What's new

Asus RT-AX58U V2 wrong client name and icon for MacBook

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

DnLS

Occasional Visitor
Hey everyone. I have a question about my Asus router. I recently got it and it is running on latest official Asus firmware.
Few days ago after I connected to my wifi, logged in to admin panel and noticed that my MacBook client name is displayed as "Apple" and not my MacBook name and also the icon was just black Apple logo on gray background. All times before when I logged in to my router admin panel (do it almost every day to check clients) the laptop was always displayed with MacBook icon and my MacBook name.
Maybe someone have any explanations how could it happen and where did it take "Apple" instead of my laptop name? Also want to mention that I suspect someone to have access to router and admin panel that day when I was out of home and I'm afraid if it could be some malware on router installed.
Look forward to your answers, thanks in advance

The Network Map function of the router (which is where the Client Names come from) has been unreliable for years. If for some reason the router forgets or can't determine the host name of a device it will use the MAC address to determine the manufacturer and use that instead. This is probably why you're now seeing "Apple". Rebooting either the client and/or the router usually fixes it in the short term.

The Network Map function of the router (which is where the Client Names come from) has been unreliable for years. If for some reason the router forgets or can't determine the host name of a device it will use the MAC address to determine the manufacturer and use that instead. This is probably why you're now seeing "Apple". Rebooting either the client and/or the router usually fixes it in the short term.
Thanks a lot for your answer! The icon fixed after router reboot, but the name did not, because I accidentally changed it to "Applee" and saved, so I guess now it is saved internally on the router and always shows.
How common is this case actually? Used TP-Link before and never faced that. That's why assumed that my new router may be hacked.

These sorts of problems with the Network Map are very common.
Thank you so much for sharing this info, you calmed me down with that.

Also if anyone else faced this issue, please share your experience about wrong client name.

Last edited:
Asuswrt has more issues than wrong client names and icons. The Client List is buggy for years as well as other major and advertised features like Dual WAN (inconsistent fail over/back), USB share (out of memory conditions), Print Server (perhaps not updated for 10 years), crashing TrendMicro components including in current firmware (Traffic Analyzer, Web History), broken QoS options with IPv6 enabled in current firmware (Traditional QoS and Bandwidth Limiter), multiple GUI bugs (including copy/paste related from old firmware or borrowed from Asuswrt-Merlin), lack of dependencies in settings (you can enable contradicting options and they will be accepted), etc. If your MacBook name and icon are the only issues you have - you're good. Just use your router and don't look into details too much.

Such a bright and cheery post. And so helpful too. Good thing someone tests all Asus routers in all environments and can report such insightful upchuck on a steady basis. :rolleyes:

@DnLS, at least now you know who not to ask for help from.

Such a bright and cheery post. And so helpful too. Good thing someone tests all Asus routers in all environments and can report such insightful upchuck on a steady basis. :rolleyes:

@DnLS, at least now you know who not to ask for help from.
@L&LD Please could you answer. I don't understand your reply but really would like to understand it.

@L&LD Please could you answer. I don't understand your reply but really would like to understand it.

That post was an off-topic comment about another forum member... just ignore it... they apparently do not want to explain it further.

OE

That post was an off-topic comment about another forum member... just ignore it... they apparently do not want to explain it further.

OE
Thanks, I'm actually new here so I thought maybe something is wrong with my post.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!