What's new

ASUS ExpertWiFi EBR63 Firmware version 3.0.0.6.102_44544 - 2024/04/26

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jbennett360

Version 3.0.0.6.102_44544 - 2024/04/26

51.48 MB

Security
- Fixed command injection vulnerability.
- Fixed the ARP poisoning vulnerability. Thanks to the contribution of Xin'an Zhou.
- Fixed code execution in custom OVPN. Thanks to the contrubution of Jacob Baines.
- Fixed stack buffer overflow in lighttpd. Special thanks to Viktor Edstrom.
- Fixed CVE-2023-35720
- Fixed the XSS and Self-reflected HTML injection vulnerability. Thanks to the contrubution of Redfox Cyber Security.
- Fixed CVE-2024-1655 command injection vulnerability.

Feature:
- Icon display improvment on AiMesh page.
- Fixed stability issues.
- Fixed openvpn GUI issues.
- Fixed GUI issues on Dashboard.
- Fixed SDN canot be added properly
- Improve Samba stability and security with Tuxera fusion file share.

Does anyone around actually have first hand experience with this device?

It's an RT-AX58U V2 (BCM6756 with built-in 2x2 radios, 512MB RAM) in different clothes and running 3.0.0.6 firmware.

Improve Samba stability and security with Tuxera fusion file share.
That's more than just a minor "stability and security update" BTW. This is a kernel mode implementation of SMB developed by Tuxera, and it replaces Samba. That means adding things like SMB 3.1.1 support.

Does anyone around actually have first hand experience with this device?

It's an RT-AX58U V2 (BCM6756 with built-in 2x2 radios, 512MB RAM) in different clothes and running 3.0.0.6 firmware.

I have 2x of these running at my friends shop for the last 3 weeks. It is basically a RT-AX58U running 3.0.0.6 with a skin on top. I will say though that it did not like when I added a RT-AX58U v1 as a AiMesh node. Once I assigned 1 of the self-defined networks to the node, it caused constant reboots of the EBR63 if the RT-AX58U was powered on(didn't matter the type if network it was, Guest, IOT, etc). I replaced it for another EBR63 and that resolved that issue along with allowing me to add all 3 self-defined networks to the node compared with the RT-AX58U running 3.0.0.4, it was only allowing me to add 1 network to the node.

I will say this newer firmware did add a few things not listed, like iPerf, node transmit power management and WiFi Channel Planning

1714437827642.png
1714437776097.png

Last edited:
I will say though that it did not like when I added a RT-AX58U v1 as a AiMesh node.

This is expected to happen because non-ExpertWifi models don't have what is needed for VLAN based GN scenarios.

I would rather avoid the mix with "consumer" routers running 3.0.0.6 firmware. Seems like they don't have many of the new ExpertWifi series features.

I would rather avoid the mix with "consumer" routers running 3.0.0.6 firmware. Seems like they don't have many of the new ExpertWifi series features.

Asus did say ExpertWiFi should work with AiMesh consumer routers but that was not true in my case with multiple guest networks(I never tried this newer firmware with that config). It was probably more a 3.0.0.4/3.0.0.6 firmware difference issue vs a ExpertWiFi/non ExpertWiFi issue IMO. I wonder if anyone here has run 3.0.0.6 on their main router with multiple guest networks and a 3.0.0.4 AiMesh node and saw the crashing issue I experienced

Almost certainly due to incompatibility between 3.0.0.4 and 3.0.0.6.

Interesting. Most Amazon reviews on Amazon Canada are from people who received this router as a free product.

1714512643546.png

Asus did say ExpertWiFi should work with AiMesh consumer routers but that was not true in my case with multiple guest networks(I never tried this newer firmware with that config). It was probably more a 3.0.0.4/3.0.0.6 firmware difference issue vs a ExpertWiFi/non ExpertWiFi issue IMO. I wonder if anyone here has run 3.0.0.6 on their main router with multiple guest networks and a 3.0.0.4 AiMesh node and saw the crashing issue I experienced

Have EBG15. I have no issues with ac68u's as nodes.

Multiple VLAN = VLAN aware node (running 3.0.0.6). Currently that a handful of consumer routers and expertwifi products.

Do you like the EBR63? How is the range?

Have EBG15. I have no issues with ac68u's as nodes.

Multiple VLAN = VLAN aware node (running 3.0.0.6). Currently that a handful of consumer routers and expertwifi products.

Do you like the EBR63? How is the range?

Range seems fine, probably the same as the RT-AX58U. My friend had a Spectrum router, so anything range wise was better than that. I'm still waiting for 3.0.0.6 for my GT-AX11000 Pro to be able to compare ExpertWiFi vs stock, so hopefully that's not years away

Can anyone verify if there is an option to enable DDNS? I upgraded to firmware v3.0.0.6.102_44544 out of the box. The device was factory reset multiple times before resorting to ASUS support. Still waiting for a reasonable response from their L2 techs.

ddns2.png

It is working here. Have you tried flashing the 32645 firmware to see if the issue is present there too? Mine was set up on that version and then upgrade to this version when it was released

1715345951141.png

Thank you. Downgrading to v32645 does provide the option to enable DDNS. Before I enable the feature, which apparently survives the v44544 upgrade, I would like to attempt a different solution. Is there a command to enable DDNS via SSH? Just curious if there is a more efficient approach for anyone already on v44544 facing this issue.

Disregard the 'Private IP' message, as I did not have my WAN cable connected.

ddns_32645.png

UPDATE: Firmware v32645 will enable the switch to activate DDNS, but once the host name is submitted the feature will be turned off and there is no way to keep DDNS active. DDNS only works correctly in v31931. However, upgrading from any previous firmware to v4454 after DDNS was enabled and configured will function normally.

Last edited:
I started with 32645 and it worked fine for me for the 2 weeks I ran it before this new firmware was released. I did have other issues with 32645 like WPS reported being active even though it was disabled and some other minor things but no DDNS issue. Unfortunately I can't play with my friends router to confirm your issue, so you may have to wait for Asus to respond unless someone else here can verify your issue

Last edited:
I started with 32645 and it worked fine for me for the 2 weeks I ran it before this new firmware was released. I did have other issues with 32645 like WPS reported being active even though it was disabled and some other minor things but no DDNS issue. Unfortunately I can't play with my friends router to confirm your issue, so you may have to wait for Asus to respond unless someone else here can verify your issue
I experienced the same problem with WPS on v32645. Everything seems fine after the downgrades and subsequent upgrade, but hopefully ASUS has enough information to resolve these issues in the next release.

UPDATE: ASUS acknowledged the issue and provided beta firmware to address the problem until the next official release.

Last edited:

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!