What's new

Asus RT-AX88U Pro reboot

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jinroh

Occasional Visitor
I've had a brand-new RT-AX88U Pro for 2 weeks now.
I'm quite happy, configured as I like behind a box (livebox).
On the other hand, it regularly reboots.
I can't really say how often. It can stay UP for 2-3 days, or reboot 3 times a day, like today.

I'm trying to read the log, but it's not very clear :(:(
Would you have any clues about things to look for in it, temperatures or anything else?

I use the last stable Merlin 3004.388.4_0 but i think it's same with official one.

Thanks for your help.

What else is running on this router? Custom Scripts? USB attached storage? With no information no one can help you.

After flashing RMerlin firmware on it, did you do a full reset to factory defaults?

Did you set it up with a minimal and manual configuration, to connect to your ISP and secure the router?

Have you plugged any USB drives into it? Particularly, USB drives that were previously used for amtm/scripts?

Did you use an old backup config file to configure the router?

What are your ISP speeds, up/down?

I'm trying to read the log, but it's not very clear

Post the system log before May 5 date change. Someone else may be able to read what's there.

Not reset after upgrade.
Is it ok for doing this from menu or is have to be manual ?
1700414091920.png

It's simply configured as "Wireless router mode / AiMesh Router mode (Default)"

I'm in France with Orange LiveBox. it's a 1 Go fiber.

Full log is attached.
I see multiple time this date off "5 May", is it special lines while rebooting ?

Attachments

• syslog - 2023.11.19.txt
    467.8 KB · Views: 14
Juste to be sure...
All lines like this are Input attempt or out from my LAN ??
Nov 19 18:21:42 kernel: DROP IN=eth0 OUT= MAC=08:bf:b8:8f:1e:a8:7c:c1:77:6b:37:60:08:00 SRC=89.22.151.11 DST=192.168.1.100 LEN=40 TOS=0x00 PREC=0x00 TTL=242 ID=59252 PROTO=TCP SPT=46025 DPT=445 SEQ=4026931437 ACK=0 WINDOW=1024 RES=0x00 SYN URGP=0 MARK=0x8000000

Okay, if you haven't done a full reset after flashing the RMerlin firmware on it, then you need to do so now.

Via the GUI, be sure you also check the box that says 'Initialize all settings...' too, before hitting the Restore button.

If the reset doesn't work properly (you'll know because your issues will keep happening), then try the recommended WPS button reset method for your model in the link below.

Before you do the above, you are simply on a wild goose chase and no amount of troubleshooting will be worth your while until you do the above and get the router to a good/known state first.

Ok.
After made a config backup, i will try the standard GUI method, then the reset button, and then the WPS if not working about reboot problem.
On all this attempt, I just restore the config backup.

After all this, i will come back herer and post the log.

EDIT : I can't use backup and have to do all the config again ? :oops:

EDIT : I can't use backup and have to do all the config again ?

On firmware change 3.0.0.4 to 3.0.0.6 or stock Asuswrt to Asuswrt-Merlin do once WPS reset and configure manually after. This is what most folks around will recommend you to do. Otherwise it's unknown what your configuration files contain and you perhaps are only porting the issues over. Good luck.

If you create a backup of a borked installation, you will only (most likely) restore the borked settings again after you do a full reset. Negating the reset you just did.

Only do a minimal and manual configuration. Testing each change you're making, and making sure you're keeping good notes as you go.

On firmware change 3.0.0.4 to 3.0.0.6 or stock Asuswrt to Asuswrt-Merlin do once WPS reset and configure manually after. This is what most folks around will recommend you to do. Otherwise it's unknown what your configuration files contain and you perhaps are only porting the issues over. Good luck.
Okay, understood.
I'll test it.

For confirmation, lines at " 5 may", are when rebooting ?
To identify the number of reboots ;)

Yes, the May 5th lines are before the router has fully rebooted and connected to a time server.

I see multiple time this date off "5 May", is it special lines while rebooting ?
There is no separate battery-powered clock in these devices. Whenever the unit powers up the "5 May ..." (in this case) is a hard-coded time to which the (now-running) clock is set. Once the unit can connect to a time server the clock gets set to actual time.

Whatever may have been logged just prior to the "default" time is what's of interest.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!