What's new

Asus RT-AX88U, auto shutdown, after days with without stable WAN (Merlin)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

JarleH

Regular Contributor
Ok, up until today the router has been working 100% stable. Running Merlin 384.14.

On Saturday my modem broke, so on Sunday I started to set up a second fail-over WAN using my mobile phone. I have been pluging in/out the phone since Sunday, and the router has been on the whole time. BTW very nice feature!

Today I got the new modem, and when I started to plug/unplug wires, suddenly the router shut down, it booted back up, the first 3 lights on the router came on, and then the Net/WAN light went red and it shut down again. Each time I turned it on it shut down again in the same manner.

I had to hard reset the router using the red button on the back, turn on the router again, and upload a backup of my config. Now it looks to be stable again. BTW this reset only reset the config, Merlin firmware was still installed.

Anyone else had this happen? Is this 'normal'? Known bug? Firmware random bug? Any ideas?!

Ok, so noone else have encountered or heard about this bug/crash?

It kinda scared me, because the Asus just started to shutdown without me doing basicely anything to it, maybe I removed the cable from the modem, all I can remember me doing before this started to happen.

Also in the logs, it looked like the logs were blank during the whole happening, until I reset the Asus.

Ok, so noone else have encountered or heard about this bug/crash?

It kinda scared me, because the Asus just started to shutdown without me doing basicely anything to it, maybe I removed the cable from the modem, all I can remember me doing before this started to happen.

Also in the logs, it looked like the logs were blank during the whole happening, until I reset the Asus.

Maybe try the very latest firmware, & see if it fixes your issue?
Working great for me. (384.16 alpha 2).

https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=!AJLLKAY--4EBqDo&id=CCE5625ED3599CE0!1427&cid=CCE5625ED3599CE0

@JarleH I think you are the only one reporting such an occurrence, at least on these forums.

Today I got the new modem, and when I started to plug/unplug wires, suddenly the router shut down, it booted back up, the first 3 lights on the router came on, and then the Net/WAN light went red and it shut down again. Each time I turned it on it shut down again in the same manner.

How is the AC connection on both ends, where it plugs into the router and the power strip/wall ? Are they loose or maybe you bumped them ?

How is the AC connection on both ends, where it plugs into the router and the power strip/wall ? Are they loose or maybe you bumped them ?
I checked this several times, all cables were securely connected.
As I said; my IMPRESSION is that it started to happen when I disconnected the WAN cable (WAN were down when I removed the cable), but I do not know for sure if this is the reason for the shutdown to start.
To me it seems like a weird bug that happened. And yes, after resetting the router, the problem went away.

Not sure if it helps but I have seen, a AC 88u's wan port died, have you checked to see if it's not overheating by any chance?

Not sure if it helps but I have seen, a AC 88u's wan port died, have you checked to see if it's not overheating by any chance?

As I have said it was only a problem from I started to set up the modem to I reset the router. It is no longer a problem.

And there was no reason for it to overheat when it was basicly ideling. But a good point, this could have been a reason, I am just not seeing it in this case. Nothing in logs in this period either.

I have a problem with static electricity during this season.
I fried a brand new ASUS motherboard last year simply by putting my hand on the mouse without grounding myself first.

This may explain your unexpected shutdown since you were handling the WAN cable at the time.

Just to add: no more of this problem after reset, still back to normal with 100% stable operation