What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U, constantly broadcasts on UDP port 9999

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Batnun

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

After setting up Suricata on my firewall, I can see several entries from my ASUS RT-AX86U (configured as AP).

Suricata identify that as some kind of vulnerability, which I assume is already fixed, but is there a way to disable
This service on the ASUS?

It seems like some proprietary routers discovery protocol, which I guess I don't need since I have only one device...

Disable what service actually? Nothing uses that port.

According to the logs, my ASUS RT-AX86U (10.10.10.20) itself initiates this broadcast, so I guess the router is trying to discover other ASUS routers, maybe for AiMesh?

Latest firmware version installed - 386.2

Screenshot_2.png

Actually it's Asus' infosvr, you can't disable it. Seems to be used for network printing support. There was an exploit of it that was fixed many years ago which is probably why it's being flagged.

Last edited:
Yes, that's it. This was all fixed back in 2015. It's hardly surprising RMerlin can't remember it from so long ago. Even though he's listed as one of the people that fixed it. :D

This is a system service which is not exposed to the Internet, and is required for the router to function properly, so it can't be disabled.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!