What's new

ASUS RT-AX86U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

2x AC86U in AiMesh will provide more coverage and support more devices than 1x AX86U, if that's your question. The best performance is when the two routers are wired together and not wireless. Even better performance is Router + Access Point on different Wi-Fi channels, not AiMesh.
Yes, physically leads are there, right now theres a 86u right next to the router and connected. The other 86u which dont have any wifi connections is upstairs, it is also directly connected to the modem , so unplug it from modem and plug into router downstairs.

So i use the downstairs 86u as the main router, connected to the modem.

The upstairs 86u i can remove the lead from the modem and plug it into the downstairs 86u instead

So main router downstairs connected to modem, then a lead from it already going through floorboards connected to the upstairs 86u

So both linked via a network lead, main downstairs i dont want to loose any of its named list, you know when a device is connected it might be called Amazon AS2244 and i know its a echo show 10, so renamed it, and this is the overloaded router. The upstairs one i dont care what i loose because there is only a Philips hue bridge connected now, rest have been moved to ZigBee.

So how )- ive never been brave enough to link them and change the mode in case i loose my special names.

I did print out a list, im reading 2 diffrent ways, the downstairs has a reserved ip range for example 1 to 127 and then the upstairs has the range of 128 to 255 both broadcast the same router id name on both bands.

The other was to use a diffrent ip pool, which i sort of tried, but could only connect to router 1 when router 2 switched off

Sorry the more i type the more complicated it sounds. Also im an expert in once sence, but a total beginner in another sence -)

So, downstairs router 4 ports in use, but i can ger rid of the Zigbee bridge and use the echo show 10 zigbee bridge, i have 3 of the echo show 10, so that leaves a port to run the lead to the upstairs router, lead already in place when i connected the upstairs router to the modem

ok, i just read back what i typed and its all confusing as hell, so could you tell me the mode to switch the master router to and if i need to reserve 1 to 127

Then the upstairs router, what to set that to, or will it find it via the network lead.

i think i need to re write that lot, but i think you know what im trying to do .

1, downstairs router, right next to modem, many connections, some connections coming from upstairs (will be main)

2, upstairs router, a distance from the modem, but has a very long Cat 7 lead going to it, not any wifi connections to it now, only philips hue direct
(Slave) ha ha i forgot the correct name...

I guess if i link them using AiMesh Some names would change anyway.

So be easier if you said how you would use AiMesh using cat 7 leads not via wifi
hope this makes sense, it does to me, but getting it on forum pages is a nightmare.

Thanks for any help, please understand i cant yet understand the AiMesh settings.

Pat

Router + Access Point on different Wi-Fi channels, not AiMesh.

just seen that, that must have been the other way i tried, but both routers still connected direct to modem

i seam to have lost a post

You need to draw a diagram of your network. You were talking about 4x AC86U on the previous page, then 2x AC86U routers both connected to a modem on this page... I don't know what's going on there, how your routers are setup and if this modem is a modem only or a modem/router in router mode.

sorry, trying to explain what is, and what i want.

i want 1 router downstairs as its right next to the cable modem, so this is the main router. then another router upstairs linked with cat 7 cable i call the slave, as i forgot its right name

Sorry very difficult when trying to explaining, as i have never set up 2 routers using 1 to extend the other, dont know where leads go, dont know how to log in to each router and use the asus program to configure each

i just thought i had it, because one router lost all the items down the left, just a few left, vpn is gone on the left list in 1 router

Anyway the diagram, i can draw one out using psp if you want, ill try here

Cable Modem (downstairs)
router 1 one foot away

router 2 is upstairs and i would like it to extend the range and provide connections to devices upstairs.

modem / router 1/ network lead to router 2

both routers must have a wifi id the same, call it "Media" for 2.4g and "MediaFast" for 5g

think id go draw a picture and upload it with photos, take a while, but when done i think you will laugh (- -)

Just use wired AiMesh setup instructions. It will work fine with 2x AC86U routers. Information is available at Asus support website.

1672244722984.png

Typical, just when I wanted to return to this forum my VPN server had gone down, well router needed rebooting 4444&&&^%$$

Ok forget the other 2 routers, they are operating fine, one up one down for smart devices, the two im working on are for media devices, like TV, Google home, Alexa, Blue ray, so overloaded.

Ok did a photo, promise not to laugh, PSP (Paint Shop Pro) is getting on a bit, just like me :)

The Photo
Router Layout.png

As you can see (I think) my cable modem (white) Linked (I don't know how) to router 1 Downstairs Via the green Cat7 lead, then a link from router 1 (I don't know how) to router 2 upstairs

Both routers have same Sid, and I usually hide them to make things even more complicated, Also I have the VPN programmed in all 4 routers just to make things more complicated, but only one router "VPN" or "VPNF" is used for things like Phone, laptop, that is nothing to do with the Media router 1 and 2

Anygood? right now nothing in the house is working as I have configured perhaps both routers to be the slave...

But your right I just want to extend the coverage and let some devices connect upstairs and some devices downstairs using AiMesh , I never used this mode in my life, so totally lost on how to connect to router 1, and perhaps disconnect router 2, then connect to router 2 and set it up

I was using the following ip address 192.168.2.1 to connect to media, the second router was being used for Philips hue, so don't matter what happens to that. If anything I got the leeds wrong, I do have a signal tracer

Ill shut up as making it more complicated again

how to setup asus, put leads like they are in your photo, how to log in, lost them

Ok, Wired 2 routers together correctly

now have an extra lead going to downstairs router, ready to login and see what's what

Just follow the instructions for AiMesh setup. You have to read and understand what changes you make to your network.

Image1.png

Downstairs

Image2.png

Upstairs

Ok, the biggest problem was the hidden SId's while setting up this mode nothing could be found, however its not the mode I wanted, but I do now have them as an extention, but things that should be connected upstairs are still connecting downstairs. The only think that will happen with this setup if one router goes offline the other takes over.

Where do I go from here, leased I can see them all now

main
25 connections

slave
25 connections

Both have same SID "Media" and "MediaFast"

This mode isn't going to split the connections

Ok, the biggest problem was the hidden SId's while setting up this mode

No idea what hidden SSIDs you are talking about.

but things that should be connected upstairs are still connecting downstairs

You don't need one of the routers then. What is this second router doing?

And why? Hidden SSIDs are not that hidden. You only make your life more difficult.

Not clear why you need a second router in this location if the devices around readily connect to one router only.

Sorry, I Thought you would know what the Service Set Identifier or (SSID) was, as minenis always set to hidden, to add extra security, nobody can see the routers wifi name in the first place

And why? Hidden SSIDs are not that hidden. You only make your life more difficult.

Sorry I posted same time, I think you need to do some research on what I said, just a very easy way to stop hackers, if they cannot see the name of your wifi in the first place, there is even less chance they can use your wifi, especially if you use things like "JohnsPlace" as the password > not my password

just a very easy way to stop hackers

No, it's not. I'm not a hacker and I can see your hidden SSIDs and do some other things. A real hacker is going to laugh only.

Getting back on topic, Im reading the Asus tutorials

This is a good start. Just remember - more Wi-Fi than needed is not better.

ell me how the neighbours logged into my wifi then?

You must have good hackers as neighbors or very weak Wi-Fi password. One of the two. :)