What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46061 (2022/01/11)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

When I did a dirty install of this firmware, the DoT preset server list was missing from the webUI, so I entered the Quad9 servers manually. Been using this since the 1/11 release date.

Yesterday when the latest AC86U firmware dropped, I did a clean install of this firmware on the AX86U. The DoT preset server list was present, although the entries for Quad9 are simply Quad9 1 and Quad9 2.

However, selecting the DoT preset servers for Quad9 installed a weird/corrupt looking address... something like 2008:24::ef:. I backed out to the top and tried again with expected results:

DNS1 9.9.9.9
DNS2 149.112.112.112

DoT1 9.9.9.9 dns.quad9.net
DoT2 149.112.112.112 dns.quad9.net

Now you know!

OE

2620:fe::fe is their IPV6 address. Was it possibly this?

2620:fe::fe is their IPV6 address. Was it possibly this?

It looked like that and could have been that... I should have saved it. IPv6 crossed my mind at the time but I've never enabled IPv6. It felt like a glitch in the moment.

OE

When I did a dirty install of this firmware, the DoT preset server list was missing from the webUI, so I entered the Quad9 servers manually. Been using this since the 1/11 release date.

Yesterday when the latest AC86U firmware dropped, I did a clean install of this firmware on the AX86U. The DoT preset server list was present, although the entries for Quad9 are simply Quad9 1 and Quad9 2.

However, selecting the DoT preset servers for Quad9 installed a weird/corrupt looking address... something like 2008:24::ef:. I backed out to the top and tried again with expected results:

DNS1 9.9.9.9
DNS2 149.112.112.112

DoT1 9.9.9.9 dns.quad9.net
DoT2 149.112.112.112 dns.quad9.net

Now you know!

OE

I found that if I did too clean of a reset to factory defaults, then not only was the preset servers field for DoT missing, but the Traffic Analyzer - Statistic didn't work right, either. I could fix them both by doing just a WPS button reset...then the preset server dropdown showed up. If the traffic statistics didn't work right after a reset, I could turn on QoS and Web History for a while, and the traffic statistics would start to work after while.

But yes, you can also enter the DoT preset servers manually, that worked as well when the dropdown list was missing *smile*.

I have concluded here that enabling DoT on a standalone AX86U 46061 router disrupts Internet access for clients on any guest WLAN... in my case, TuneIn Radio streaming buffers endlessly and the Wyze cam app does not load on the 2.4 guest1,2 WLANs until DoT is disabled. Non-guest WLANs are not affected. I tried Quad9 and CloudFlare DoT servers. Internet service is COX cable.

Note that the client connection/WiFi must be toggled after enabling/disabling DoT on the router to see a change when testing.

OE

Interesting, I don't seem to have guest network issues on 3.0.0.4.386.46061. I generally don't use the guest networks, but to test this I enabled a 5Ghz guest newtork, am logged in right now, with DoT enabled, Cloudflare shows it's active and working, I've toggled the WiFi off/on via Windows as suggested, and the network seems ok, just as fast as non-guest, no buffering issue on either guest and non-guest (streaming music using Logitech Media Server on non-guest, and YouTube music on guest).

I have concluded here that enabling DoT on a standalone AX86U 46061 router disrupts Internet access for clients on any guest WLAN... in my case, TuneIn Radio streaming buffers endlessly and the Wyze cam app does not load on the 2.4 guest1,2 WLANs until DoT is disabled. Non-guest WLANs are not affected. I tried Quad9 and CloudFlare DoT servers. Internet service is COX cable.

Note that the client connection/WiFi must be toggled after enabling/disabling DoT on the router to see a change when testing.

OE

Update: This issue does not present if intranet access is enabled on the guest WLAN.

OE

Intranet enabled or disabled on guest WLAN? I used the default disabled intranet on guest, and streaming was working fine on both guest/non-guest. Perhaps there are other settings differences we have affecting this.

Intranet enabled or disabled on guest WLAN? I used the default disabled intranet on guest, and streaming was working fine on both guest/non-guest. Perhaps there are other settings differences we have affecting this.

Guest intranet enabled permits me to enable DoT without disrupting guest Internet access as described earlier. It's a mystery here. My settings are in my notes.

I admin 3 AX86U networks. When I have a chance, I will test for this issue on the other two networks... one being mine with a node.

OE

Last edited:
Guest intranet enabled permits me to enable DoT without disrupting guest Internet access as described earlier. It's a mystery here. My settings are in my notes.

I admin 3 AX86U networks. When I have a chance, I will test for this issue on the other two networks... one being mine with a node.

OE
AX86U with this Asus firmware and AC66U_B1 AiMesh node. Guest1 2.4 GHz. All clients connected to the Guest1 have internet access without intranet enabled.

OE
Thanks, @OzarkEdge, your notes are filled with very useful information. Wish I'd seen it before I spent weeks settling in on 80MHz/149/vertical-antennas. That should be a sticky post somewhere on top of Asus forum (I'm still finding my way around these forums, so maybe it's already stuck somewhere).

AX86U with this Asus firmware and AC66U_B1 AiMesh node. Guest1 2.4 GHz. All clients connected to the Guest1 have internet access without intranet enabled.

Yeah... it's a mystery here... I will try to replicate the issue on my own network next week... I don't use my guest WLANs much at home, so have not seen it there.

OE

Yeah... it's a mystery here... I will try to replicate the issue on my own network next week... I don't use my guest WLANs much at home, so have not seen it there.

OE

Same issue on my own network... looking forward to the next firmware.

OE

Same issue on my own network... looking forward to the next firmware.

OE
Do you by chance have a switch anywhere between primary router and AiMesh node(s)?

If there is such a thing, Asus too scared to brick our routers so we will have to wait a couple years for the next update ;-)
It's going on 4 months with no new stock f/w. It's possible that I upgrade the entire router (to AXE16000) before a new f/w is posted.

It's going on 4 months with no new stock f/w.
There was an update released only two weeks ago, but it was pulled as Asus were investigating reports of a few routers being bricked by this update.

There was an update released only two weeks ago, but it was pulled as Asus were investigating reports of a few routers being bricked by this update.
Yep, this post . I'll need a backup axe16000 asap!

Have any insights as to what could have caused such a fubar?

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!