What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Ok, I really didn’t want to get into this, it’s my personal choice, you have yours.

Hidden SSID is Not any help to secure your Wi-Fi Network, but it keeps it out of the visible list, any nearby Windows or android systems continually look for wifi connections in a crowded aria like mine I have many automated connections to my router, and they don’t have the password, but my router is saying no you cannot connect, so a hidden SSID will cut down those connections, so my router don’t waste part of the performance to reject these requests all the time.

Yes My Neighbour guessed my password, I've known him for many years, at first I didn't say anything, but I draw a line when he uses my WIFI for many bad things, with me getting the blame, NO VPN at the time.

A Hidden SSID could be ideal for you to avoid such kind of problem, and a random generated password used to login each time.

END

I’m here to find out about connecting 2 routers into a Mesh system, something I’ve never tried in the 7 years or more using the Asus routers as normal, and adding more routers and more when one gets over crowded.

Mesh systems are very popular, and can help distribute a lot of devices I have, between upstairs and downstairs. The connections are already established, I’m not going through 100 or more devices giving them a new wifi and password.

This is a very big house, 12 bedrooms, and a hell of a lot of devices, easy to keep adding and adding until your router says no more.

So, I’m going back to the article you told me to read, later I will add at least 5 more mesh routers, and the reason I asked about the new AX version...

I'm here to find out information I know nothing about, that's all, sorry if I offended you, I didn't mean to do so, but I really don't want to argue about things totally irrelevant to why I'm here

IF YOU DON’T MIND, IM GOING TO READ LIKE YOU SAID

Thanks everyone, now all working as a mesh system, its great once its setup, you can bind each device to upstairs or downstairs, signal is same EVERYWHERE Now need to add some more mesh routers, perhaps one in the stable, or one in the kitchen, or one up the big loft, who knows I might be up there looking at silly paintings that's a silly price AND need the internet.

Its not been fun, but now it be easy, in fact no need to reset the router as written, Asus / Merlin does that for you when you tell it its a node. There is plenty of control, I decide what connects where.

Now need to hide SSID, switch VPN back on, mmmm wonder if one VPN connection does all the mesh... try and see

Mark this as done

Image4.png

Naturally I changed EVERYTHING in the routers, as you can see 28 wifi devices in total, 10 of them now bound to upstairs. Hue back online 70 devices, Zigbee back online, 200 devices, lots of room now, anybody know what a Hon Hai is :) it shows up now and then, be gone soon

Goodbye, hope anyone reading finds it useful

Add another, just hit the search find AImesh node after you switch it on, might try wifi next : )

2x AC86U in AiMesh will provide more coverage and support more devices than 1x AX86U, if that's your question. The best performance is when the two routers are wired together and not wireless. Even better performance is Router + Access Point on different Wi-Fi channels, not AiMesh.
I have both setup, all 86U 2 using AI Mesh, 2 using a AP, waked about the house with a signal strength meter, the AI Mesh is rubbish, but the better of the two.

It keeps adding downstairs devices to the node upstairs, then all change 5 min later.

The 2.4G is really bad, i dont know how some of the older led strip light manage to work.

I am slowly converting those things to ZigBee, but its a lot of work.

So maybe 4 New AX86U for that lot, snd for my laptop's and phones only a Nice 6G band Router with merlin flashed, lot of research to do, and it will soon be Christmas again