it sounds like you have a filtered faceplate) then one ethernet cable from the yellow socket on the Vigor to the WAN port on your Asus RT-AX58U. You can then plug your computers etc into the LAN ports on the Asus or use WiFi.

That's the physical connections, however you probably have to configure both the Vigor and Asus.

The Vigor needs to be in bridge mode - so in effect all it does is convert the phone line into ethernet. There are some instructions on the Draytek website:

You will need to plug a PC or laptop into the Vigor yellow socket to do this. Once that's done set it up like the diagram above.

Now you need to log into the Asus (or you could reset it and follow the prompts) but on the WAN page you need the following (might look different as I have an AX88U):

1601589317715.png

and a bit lower down:
1601589363668.png

The password is not unique per subscriber - that is I assume your ISP is actually BT.

Well there could be a few bits to check. First it should be connected like this:

View attachment 26605

The internet cloud bit is your BT socket (top Data port as it sounds like you have a filtered faceplate) then one ethernet cable from the yellow socket on the Vigor to the WAN port on your Asus RT-AX58U. You can then plug your computers etc into the LAN ports on the Asus or use WiFi.

That's the physical connections, however you probably have to configure both the Vigor and Asus.

The Vigor needs to be in bridge mode - so in effect all it does is convert the phone line into ethernet. There are some instructions on the Draytek website:

You will need to plug a PC or laptop into the Vigor yellow socket to do this. Once that's done set it up like the diagram above.

Now you need to log into the Asus (or you could reset it and follow the prompts) but on the WAN page you need the following (might look different as I have an AX88U):

View attachment 26607
and a bit lower down:
View attachment 26608

The password is not unique per subscriber - that is I assume your ISP is actually BT.
Many thanks for your response. I've now got it all up and working thanks to you. I really appreciate it. I was hoping for improved speeds, as a result, but my broadband speed remains doggedly at
29Mbps.

You're welcome. ADSL/VDSL technology is fairly old hat and most of the modems all perform similarly. Assuming your speed has never been much higher there probably isn't much you can do other than hope for FTTP sooner rather than later! You could check the ADSL line checker here: https://www.broadbandchecker.btwholesale.com/#/ADSL and just check that you are not below the "Downstream Handback Threshold(Mbps)" in which case you could have a moan to your ISP, but remember this is modem sync speed and not any througput on a speed test site.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!