What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46065 (12th Jan 2022)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sanke1

ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46065
Security
- Fixed string format stacks vulnerability
- Fixed cross-site-scripting vulnerability
- Fixed informational vulnerability.
Thanks to Howard McGreehan.

-Fixed SQL injection vulnerability
-Fixed json file traversal vulnerability
-Fixed plc/port file traversal vulnerability
-Fixed stack overflow vulnerability
Thanks to HP of Cyber Kunlun Lab

-Fixed authenticated stored XSS vulnerability
Thanks to Luke Walker – SmartDCC

-Fixed LPD denial of service vulnerability
-Fixed cfgserver heap overflow vulnerability
-Fixed cfgserver denial of service vulnerability
Thanks to TianHe from BeFun Cyber Security Lab.

Added more ISP profile
Digi 1 - TM
Digi 2 - TIME
Digi 3 - Digi
Digi 4 - CTS
Digi 5 - ALLO
Digi 6 - SACOFA
Maxis - CTS
Maxis - SACOFA
Maxis - TNB/ALLO

Fixed AiMesh guest network issues.
Fixed DDNS issues where the WAN IP is IPv6
Fixed UI bugs in Administration --> feedback.
Fixed time zone error.
Improved the connection stability.

Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5:c36ea76c940fe585e9be95619ede57f1

Download Link

Great .... Downloading now.

Quick question:
Does this release open up additional channels (149 - 165) for UK customers?

In the UK - only Band A & B were made available, this was in line with the EU/UK rules.
Since mid 2020, the UK authorities have opened up Band C (channels 149-165) and this does not require DFS (only TPC).

There is some more discussion here...

So, quick question:
- Does this release include the additional channels?
- If not, any idea s to when this will be implemented?

Last edited:
Will give this a try this weekend on one of my APs to see if it addresses the TP-Link/Nest issues on 2.4GHz that have been reported on previous builds and the most recent Merlin build.

I just loaded it today and will report back if I experience anything worthy of mention.

I've dropped this on one of my APs that has only IOT stuff on it (Nest and TP-Link devices). Will see how this holds up after 24hrs. So far, seems to be OK stability wise with the devices. Not seeing the disconnects that were happening before.

EDIT: Man, I have not been on "stock" FW for a long, long, long time...

Last edited:
Dropping in here for a quick update - the difference has been night and day as far as stability of the Nest/TP-Link connections on the AP that I updated. Very happy to see this but not a fan of being back on Stock FW to be honest as I miss the added details provided in a number of locations even in AP mode. Hopefully the 2.4Ghz wifi stability issues addressed here make their way into Merlin's next major release. Until then, I'll be running a "Frankenstein" setup with Merlin on my main Router and the Asus stock FW on my APs. My reason for keeping Merlin on my Router is due to the heavy reliance on DNSfilter and VPN Director configurations in combination with my Pi-hole setup at home.

I noticed in the release notes it says 'Fixed AiMesh guest network issues.'

I've had issues with the AiMesh guest network on mesh nodes for the last 4 firmware updates. I have an AX88U as my main router and an AX92U as the mesh node. My guest network is configured to block access to the intranet if I updated the node beyond 386_43084 then devices would either not get an IP address or if they did they would have no Internet access, so they would drop off the mesh node and connect to the main router making it useless for extending the guest network.

I've upgraded the AX88U to this firmware then upgraded the AX92U mesh node to the current latest firmware (386_45934) and finally the guest network is now working correctly. Devices are connected and are issued with IPs and have internet access on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. So pleased to say this has finally fixed the issue I had been seeing and had reported to ASUS.

@gspannu, I live in the UK and I checked the wireless log and the maximum channel is still 140. You'll probably need to raise this with ASUS directly, I'm not sure how straightforward it would be for them to add UK support to their routers (I think the one I have was issued with an EU specific configuration).

@gspannu, I live in the UK and I checked the wireless log and the maximum channel is still 140. You'll probably need to raise this with ASUS directly, I'm not sure how straightforward it would be for them to add UK support to their routers (I think the one I have was issued with an EU specific configuration).
Thanks...
If I were to buy a new router, what is the best country to order a router from (i.e. that has all channels enabled).
I assume that ASUS have different SKU for different countries; would you know which region has everything unlocked?

I got my primary ET8 router upgrade to this non-beta build, but the node won't upgrade away from beta! First it gives me grief when asked to login. Then I wait a few minutes and I can get in (WTF?). I push this upgrade (same file I did primary node with), it says "Your firmware update has finished. Close this window and access your AiMesh router again." and.... the node router is still on beta v9.0.0.x build. A power cycle results in same issue, still beta. Why can't I push firmware to my node?!?!

I got my primary ET8 router upgrade to this non-beta build, but the node won't upgrade away from beta! First it gives me grief when asked to login. Then I wait a few minutes and I can get in (WTF?). I push this upgrade (same file I did primary node with), it says "Your firmware update has finished. Close this window and access your AiMesh router again." and.... the node router is still on beta v9.0.0.x build. A power cycle results in same issue, still beta. Why can't I push firmware to my node?!?!
Are you sure you got the right file?
This thread is about the "ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46065" which problably won't stick on your ET8...

Or have you tried the "ASUS ZenWiFi ET8 Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.46061" from a different thread? https://www.snbforums.com/threads/a...e-version-3-0-0-4-386-46061-2022-01-11.76741/

Not the same router nor the same firmware version

Best of luck

Last edited:
I noticed in the release notes it says 'Fixed AiMesh guest network issues.'

I've had issues with the AiMesh guest network on mesh nodes for the last 4 firmware updates. I have an AX88U as my main router and an AX92U as the mesh node. My guest network is configured to block access to the intranet if I updated the node beyond 386_43084 then devices would either not get an IP address or if they did they would have no Internet access, so they would drop off the mesh node and connect to the main router making it useless for extending the guest network.

I've upgraded the AX88U to this firmware then upgraded the AX92U mesh node to the current latest firmware (386_45934) and finally the guest network is now working correctly. Devices are connected and are issued with IPs and have internet access on both the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz bands. So pleased to say this has finally fixed the issue I had been seeing and had reported to ASUS.
Well, I spoke too soon. Although it appeared that the guest network was functioning correctly at first I soon found that guest clients had all moved back to the main router and when I tried to reconnect them they would always drop straight off the mesh node (even when the device was in the same room as it) and connect back to the main router.

ASUS released an updated firmware for the AX92U (386_46061), so I had a glimmer of hope that when combined with 386_46065 on the AX88U I would have a fully working guest network again, however after a upgrade/full reset and re-configure of the AiMesh network I found that on this latest firmware the guest network running in intranet isolation mode still wasn't accepting connections on the mesh node. This has been a problem with all the AX92U firmware after 386_43084, restoring back to this older firmware fixes the problem but it's odd that it's now been an issue for so long. Anyway, sorry for raising anyone's hopes on this threat that this issue had been fixed.

Sync'd up to GitHub repo. Both AX88u and AC86U are running fine. No problem with the AiMesh node and my NEST devices are running perfectly fine on 2.4gig channel.

1st time ever my RT-AX88U rebooted by itself randomly on this firmware. Happened in middle of Forza Horizon 5 Eliminator game. :mad: :p

i installed 46065.
so far so good.

i noticed that browser reponsetimes are much faster then before.

it is like dns lookups are much faster but i did not change any settings.
anybody else experiencing the same thing.

this is a good thing but if there are any settings to improve this i like to kno which settings affect this

update: i had some wifi instabilities
under wireless mode i disabled wifi 11b
now i can not enable it anymore.
whatever i do(click/unclick) and press apply.
the blue selected mark sticks with the 11b option

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!