What's new

Asus RT-AX86U Gaming Configuration

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Teppka

Regular Contributor
Not sure if it's the right forum to post some questions but I received very valuable replies to set my new RT-AX86U up and home there will be some gamers here to share some knowledge.

I'm running Asuswrt and have general information about how Asus QoS works. Have Game on highest priority followed by lower priority ones. RT-AX86U also has few game related sections which I'm not sure I understand completely and need some help.

Game - Game Device Prioritizing is ON. I've also added Mac address of my Xbox Series X console which is connected wirelessly (unfortunately LAN cable is not an option)

Mobile game mode is not of concern for me.

1. Open NAT section. Should I enable Port Forwarding? If yes should it remain open permanently or should I open it only while playing on console?

2. Game list - have created a record for BFV and my Xbox Series X. But I fail to understand how and when it will work. Once bound will this function automatically kick in as soon as Xbox console is on and connected? Should game mode be turned on during play or it kicks in automatically?

3. Is gaming mode activation on Asus Router Android app is related to mobile gaming mode only?

4. Adaptive QoS - QoS - Enable GeForce NOW QoS UPnP control - my understanding is this optimization is for GeForce NOW only. I don't have GeForce now, will switching it on bring any improvement for Xbox Series X?

Will appreciate any help.
Thanks.

To me, the best config to play, is to remove any filter from your router to your Xbox (filter = QOS, Firewall, etc)

1:/ Disable QOS (unless you have plenty of people downloading, viewing IPTV, etc).
2:/ Enable UNPNP (this will open automatically any port needed by your console and games, and close the opened ports after a while when your console is off) and is a good replacement Port forwarding manually...
3:/ It would be better to connect your PC/Console with an ethernet cable instead of WIFI (even if they say playing router, it is just a router, and Cable if usually better than wifi, unless you have Ethernet 10/100 and Wifi AC)..

In my understanding you don't need anything else, but I would be interested to read what a more skilled user would have to say, after all, i am also a player (PS4 Pro)...

Last edited:
Did you try adding RGB lights to it? :D

When my customers ask me to set their network up for 'gaming', I nod and just do what I do for everyone else. Set it up properly. There is no gaming setup (that is marketing). Get your network stable, reliable, and 'fast' will take care of itself.

Many tips in the link in my signature below.

When my customers ask me to set their network up for 'gaming', I nod and just do what I do for everyone else. Set it up properly. There is no gaming setup (that is marketing). Get your network stable, reliable, and 'fast' will take care of itself.

Many tips in the link in my signature below.
Agreed... They invented Gaming wifi routers, but everybody know it is better to play with a console or pc cable connected...
The thing which matter really with online gaming is your ping (latency), and the more filter you add, the worst it is (filter = qos)... you can monitor your ip traffic with other version of tomato, to see how much bandwidth your game really need (with freshtomato it require enabling QOS or the transfer rates/view detail sub-section are not enabled)...

The RT-AX82U with the Aura RGB lighting system

1610052405974.png

...looks kind of like a Romulan vessel from Star Trek.

1610052235842.png

Last edited:
To me, the best config to play, is to remove any filter from your router to your Xbox (filter = QOS, Firewall, etc)

1:/ Disable QOS (unless you have plenty of people downloading, viewing IPTV, etc).
2:/ Enable UNPNP (this will open automatically any port needed by your console and games, and close the opened ports after a while when your console is off) and is a good replacement Port forwarding manually...
3:/ It would be better to connect your PC/Console with an ethernet cable instead of WIFI (even if they say playing router, it is just a router, and Cable if usually better than wifi, unless you have Ethernet 10/100 and Wifi AC)..

In my understanding you don't need anything else, but I would be interested to read what a more skilled user would have to say, after all, i am also a player (PS4 Pro)...
A few questions:
1) Disable QOS - will disabling this lower the security of my home network?
2) Asus AIProtection Pro - will this feature slow down/interfere with online gaming?
Here's a link that provides more details on Asus AIProtection: https://www.asus.com/Content/AiProtection
3) DMZ - will putting the private IP address of one of my gaming consoles in the DMZ improve its functioning in online gaming?

A few questions:
1) Disable QOS - will disabling this lower the security of my home network?
2) Asus AIProtection Pro - will this feature slow down/interfere with online gaming?
Here's a link that provides more details on Asus AIProtection: https://www.asus.com/Content/AiProtection
3) DMZ - will putting the private IP address of one of my gaming consoles in the DMZ improve its functioning in online gaming?

1. No, unless your anal
2. No
3. Yes but you will be vulnerable from every single farking computer on the planet as a reuslt

Forget DMZ, and use UNPNP, UNPNP will open port needed by your games or applications on your LAN.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!