What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX86U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_49599 (2022/07/12)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Mostly use the defaults and only change known culprits. Universal beamforming cut throughput on a legacy 2010 Dell laptop I had, so worth a try.

OE
Right, I've returned my settings to my known good setup based on the above screen shots. I talked to people I know earlier who are specifically in the Apple community and they also made the suggestion that internet speed tests aren't always trustworthy, and it's more about real world day to day use, and everything works as it should from that respect.

I skipped the last release but loaded this one. Seems fine but I really haven't had time to look past that everyone can connect fine

Works great for me, stable so far.
Fast on gigabit connection with ~945 Mbps download…

The RF design needs room to develop the strongest signal/throughput possible. Contrary to older designs where mere distance in inches determined peak performance.
This get me intressted can you elborate about how RF signals behave.

Last edited:
I'm not the one to ask and fully explain how RF signals behave.

I do know though that older routers performed much worse (throughput) at distance than almost any of today's routers perform.

The RF design (total, overall; radios, traces, connecting wires, SoCs, antennae, and SDK used, etc.) and theory/philosophy of today's routers are much more advanced, particularly, throughput at distance than anything I've used before.

This is another reason why an AC class router (particularly an older one) isn't recommended by me anymore. The benefits are obvious (in most environments) even to AC class device clients.

A long time ago, the RT-AC86U was the most powerful router I had used in my home. Today, the RT-AX68U simply leaves it in its dust. It's not just the hardware. It is the combination of items hinted at in paragraph three above.

After a clean install, U-NII-4 is still there...

Set disable 160, 80 bw, ch 36, apply.
Then set enable 160, 20/40/80/160 bw, ch 36, apply. You'll get this:
View attachment 42767

Then set ch 36, apply. You'll get this:
View attachment 42768

Perhaps AX86U Pro code is not sufficiently isolated from AX86U code/webUI.

OE
Is Asus A/B testing in f/w now!? Maybe newer h/w (serial #) has the RF filters required for unii4 and the f/w can detect and enable?

What does your manual control channel go up to (I.e. does it allow unii4 ch)?

Was about to post I was having DDNS issues (I know ASUS DDNS is quirky), but it turns out it just doesn't like Quad9. Still running great.

Is Asus A/B testing in f/w now!? Maybe newer h/w (serial #) has the RF filters required for unii4 and the f/w can detect and enable?

I don't know.

U-NII-2c 100-116, 132-140... it skips 120,124,128,144; no U-NII-4. I assume 120,124,128 (TDWR weather radar) are used as extension channels for 160MHz, if that's what the user wants.

OE

Was about to post I was having DDNS issues (I know ASUS DDNS is quirky), but it turns out it just doesn't like Quad9. Still running great.

Was it Quad9 with or without DoT?

I have to disable DoT to setup a Wyze cam, but then I can enable it again... presumably an IoT cloud issue.

OE

Tried it and will not hold 160MHz. Tried the 160MHz setting, the 20/40/80/160 setting, with auto channel, with specific channel set to 36, with DFS checked and unchecked.

Back to 46061 which was rock solid holding 160MHz. No gyrations. Just set it and it just works.

Was it Quad9 with or without DoT?

I have to disable DoT to setup a Wyze cam, but then I can enable it again... presumably an IoT cloud issue.

OE
It was actually both. It started having issues with DoT, which I seem to have problems with Quad9 DoT every time I try it, but then I had DDNS errors spamming the log and noticed the exclamation point on the DDNS status. A restart fixed it for a few minutes and then it came back. So I tried without, it worked for a bit and started having trouble again. Switched back to my ISP and it has been fine. I think the Quad 9 DoT servers I get pointed at and my ISP don't work well for whatever reason. I had tried 1.1.1.2 with DoT without issue.

The RF design needs room to develop the strongest signal/throughput possible. Contrary to older designs where mere distance in inches determined peak performance.

I'm not the one to ask and fully explain how RF signals behave.
I was most curious how do you explain "RF design needs room to develop the strongest signal/throughput" I don't understand this reasoning.

Tried it and will not hold 160MHz. Tried the 160MHz setting, the 20/40/80/160 setting, with auto channel, with specific channel set to 36, with DFS checked and unchecked.

Back to 46061 which was rock solid holding 160MHz. No gyrations. Just set it and it just works.

A few hours later and still holding 160MHz on 46061.

Is the newer WiFi driver the issue on these newer revisions? Why would 46061 hold 160MHz for weeks while the newer firmware dumps to 80MHz in 10 min?

A few hours later and still holding 160MHz on 46061.

Is the newer WiFi driver the issue on these newer revisions? Why would 46061 hold 160MHz for weeks while the newer firmware dumps to 80MHz in 10 min?

Are you using a WiFi5 node?

OE

I've not been able to duplicate what OE gets with UNII-4 channels even with Factory reset/initialize or hard factory reset. None the less, this firmware is working very well for me!

I have not had an issue with Asus DDNS when running Quad9. DoT or otherwise. Cloudflare and Clean Browsing anycast servers are closer to me than Quad9 and thus are faster. But Quad9 still works.

I have not had an issue with Asus DDNS when running Quad9. DoT or otherwise. Cloudflare and Clean Browsing anycast servers are closer to me than Quad9 and thus are faster. But Quad9 still works.
Yeah I don’t get it. I have talked with Quad9 and it seems Comcast just routes funny from where I’m at. And for whatever reason I get random resolution errors when using Quad9 DoT on the router. Oddly it works fine on my phone. I don’t really care about the privacy aspect, it’s more for the security aspect. I’ll test it again in a while. I get noticeably better CDN performance by just using the ISP DNS anyway.

I was most curious how do you explain "RF design needs room to develop the strongest signal/throughput" I don't understand this reasoning.

You release compressed Wi-Fi in the air and it expands. Over time it fills the room and leaks into the next. It’s a new technology. After you upgrade the firmware, reboot in 1h. This way you build higher Wi-Fi pressure. ;)

Just read and absorb the knowledge. Stop asking questions.

You release compressed Wi-Fi in the air and it expands. Over time it fills the room and leaks into the next. It’s a new technology. After you upgrade the firmware, reboot in 1h. This way you build higher Wi-Fi pressure. ;)

Just read and absorb the knowledge. Stop asking questions.
Hope you are joking .... ;)
Radio waves propagate in the same direction at the same time as it transmits.
The signal strength decreases by half with increasing distance.
You can not manipulate the laws of physics.

I have to ask questions if I do not understand what you mean and seem a little suspicious.

I did explain it as best as I can. The reasoning is the post I made previously.

I don't have time to do searches for you (and validate the links brought up via that search).

Try YouTube, you may get lucky and find someone to explain it as you need.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!