What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U - 1Gbits Internet not working

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Goned75

Regular Contributor
Hi,

I've just been upgrade from my ISP (Bell) to have 1 Gbps.

But...with AX88u....not able to have 1 Gbps...I'm arround 800 Mbps.

With original ISP router...I got 1 Gbps.

So....where I need to look ?

I'm using latest version of rMerlin.

Thanks,

Wired or wireless?

Were you using QoS before? Did you disable it, reboot the router, and verify that HW acceleration is on? If not, you may have other options enabled that has the router in an unstable state. (Simply toggling some features makes the router unstable, if you simply toggle them back).

Wired or wireless?

Were you using QoS before? Did you disable it, reboot the router, and verify that HW acceleration is on? If not, you may have other options enabled that has the router in an unstable state. (Simply toggling some features makes the router unstable, if you simply toggle them back).

Always Wired my friend.

I have already try QoS before...but is disable...and reboot multiple time.

1639621333831.png

I see the cpu load average very high :

1639621362149.png

With just this

1639621546896.png

Was the router firmware recently updated? What is the uptime on it right now?

What firmware is installed today?

When RMerlin was first installed, was the router fully reset to factory defaults then?

Was the router firmware recently updated? What is the uptime on it right now?

What firmware is installed today?

When RMerlin was first installed, was the router fully reset to factory defaults then?

Not recently updated - last time is this summer i think

1639622209031.png

386.3_2 actually

When RMerlin was first installed - yes reset to factory

Hi,

I've just been upgrade from my ISP (Bell) to have 1 Gbps.

But...with AX88u....not able to have 1 Gbps...I'm arround 800 Mbps.

With original ISP router...I got 1 Gbps.

So....where I need to look ?

I'm using latest version of rMerlin.

Thanks,
I have 1.2gb service and an AX88U. I *never* get more than about 800 mb througput when using a single modem to router Ethernet cable. I *only* get 1gb+ when using my modem's channel bonding and the AX88U's WAN Aggregation feature. Check to ensure you have a modem capable of LACP, Link Ag, Channel Bonding, WAN Agg, however it describes it, then set up your AX88U with the WAN Agg feature and paired CAT6 short enet cables. It will work.

I doubt if your ISP modem will have the feature - costs more. But you could locate several compatible modems that will. I'm using a Netgear CM1200 with Comcast service with my AX88U, Merlin 386-4 Alpha3 and couldn't be happier.

Last edited:
I have 1.2gb service and an AX88U. I *never* get more than about 800 mb througput when using a single modem to router Ethernet cable. I *only* get 1gb+ when using my modem's channel bonding and the AX88U's WAN Aggregation feature. Check to ensure you have a modem capable of LACP, Link Ag, Channel Bonding, WAN Agg, however it describes it, then set up your AX88U with the WAN Agg feature. It will work.

I doubt if your ISP router will have the feature - costs more. But you could locate several compatible modems that will. I'm using a Netgear CM1200 with Comcast service with my AX88U, Merlin 386-4 Alpha3 and couldn't be happier.

Oh interesting. Maybe @RMerlin know this issue ?

To clarify, it isn't an issue with the Merlin firmware, it is simply the capability of the CPU to process the overhead and the maximum throughput the single enet port is capable of with everything going on. If you add a script or two, or a watchdog service like Skynet, throughput will drop further. The CPU is maxing out on the single enet channel IO. Bond a second channel, second enet I/O and the CPU can 'breathe' easier.

To clarify, it isn't an issue with the Merlin firmware, it is simply the capability of the CPU to process the overhead and the maximum throughput the single enet port is capable of with everything going on. If you add a script or two, or a watchdog service like Skynet, throughput will drop further. The CPU is maxing out on the single enet channel IO. Bond a second channel, second enet I/O and the CPU can 'breathe' easier.

Hum....not cool...

If I simulate a WAN link with a switch LAG - do you think is work ? Maybe try this thing this week :)

For example :

OPTIC FIBER => FIBER PORT SW => 2 PORT ETH SW VLAN => 2 PORT ETH ASUS 88U

On my RT-AX88U, with 1gbps service with Rogers, speed tests come back in the high 950+ range consistently. I am not running any scripts or add-ons.

Interesting too...what is your config ?
For what specifically? It's essentially factory defaults (fw 384.18) with VPN setup.

A single cat6 cable to the ISP router modem in double Nat.

Last edited:
W
I'm using cat5e cable...order cat6 but i think is not that my issue...
What does your topology look like, I am with Bell Canada as well with gigabit package and RT-AX88U, I get routinely get more than 920+ and 810 on upload, even though on website it is 750 for upload. Once bell bring fiber to you door, what is the rest of setup in your case.

W

What does your topology look like, I am with Bell Canada as well with gigabit package and RT-AX88U, I get routinely get more than 920+ and 810 on upload, even though on website it is 750 for upload. Once bell bring fiber to you door, what is the rest of setup in your case.

TP LINK Media converter Fiber to Ethernet - Ethernet to patch (to go to my eth port on my home) - to the router that it
Cat 6 on the wall - but my cable connected to the router is Cat 5e...

I need to test directly from the TP LINK Media converter to look the speed.

Ok so i have try some tests.

I think my TP Link media converter has the problem.

But actually after multiple reboot of TP link clean fiber etc...

I have this speed :

1639677632482.png

My plan is 1 Gbps / 750 Mbps

Don't fuss over the Ca6/Cat5e cabling. Either is fine for very long runs (100m) at 1gbit/sec. I even exclusively use Cat5e here for 2.5gbit ethernet .

I'm also on bell with TP-Link Media converter and your speeds looks like what I see.

speedtest.PNG

When you don't by pass with a media converter and use PPPOE passthru with the HH3000 or HH4000 Bell router it sync internally at 2.5Gbps so when you do a speed test from the bell modem you will see higher speeds. However your media converter syncs at 1Gbps so you won't see anything past 940mbps download with it.

There are no consumer media converters that I've seen on the market that sync at 2.5Gbps available.

Don't fuss over the Ca6/Cat5e cabling. Either is fine for very long runs (100m) at 1gbit/sec. I even exclusively use Cat5e here for 2.5gbit ethernet .

Yes that's what I thought and think ... but hey you never know :D a faulty cable can sometimes be harmful.

I'm also on bell with TP-Link Media converter and your speeds looks like what I see.

View attachment 37843

When you don't by pass with a media converter and use PPPOE passthru with the HH3000 or HH4000 Bell router it sync internally at 2.5Gbps so when you do a speed test from the bell modem you will see higher speeds. However your media converter syncs at 1Gbps so you won't see anything past 940mbps download with it.

There are no consumer media converters that I've seen on the market that sync at 2.5Gbps available.

Exactly - I have search another converters but same thing. Maybe wait when I change my network topology for 10/40 Gbps one day :D