What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42819

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

LimJK

Very Senior Member
Version 3.0.0.4.386.42819
2021/04/29 70.06 MBytes
ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.42819
1. Fix VPN GUI issues.
2. Fix WAN connection issues. Special thanks to Yulei Zhang's contribution.
3. Fix AiMesh related bugs.
4. Minor GUI issue fixes.
5. Upgrade dropbear to version 2020.81
6. Fix buffer overflow vulnerability
7. Fix slowloris denial of service attack.
8. Fix authentication bypass vulnerability.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 47dcbe3ac7084a656304b269a0dd9b0f

Can anyone confirm that this has (or has not) solved the manual DNS issues with Pi-Hole? I'm running an alternate router at the moment and am in no hurry to get back to Asus if this issue isn't resolved.

I have been running smoothly with Stock AX88U 3.0.0.4_386_42819 for just about 2 16 32 hours.

My Configuration:
  • AiMesh Router: AX88U 3.0.0.4_386_42819 + 2 x AiMesh Nodes: AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_42643
  • Backhaul (Priority:"Auto", Type:"Wired"), Asus GX-U1051 5-Port Gigabit Switch from Router to Nodes, ISP: 1 Gbps Fibre
Process:
  • I first upgraded both my AiMesh Nodes from Merlin AC86U 386.2_2 to Stock AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_42643 and Factory Reset by “Remove”ing from AiMesh GUI,
  • followed by upgrading AiMesh Router from Merlin AC86U 386.2_2 to Stock AC86U 3.0.0.4_386_42819 and Factory Reset via GUI
  • and followed by Adding both my AiMesh Nodes and final AiMesh Reboot via GUI.
I use Stock FW default NVRAM settings except with the following changes:
  • Enabled AiProtection: ON
  • USB Application
    • UPnP Media Server: OFF
    • Samba Share: OFF
  • LAN:
    • 40 items in my DHCP manually Assigned IP List
  • Wireless:
    • 2.4 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 20MHz, Control Channel: 11
    • 5.0 GHz: Fixed Channel Bandwidth 80MHz, Control Channel: 149
    • Disabled Roaming Assistant
  • WAN DDNS:
    • Using Asus DDNS Service with Let’s Encrypt
  • VPN Servers (Connecting one at a time from the following clients) working correctly:
    • OpenVPN works with
      • MacBookPro macOS Catalina 10.15.7 - Tunnelblick 3.8.6 beta01 (build 5700),
      • iPhoneXsMax iOS14.5 - OpenVPN Connect 3.2.3
    • IPSec works with MacBookPro & iPhoneXsMax Native Configurations
      • Cisco IPSec
      • IKEv2
    • Instant Guard works with iPhoneXsMax iOS Instant Guard 1.0.0.1.5
Observation:
  • My AX88U AiMesh Router’s 2.4GHz band was set on Channel “11” or “Auto”; I noticed that both my AC86U AiMesh Nodes’ 2.4GHz band did not follow, they are stuck on Channel “1”. Not sure is this a new feature or a bug. (Edit: Already sent feedback to Asus with all logs and pointed them to this post)

Last edited:
After less than 12H with that new version- and both link speed and wan speeds are just awful- retrieved back to 386.42095.
Speeds dropped to around 600Mbps wireless and that never occurred previously.

Anyone can relate to that?

@Damit1, did you do a full reset without using a saved backup config file? After flashing the latest firmware on the router.

If not, the report you provide is only specific to your network (usage, ISP, client devices, network topology, etc.).

@Damit1, did you do a full reset without using a saved backup config file? After flashing the latest firmware on the router.

If not, the report you provide is only specific to your network (usage, ISP, client devices, network topology, etc.).
Nope, clean upgrade.

Hope this one

Fix WAN connection issues. Special thanks to Yulei Zhang's contribution.

will fix my issue.

From time to time like in 2 months maybe twice, my AX88U router lost connection between my ISP router (setup is in wireless mode via WAN). And I have to turn it Off and On to get it work again.
I noticed that this issue didn't happend before on previous firmwares, just on this 3.0.0.4.386.42095 one. Hope this 3.0.0.4.386.42819 will fix this issue.

Last edited:
After further checking-
I think there is some Wifi Speed drop.
But it is related to Link Speed already.

Anyone has issues with RSSI/Link Speed report with Samsung device?
Got it with S20 Ultra for months now and ASUS do not see anything special and reported them with a lot of reports.
They only see clients fighting for bandwidth as they say it.

After further checking-
I think there is some Wifi Speed drop.
But it is related to Link Speed already.

Anyone has issues with RSSI/Link Speed report with Samsung device?
Got it with S20 Ultra for months now and ASUS do not see anything special and reported them with a lot of reports.
They only see clients fighting for bandwidth as they say it.
I have 1Gbps/500Mbps internet in my home, and on my S21 Ultra I got around 650Mbps/496Mbps on 5Ghz, and my brother on S21 got almost same. I wonder how come on Wifi 6 we don't have full speed, I know that Wifi 6 is capable of delivering 9.6Gbps.

I have 1Gbps/500Mbps internet in my home, and on my S21 Ultra I got around 650Mbps/496Mbps on 5Ghz, and my brother on S21 got almost same. I wonder how come on Wifi 6 we don't have full speed, I know that Wifi 6 is capable of delivering 9.6Gbps.
These speeds are theoretical maximum. However it’s unlikely to ever reach those speeds in real-world WiFi use.

Last edited:
Make sure you have set 5 Ghz channel bandwidth to 160 Mhz only and set control channel to 40. Leave rest of the wifi settings to default. Apply and Reboot
This should enable 2.4 Gbps link speeds for Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Then test speeds again.

I hit 800-900 Mbps Wifi 6 speeds on my Intel AX210 when connected to a RT-AX88U (node). Since backhaul link is just 1 Gbps, that's the maximum.

Make sure you have set 5 Ghz channel bandwidth to 160 Mhz only and set control channel to 40. Leave rest of the wifi settings to default. Apply and Reboot
This should enable 2.4 Gbps link speeds for Galaxy S21 Ultra.

Then test speeds again.

I hit 800-900 Mbps Wifi 6 speeds on my Intel AX210 when connected to a RT-AX88U (node). Since backhaul link is just 1 Gbps, that's the maximum.

That really worked. I got 920/497 nice, thanks!

Last edited:
Dam...
That is the thing!

I will better explain.
In close range- 2m~ I get almost full speed- 870-920,
Ethernet gets me 920.
Once I get away about 5M- gets 6000-800.
I think the asus not reporting link speed fast enough.

Im running over 80Mhz/153.
That is the only way to get these speeds for me.
ASUS support claims it is OK, and devices are fighting over bandwidth (makes sense in 2AM when everybody sleeps, and 1 device actually in use )

My brother got S21, and he can't hit more than 600Mbps which is strange cause I think we have same wifi cards inside.

I am now testing on my S21 Ultra and almost every time it's around 900/496, max I hit was 921/497

My brother got S21, and he can't hit more than 600Mbps which is strange cause I think we have same wifi cards inside.

I am now testing on my S21 Ultra and almost every time it's around 900/496, max I hit was 921/497
I get these speeds when I close range to router.
When I get away a little bit, it gets lower and unstable.

What could it be? Ch BW?
But then I cannot get higher CH like I do now

So you are saying I won't be able to get 1Gbps over Wifi 6 ever ?
I was pointing more towards 9.6 Gbps speed, should have been more clear, on my s10 with 80 mhz wide channel I routinely get 700 to 800 Mbps, so 160 mhz wide channel should definitely give higher speeds.

I get these speeds when I close range to router.
When I get away a little bit, it gets lower and unstable.

What could it be? Ch BW?
But then I cannot get higher CH like I do now
How far do you go, before you start seeing these effects.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!