What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX59U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388_33144

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Volt

Regular Contributor
Version 3.0.0.4.388_33144
37.79 MB
2024/01/17
  • Resolved IPTV interruptions during extended use.
  • Addressed Guest Network performance issues with active IPTV.
  • Added Xtra Range 2.0 support for enhanced connectivity.
  • Rectified potential IPV6-related crashes.
  • Improved roaming efficiency for AiMesh nodes under weak signals.
  • Addressed router crashes during WireGuard setup.
Please unzip the firmware file, and then verify the checksum.
SHA256: 9fa020c3ec1bc6415d09ed27e5e4186717b22640366df80a1a8c5f7d0404a3cb

Download: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/wireless/RT-AX59U/FW_RT_AX59U_300438833144.zip?model=RT-AX59U

The changes I've noticed so far:
  1. They indeed added the "Xtra Range 2.0" setting on the "Professional" tab for both bands.
  2. They also fixed the reported speed values on the "Traffic Monitor" tab for wireless clients (reported speeds were unrealistically high).
  3. I also noticed the "Revert" command for reverting to the previous firmware version, but maybe it was available before (probably MediaTek-based routers use the A/B principle for firmware updates which makes reverting to previous firmware versions easier, because from the logs it looks like they have two partitions - one active and another inactive for a new firmware, and they just change the bootloader to load from one partition or another).
  4. The CPU usage is lower on this firmware version, it does not exceed 1-3% when running a speed test on 200Mbits. Fantastic!
It's been running for 8 hours, everything works fine. The more I use the MediaTek-based model, the more I like it.

Last edited:
Based in the U.K. This update kicked off all iOS devices and several non iOS devices which would not reconnect to wifi on either 2.4 or 5g. Factory reset did not resolve the issue. Firmware rollback did. The firmware is not fit for purpose.

Based in the U.K. This update kicked off all iOS devices and several non iOS devices which would not reconnect to wifi on either 2.4 or 5g. Factory reset did not resolve the issue. Firmware rollback did. The firmware is not fit for purpose.
Interesting.. I have three iOS devices, and about 20 devices in total, and everything's running very stable since the firmware upgrade. However, I'm not in the U.K., so probably this issue is region-specific.

Interesting.. I have three iOS devices, and about 20 devices in total, and everything's running very stable since the firmware upgrade. However, I'm not in the U.K., so probably this issue is region-specific.
Yes I suspect it’s a region specific issue which is why I mentioned being from the U.K. I spent hours messing on with settings on the hub and devices trying to get them connected before resorting to the factory reset and followed by the firmware roll back - I hadn’t noticed the firmware update had occurred initially and it was completely baffling!

I'm in the UAE and the same happened with me, all ios devices would not connect, had to roll back to the previous firmware

I had an issue with the guest network. Yesterday, both Air and Mini lost internet connection at the same time. When I turn off the guest network, everything works fine. However, when I activate the guest network, Air and Mini lose connection. Devices are connected to the router, but it reports that the internet is not working

I had auto update on and of course got this horror story of a firmware installed as well. Like others outside of US, I had my iPad refusing to connect properly to the router, as well as my chromecast.

I was very close to rolling the firmware back to the previous version, as others have done. But then I noticed that neither the SHA-256 hash of the downloaded zip file nor the firmware file in the archive matched the one on the ASUS download page, which got me paranoid and got cold feet.

Luckily, disabling my guest network as suggested, made all my devices work as before, and I quickly decided it was a small price to pay considering how much time and effort it would take to contact ASUS to get their downloads fixed. Or their firmware for that matter.

Aside from the obvious flaw of disconnected devices, the firmware also has some cosmetic (hopefully) glitches. Like on the Wireless page, where, when Smart Connect is enabled, some of the configuration parameters shared between both bands are shown for the individual bands, like the Pre-Shared Key. Flicking the Smar Connect switch off and on will make the UI pick up on the shared fields and properly list them only under the shared section.

Or like how the new feature (?), "Xtra Range 2.0", on the Professional page, has a clickable title but no popup appears when clicking it, making it completely impossible to find out what it does.

Overall a really bad experience with ASUS. Definitely seems like this firmware was rushed. Not really keen on keeping auto firmware update enabled anymore...

Last edited:
Again, another UK based user. iOS users kicked off, original Amazon Echo would not connect or Harmony remote hub. Main thing that convinced me to roll back was that I could not reconnect to the AX-RT53U I am using as an AIMesh node. It was a long, frustrating evening!

Phil.

Same issue. UK based have guest WiFi setup for IOT devices. Will try the suggestion of disabling now. What's the feedback mechanism for ASUS? Or is this a wait for the next build in N months and pray that it works 🙏

Well, looks like firmware 3.0.0.4.388_33144 has been withdrawn for the UK (possibly others?) it's no longer available on the UK website. No update showing available on the router any more either. Maybe reporting the issue via the feedback tab helped...

Well, looks like firmware 3.0.0.4.388_33144 has been withdrawn for the UK (possibly others?)
Yeah, looks like they completely removed this firmware from their site. Let's hope it won't take too long for them to fix and release a fixed version.

I have trouble with the current firmware and would like try this even though it was pulled. I only use the AX59U as a router with the wifi turned off as the wireless clients are served by another mesh setup.

Does anyone have a copy they could share with me?

This same version just up on ASUS site again the 22/2.

I had expected a fixed 33144 version fairly soon after the defective one, but I was still optimistic and quickly updated my router with it, very much convinced that although the version was the same, the issues would have been fixed.

Boy was I wrong. Same problems with iOS+chromecast not connecting.

Come on, asus...

To properly test a new firmware:

I had expected a fixed 33144 version fairly soon after the defective one, but I was still optimistic and quickly updated my router with it, very much convinced that although the version was the same, the issues would have been fixed.

Boy was I wrong. Same problems with iOS+chromecast not connecting.

And they also re-added the same, previously removed firmware version for TUF4200, unbelievable...

My TUF-AX6000 just got this firmware last night and more than half of my devices can no longer connect. I have no Apple devices in the house. My pixel 4a can connect, my lenovo tablet cannot. All of my Kasa switches are offline but my honeywell smart thermostats all work. I can't find a similarity to what connects and what won't. Running on a backup tp-link router until I can hard factory reset and revert this firmware. What a mess.

edit- may not be the same version number, as I'm on an ax6000 but same change log and same connectivity issues.

Last edited:
My TUF-AX6000 just got this firmware last night and more than half of my devices can no longer connect. I have no Apple devices in the house. My pixel 4a can connect, my lenovo tablet cannot. All of my Kasa switches are offline but my honeywell smart thermostats all work. I can't find a similarity to what connects and what won't. Running on a backup tp-link router until I can hard factory reset and revert this firmware. What a mess.

edit- may not be the same version number, as I'm on an ax6000 but same change log and same connectivity issues.
Looks like TUF-AX6000 also got the same firmware 3.0.0.4.388_33144 that did not work properly for some RT-AX59U and TUF-AX4200 users. I think that the best solution is to report this issue to Asus again using the router's Web-interface.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!