What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46061 (2022/01/11)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This option can't be called DNSFilter in official Asuswrt. See what DNSFilter is:

I guess it's a good thing that I first created DNSFilter (under that name) in January 2014, but this company was only founded in mid-2015...

Good thing only if you have registered the name first. Let them have it, we all know what DNSFilter in Asuswrt-Merlin is.

Good thing only if you have registered the name first. Let them have it, we all know what DNSFilter in Asuswrt-Merlin is.
I mean they can't come complaining to me about it, I have very public "prior art" to show for myself, starting with dated github commits.

Asus however is a probably different story, as they are selling a commercial product.

Funny enough, this ain't the first time that a commercial company starts using a name identical to one of my previous projects. Back in my Amiga development days, I developed a tool called SysInspector. 10-15 years later, Eset came with a tool of their own also named SysInspector...

Asuswrt already contains RMerlin's code. This function is perhaps coming back with RC3 official release and for selected models, but named differently.
Sorry I meant the speculation was that they pulled it due to the name being at issue. Just odd that it was there and then wasn’t in the next release. Anyway, @RMerlin added some great functionality and I hope to see it in stock again one day.

I mean they can't come complaining to me about it, I have very public "prior art" to show for myself, starting with dated github commits.

Asus however is a probably different story, as they are selling a commercial product.

Funny enough, this ain't the first time that a commercial company starts using a name identical to one of my previous projects. Back in my Amiga development days, I developed a tool called SysInspector. 10-15 years later, Eset came with a tool of their own also named SysInspector...

‘DnsDirector’, coming soon?;)

Quite the list of fixes in this release. Has anyone that has installed it had any problems with the update?

FYI sharing here too - I have been running this for a couple of days along with the recent RT-AX88U release on my home network... the difference has been night and day as far as stability of the Nest/TP-Link connections on the AP that I updated. Very happy to see this but not a fan of being back on Stock FW to be honest as I miss the added details provided in a number of locations even in AP mode. Hopefully the 2.4Ghz wifi stability issues addressed here make their way into Merlin's next major release. Until then, I'll be running a "Frankenstein" setup with Merlin on my main Router and the Asus stock FW on my APs. My reason for keeping Merlin on my Router is due to the heavy reliance on DNSfilter and VPN Director configurations in combination with my Pi-hole setup at home.

Clicking on USB Application, then AiDisk goes to a blank page, this is the only bug I have found so far.

I've noticed the "Traffic Analyzer" stats do not work properly on the latest version. No matter how much GB of traffic has been generated from various clients, report sits at aroun 500 MB daily. Reboot doesn't help, didn't try hard reset yet. Anyone else expiriencing the same issue?

I've noticed the "Traffic Analyzer" stats do not work properly on the latest version. No matter how much GB of traffic has been generated from various clients, report sits at aroun 500 MB daily. Reboot doesn't help, didn't try hard reset yet. Anyone else expiriencing the same issue?
I was experiencing the same issue. Just noticed today that the last few days did not reflect any traffic in the graph. I cleared the existing data with the trash can icon and it seems to be displaying correctly, for now anyways...

I was experiencing the same issue. Just noticed today that the last few days did not reflect any traffic in the graph. I cleared the existing data with the trash can icon and it seems to be displaying correctly, for now anyways...
That's good to know, thanks! Can't test it anymore as I've switched to Merlin in mean time

Is is a typical software development thing,
keep fixing something, and also keep breaking something....

Last edited:
auto update is off.

i updated on the 17th with no reset and everything seems to be fine.

Just updated. AIMesh with one wired node (AX68U). Went very smootly. Not hard reset, just a reboot. Did seem to have improved subtantially connectivity on 2.4.

Also noticed that Traffic Analyzer - Statistic wasn't working right after upgrade to 46061. Tried using the "garbage can" on that page to empty the statisics tables to see if it would start to work. No go, so went back to 45934, and voila, the traffic statistics weren't working there, either. Note that after flashing, I do some severe resetting to factory defaults *smile*. Now that I think about it, that may be part of the problem...while resetting I'm deleting some stuff that traffic statistics relies on to start up on a new firmware version.

Finally found this on the internet:

The steps looked innocuous, odd but harmless, so gave it a try. Once the QoS Web History had run for a while, the traffic statistics suddenly started working. Didn't do step 4., since couldn't find the "introduction demo" *smile*. At any rate, going to go back to 46061 when I get an opportunity and see if the same steps work on this one. Having a daughter "working from home" at the moment does limit my available time for home network experiments.

I will say, following those steps felt much like drawing a pentagram around my router, starting some incense burning, and waving a dead chicken in the air over the router...also, hard to separate correlation from actual cause-and-effect without more data points, but it did work after I had just about given up. Time will tell, I guess.

Also noticed that Traffic Analyzer - Statistic wasn't working right after upgrade to 46061. Tried using the "garbage can" on that page to empty the statisics tables to see if it would start to work. No go, so went back to 45934, and voila, the traffic statistics weren't working there, either. Note that after flashing, I do some severe resetting to factory defaults *smile*. Now that I think about it, that may be part of the problem...while resetting I'm deleting some stuff that traffic statistics relies on to start up on a new firmware version.

Finally found this on the internet:

The steps looked innocuous, odd but harmless, so gave it a try. Once the QoS Web History had run for a while, the traffic statistics suddenly started working. Didn't do step 4., since couldn't find the "introduction demo" *smile*. At any rate, going to go back to 46061 when I get an opportunity and see if the same steps work on this one. Having a daughter "working from home" at the moment does limit my available time for home network experiments.

I will say, following those steps felt much like drawing a pentagram around my router, starting some incense burning, and waving a dead chicken in the air over the router...also, hard to separate correlation from actual cause-and-effect without more data points, but it did work after I had just about given up. Time will tell, I guess.
Thanks for sharing this. I am also having issue with traffic analyzer not working. I noticed that while I had the QOS features enabled mentioned in the link traffic analyzer did indeed start working again. However, once I turned the extra functions back off traffic analyzer stopped working again. Curious what your experience was with this. Did you have leave the QOS and web history on? Wasn’t sure if there were any negative impacts of this. I always take the approach with routers of disable features I don’t need to lower the resource impact on the router.

Thanks for sharing this. I am also having issue with traffic analyzer not working. I noticed that while I had the QOS features enabled mentioned in the link traffic analyzer did indeed start working again. However, once I turned the extra functions back off traffic analyzer stopped working again. Curious what your experience was with this. Did you have leave the QOS and web history on? Wasn’t sure if there were any negative impacts of this. I always take the approach with routers of disable features I don’t need to lower the resource impact on the router.

I had a similar experience, had to turn the web history back on again overnight to capture all the clients. But after that I could turn it off, didn't have to leave it on.

What I really miss or I can't find, like you have with Skynet on Merlin, is some webpage which shows who is attacking my router. I had to go back from Merlin, cause of WiFI 5G issues on my AX86U. I can't find any log to show that.

When I did a dirty install of this firmware, the DoT preset server list was missing from the webUI, so I entered the Quad9 servers manually. Been using this since the 1/11 release date.

Yesterday when the latest AC86U firmware dropped, I did a clean install of this firmware on the AX86U. The DoT preset server list was present, although the entries for Quad9 are simply Quad9 1 and Quad9 2.

However, selecting the DoT preset servers for Quad9 installed a weird/corrupt looking address... something like 2008:24::ef:. I backed out to the top and tried again with expected results:

DNS1 9.9.9.9
DNS2 149.112.112.112

DoT1 9.9.9.9 dns.quad9.net
DoT2 149.112.112.112 dns.quad9.net

Now you know!

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!