What's new

ASUS-RT-AX86U kernel protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mkaand

Occasional Visitor
Hi Guys,

I researched this forum about buggy protocol error but I couldn't find proper fix for my system. I see lots of ASUS-RT-AX86U kernel protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7 error on Syslog. How can I fix that? How can I know eth7 is which interface? Thanks in advance.

I figured it out If Guest Network has no Intranet access this error occur. If I give access to Intranet for Guest 1 and Guest 2 networks, buggy protocol error disappear. I use Beta 3 and IPv6 disabled.

I figured it out If Guest Network has no Intranet access this error occur. If I give access to Intranet for Guest 1 and Guest 2 networks, buggy protocol error disappear. I use Beta 3 and IPv6 disabled.

Not seeing that error at all in the latest [and first] 386 firmware stock code released by Asus for the RT-AX86U.
Now we must wait patiently for RMerlin to weave his magic now that he has been given the GPL for that firmware and can build using corrected closed source chunks of code. {WiFi / Guest WiFi / Aimesh etc. all pretty much closed course].

Same protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth7 errors almost continuously w/beta 2 on my RT-AX86U w/IPV6 (full wipe, fresh install). Just installed beta 3, same errors. Turned of the single guest network (which didn't allow access to intranet - and since I've got no guests in the house lately, didn't need it). Errors went away.

ASUS RT-AC86U, ASUS Merlin 386.1, turned off Guest network and "kernel: protocol 0800 is buggy, dev eth5" went away. Will play with it some more, just confirming what two others have already said. Thanks!

Yep, enabling Guest Network, error comes back, enabling Intranet access, error goes away. That's not something I want for my guests, so turning off Guest Network. :)
Nice not seeing all those error messages! Thanks Again.

What about when you enable GN2, 3, or 4? Does the error return then too?

I realize my HW is not the same, but perhaps this helps Merlin or some others to try to pinpoint the problem.
I'm using Merlin 386.1 on ax88u (base) and ax3000 (mesh node). If I enable Guest Network only on the base unit (i.e. do not propagate guest net to the mesh node) I do not get the error. As soon as I enable guest network on the mesh node, I get the error ~ 10 - 20 errors per second.
Again, not trying to confuse the issue with different HW, but the fact that I am getting the same error related to guest net seems like it might be a data point that helps.

What about when you enable GN2, 3, or 4? Does the error return then too?
That is interesting.
2G_Guest Error occurs when Intranet access is disabled, Intranet access enabled error goes away
2G_Guest2 no error
2G_Guest3 no error

5G_Guest Error occurs when Intranet access is disabled, Intranet access enabled error goes away
5G_Guest2 no error
5G_Guest3 no error

I realize my HW is not the same, but perhaps this helps Merlin or some others to try to pinpoint the problem.
I'm using Merlin 386.1 on ax88u (base) and ax3000 (mesh node). If I enable Guest Network only on the base unit (i.e. do not propagate guest net to the mesh node) I do not get the error. As soon as I enable guest network on the mesh node, I get the error ~ 10 - 20 errors per second.
Again, not trying to confuse the issue with different HW, but the fact that I am getting the same error related to guest net seems like it might be a data point that helps

That is interesting.
2G_Guest Error occurs when Intranet access is disabled, Intranet access enabled error goes away
2G_Guest2 no error
2G_Guest3 no error

5G_Guest Error occurs when Intranet access is disabled, Intranet access enabled error goes away
5G_Guest2 no error
5G_Guest3 no error
Thank you. Error gone when using guest2 or 3.

Thank you. Error gone when using guest2 or 3.
Does anyone think this might have something to do with the fact that Guest 1 can be shared across the mesh, but 2 and 3 cannot?

Yes, everyone does. :)

Asus is working on this as we speak, I'm sure.

I’m also getting the same issue on the latest merlin firmware, I’m happy to share logs or diagnostics or something if that’s of any help :)

Welcome to the forums @stef1949.

As hinted above, Asus needs to fix this. RMerlin can't fix anything within the closed source blobs Asus provides in the GPL downloads available.

I disabled my guest wireless network and the error went away.

Thanks for informing me! And a general thank you to everyone for helping out others with general questions!

Also a big thank you for keeping a generally cool attitude to the questions! Online people get really worked up over questions being repeated over and over again but I'm happy to see that everyone generally keeps a humbled attitude to it. It's really welcoming and very refreshing thanks :).

has asus actually fixed this issue? I am on merlin 386.3.2 AX88U , still have this error if I enable the guest network 1 on either 2.4G or 5G

has asus actually fixed this issue? I am on merlin 386.3.2 AX88U , still have this error if I enable the guest network 1 on either 2.4G or 5G
Nope. If you are tired of seeing the error message in the log set both the log settings to critical. Poof! No more error and Guest 1 and 2 works just fine.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!