What's new

Asus RT-AX88U packet drops

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Arny

New Around Here
Hello

I am seeing the following issue with my brand new Asus RT-AX88U router

When I connect my laptop to Ethernet port, my connection drops intermittently - for couple of seconds. This results in my video calls freezing and then getting back to normal. On further investigation I found that this happens only for the uplink traffic - downlink traffic does not seem to be affected. I notice that the problem seems to happen much more frequently when my 4 TB USB drive is connected - the drive being formatted as Ext3.

I can reproduce this problem on 2 separate computers, with 2 separate cables - so I have ruled out my computer/setup.

This problem happens much less frequently if I am connected instead with my 5 GHz Wifi network

QoS is turned off and I have a 200/10 WAN connection, but the problem also happens when I turn on Qos

I am using Merlin 384.19 but the problem also happens with stock 3.0.0.4.384.9566 firmware as well.

Are there any utilities/scripts that can be turned on to debug this issue ?

Otherwise I like the router due to Merlin and Ax support and the added range on 5GHz which was the main reason for my upgrade - though I can still return in.

Thank you

Arny

Welcome to the forums. :)

Jumping back and forth from stock Asus to RMerlin firmware (normally) requires a full reset to factory defaults and followed by a minimal and manual configuration (see the M&M Config guide in the link in my signature below).

More than likely, your attached 4TB USB drive is also a cause of your issues too.

The issues you are reporting are not normal or common. I would perform an M&M Config and use the recommended defaults while introducing any changes one at a time into your network to identify what is the root cause. With the M&M Config performed fully, you may find there are no more symptoms afterward too.

Thank you for the advice. I have tried out M&M config.

A question about the M&M config - which I did today. Can I get back to the old SSIDs that were being used by all the devices ?

Also, it already seems to me that the 4TB hard drive is causing issues. What are the next steps - especially since I can't see anything else wrong with the hard drive

Some steps with the HDD you can try are checking it for errors on a PC. Formatting it to Ext4. Or ideally, just getting a true NAS. You can also try using it in USB 2.0 mode too as a test.

The idea of a new SSID is presented by RMerlin in the link here. Thank you @thiggins for the exponentially improved advanced search!

You can use the old SSIDs, but ideally, you will want to 'forget' them on each client device and then re-associate each device too. Easier to just use new SSIDs. :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!