What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX88U Version 3.0.0.4.386.49674 (2022/07/14)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Zastoff

Very Senior Member
ASUS RT-AX88U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.49674
1. Fixed CVE-2022-26376
2. Improved system stability
3. Supported Safe Browsing in the router app to filter explicit content from search results. You can set it in the router app --> Devices or Family.

Download link:
Please unzip the firmware file first then check the MD5 code.
MD5: 6f4a85e10c56e2fc0021001ae723bb04

Last edited:
I see it too. But router Administration > Firmware Upgrade > Check update shows that 386_48631 is still the current version. Apparently, it has not been pushed out yet. Asus download servers will probably catch up tomorrow.
Think I will wait a day to be sure there isn't a sudden Asus change or withdrawal.

Last edited:
Any observed issues?
Too soon to tell but nothing as of yet. I really wanted to see if it made any difference with wireless on my government laptop as its always the one device that can't stay connected while everything else in the house does.

Apparently, it has not been pushed out yet. Asus download servers will probably catch up tomorrow.
Asus does not always push updates to 100% of users at once, they tend to gradually stage the rollouts. Similar to what mobile carriers do with smartphone updates.

Installed... Let's see how it goes. Previous firmware had a tendency to lock up randomly.

Sadly overnight the first thing it does is drop my government laptop but to be fair everybody I know has the same problem when using wireless so I attribute it to the vpn and not the router. My personal HP laptop has the very same wifi card and it can stay connected without issue.

Sadly overnight the first thing it does is drop my government laptop but to be fair everybody I know has the same problem when using wireless so I attribute it to the vpn and not the router. My personal HP laptop has the very same wifi card and it can stay connected without issue.
Can you try to update wifi drivers?

Sadly overnight the first thing it does is drop my government laptop but to be fair everybody I know has the same problem when using wireless so I attribute it to the vpn and not the router.
Is your laptop on DHCP? or set to a Static IP (on router and/or laptop)?
And if DHCP, what is your lease time set to?

Loaded 49674 this morning without incident. No observed issues thus far.

FWIW, my AX88U settings file for FW 48631 had 3222 records. FW 49674 now has 3267.

FW 49674 removed (12) fields that were in 48631:
Code:
cfg_check
cfg_fwstatus
radar_detected
radar_detected_count
radar_detected_if
webs_state_upgrade
wl0_sel_bw
wl0_sel_channel
wl0_sel_nctrlsb
wl1_sel_bw
wl1_sel_channel
wl1_sel_nctrlsb

FW 49674 added (57) new records fields:
Code:
ab+C3:C20l_eid
acs_unii4
ddns_ipv6_update
ig_client_list
obvif_cap_subunit
obvif_re_subunit
wait_httpd
wan0_gw_mac
wl_acs_excl_chans_dfs_2
wl_bsscolor
wl0.4_gn_wbl_enable
wl0.4_gn_wbl_rule
wl0.4_gn_wbl_type
wl0.5_akm
wl0.5_auth
wl0.5_auth_mode
wl0.5_maclist
wl0.5_macmode
wl0.5_preauth
wl0.5_wep
wl0.6_akm
wl0.6_auth
wl0.6_auth_mode
wl0.6_maclist
wl0.6_macmode
wl0.6_preauth
wl0.6_wep
wl0.7_akm
wl0.7_auth
wl0.7_auth_mode
wl0.7_maclist
wl0.7_macmode
wl0.7_preauth
wl0.7_wep
wl0_bsscolor
wl1.5_akm
wl1.5_auth
wl1.5_auth_mode
wl1.5_maclist
wl1.5_macmode
wl1.5_preauth
wl1.5_wep
wl1.6_akm
wl1.6_auth
wl1.6_auth_mode
wl1.6_maclist
wl1.6_macmode
wl1.6_preauth
wl1.6_wep
wl1.7_akm
wl1.7_auth
wl1.7_auth_mode
wl1.7_maclist
wl1.7_macmode
wl1.7_preauth
wl1.7_wep
wl1_bsscolor

After abut 5 minutes, I performed a power cycle. After the power cycle, FW 49674 added one new record:
Code:
webs_state_upgrade

Last edited:
Please use code or spoiler boxes for such long lists. :)

Over the last few months, the forum has lit up with AX88U problem threads, so I'm curious to see if this update resolves some of those issues. It installed on my units last night, and everything seems fine this morning. But, I was also having no issues with the previous firmware.

Can you try to update wifi drivers?
As it belongs to the federal government it is administratively controlled therefore any and all updates are pushed by the agency IT department leaving the user at their mercy.

Been running this FW for about a day now and so far so good. The last version (3.0.0.4.386.48631) kept crashing and disconnecting all wifi clients every few hours, so hoping this one fixed that issue.

As it belongs to the federal government it is administratively controlled therefore any and all updates are pushed by the agency IT department leaving the user at their mercy.
I traveled for years with a government laptop. As I was deploying software I was able to control the OS on that laptop and was responsible for updates and security. Then, along came a low bid contractor who took over all the service IT and we all got new laptops. Those had "improved" security with hard drives that failed regularly and cell modems that would not connect. I hid the old laptop and continued to use it to work-from-home and travel until I retired. That is years in the past but I hear things are not much better today.

I traveled for years with a government laptop. As I was deploying software I was able to control the OS on that laptop and was responsible for updates and security. Then, along came a low bid contractor who took over all the service IT and we all got new laptops. Those had "improved" security with hard drives that failed regularly and cell modems that would not connect. I hid the old laptop and continued to use it to work-from-home and travel until I retired. That is years in the past but I hear things are not much better today.
I'm an information systems coordinator (my primary job is HR) for my agency and I'm very limited in what I can do. The Navy has contracted NMCI which administrates all computers on their network. At least we were able to get new laptops recently which helped us out immensely unless you enjoy teleworking hauling around a desktop and fortunately they are equipped with hynix ssd's. I keep advising people to store their work on the network drive so they don't lose it when their local drive fails as our hd's were the cheapest of the cheap. Many of the so called new replacement drives failed within a month so the move to ssd is a welcome one not to mention the speed difference.

The security software is laughable as the McAfee core engine hasn't updated in years so it keeps on rolling over all of the flaws that were fixed since that time. We get that software for free to use on our personal machines and some people do but being limited to IPv4 isn't my cup of tea. The new machines are still running W10 20H2 enterprise and the ACTR swears that they're going to update them W11 soon. I look at it like UFO's and the easter bunny...I'll believe it when I see it.

As for installing software a person must have administrative x access to do anything to one of their computers and if it isn't something that I can fix then the user has to call them. RAS tools controls the network connection so its responsible for dropping the wireless network connection to the router. I was just hoping that it would behave better with the new firmware but alas it does what it does. Every month when we get close to the DFAS cutoffs the network turns stupid and some systems stop working altogether just when we need them the most. So to sum it up you heard right.

I'm an information systems coordinator (my primary job is HR) for my agency and I'm very limited in what I can do. The Navy has contracted NMCI which administrates all computers on their network. At least we were able to get new laptops recently which helped us out immensely unless you enjoy teleworking hauling around a desktop and fortunately they are equipped with hynix ssd's. I keep advising people to store their work on the network drive so they don't lose it when their local drive fails as our hd's were the cheapest of the cheap. Many of the so called new replacement drives failed within a month so the move to ssd is a welcome one not to mention the speed difference.

The security software is laughable as the McAfee core engine hasn't updated in years so it keeps on rolling over all of the flaws that were fixed since that time. We get that software for free to use on our personal machines and some people do but being limited to IPv4 isn't my cup of tea. The new machines are still running W10 20H2 enterprise and the ACTR swears that they're going to update them W11 soon. I look at it like UFO's and the easter bunny...I'll believe it when I see it.

As for installing software a person must have administrative x access to do anything to one of their computers and if it isn't something that I can fix then the user has to call them. RAS tools controls the network connection so its responsible for dropping the wireless network connection to the router. I was just hoping that it would behave better with the new firmware but alas it does what it does. Every month when we get close to the DFAS cutoffs the network turns stupid and some systems stop working altogether just when we need them the most. So to sum it up you heard right.
NMCI was the low bid contract I was referring to. I tried to warn our management that things would go downhill and the admiral would have nothing of it Everything was going swell! There are other stories that were almost failures but they kept throwing money at them until they worked...almost. Still was hard to explain to a captain of a ship that we lost the spare parts he needs. They were in a warehouse, somewhere but the inventory program wasn't made for the way the Navy moved stock around. We were also forced to use Internet Explorer which s*****. Figured out how to run Firefox from a thumb drive install until it was detected as the Firefox virus. Guess there were others besides me trying to make life easier...

NMCI can't keep their subcontractors so the companies doing the work keep changing. The way its setup now if you attach any external drive you will be immediately quarantined from the network and have to undergo counseling under the threat of disciplinary action, training and reapply for access to all the systems. IE was supposed to be purged last month but its still present on our machines. Late last year I wrote the instructions for our people on how to configure Edge to use IE compatibility mode to access the sites that need it but subsequent updates have precluded the need to do that.

Some genius decided to replace the HP repository with DON tracker last year and it still doesn't work right but they cut off the main repo anyway. And while all of this is going on the hospital system is moving to NMCI. We had to put their new laptops on our connections to help them update since the hospital hasn't been completed yet. Then last year the Navy cut most of our people and now they are scrambling to rehire after pay problems are affecting the fleet and impacting morale. Yeppers the more things change the more they stay the same.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!