What's new

ASUS RT-AX88U and TOOB Broadband (UK)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

as I need help with moving a cupboard in front of the Toob Fibre Box, so that I can gain access to the ports on the bottom
Does this mean the linksys is currently connected and running on your network?
LAN to WAN or LAN to LAN?

Not yet. Still using the Asus router, as I did say that I still have that test to do, along with testing with computer directly connected to fibre box.

OK. I have carried out the following tests using my MacBook Pro (running MacOS 13)...

MacBook Pro connected to ASUS router via ethernet
MBP Ethernet to ASUS Router.png

MacBook Pro connected to ASUS router via WiFi 5G...
MBP WiFi 5G to ASUS Router.png

MacBook Pro connected to TOOB Fibre Wall Box via ethernet...
MBP Ethernet to TOOB Fibre Wall Box.png

I haven't done a test via TOOB's supplied Linksys router, as based on the above test results (particularly, the one from MBP directly to TOOB's fibre wall box), I doubt there would be any need to.

So, based on these results and the result from my second PC. This is looking to be an issue with my main PC only.

I have reinstalled the network card after uninstalling it and this was a slight improvement. Any ideas what else I can try (without doing a full PC reinstall) ?

Just to add a note: both PCs are running Windows 11 Pro 22H2 (OS Build 22621.2283). Both are connected to the ASUS router via ethernet using Cat6 cables.

Main PC to router using a 2m Cat6 cable.
Second PC to unmanaged switch (TP-Link TL-SG108S) [Amazon Link] using a 0.5m Cat6 cable, then a 15m Cat6 cable from switch to router.

After further tests using Microsoft Edge & Chrome on my main PC, I have now narrowed the issue down to Firefox, as I get close to my 900Mbps up/down on Edge & Chrome.

What's the best way to fix download speeds in Firefox ?

Stop using it. 🙂

Stop using it. 🙂
Some of us prefer Firefox :)

I'm going to try creating a new profile, then importing my profile from my second PC and see if that solves the speed issues.

Test first before Importing your profile.

My preference is for things to simply work. Firefox hasn't been that for a long time for me. 🙂

Tested without profile imported and still no joy, so I had to switch to Chrome on main (this) PC.

Got 937Mbps down & 913Mbps up, using Chrome.

Will switch second PC to Chrome, at least it will sync my extensions, bookmarks, etc over (once I got everything sorted on the main PC.

No idea why Firefox on main PC tanked with up/down speeds, but was fine on second PC.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!