What's new

ASUS RT-AX89X AX6000 Custom firmware

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

This is a real shame. I was hoping it would be eventually supported. It is a very good router so far. 10Gb ports, both in rj45 and fiber, 8x 1Gb ports, wifi 6, usb 3.2. Has been rock solid for the last couple months connected via fiber to my qnap qsw-m1208-8c 10Gb managed switch, and the rest of the house running back to that. Wifi also been flawless covering my 600sq block. Do miss the polish that your firmware brought to my old 87u's, and 68u's, an 66n before that (i think it was) though. I'd install in a heartbeat if you changed your mind about supporting this fantastic product in the future. All the best!

Hello there where i can download Custom firmware for ASUS RT-AX89X AX6000 :)

Thanks
isn't the RT-AX6000 the same as the RTAX88U? NVM you are talking about the RT-AX89X. Even Asus is late on releasing firmware on the RT-AX89X.

they haven't even released a beta support for it yet.

Last edited:
I just wanted to say that I am using the AX6000 aka AX89X along with my GT-AX11000 for mesh networking and it's awesome. I run a 2.5G backhaul :)

I hope that Merlin can support the 89X someday - I'd love to switch to this, as I had great luck with Merlin firmwares in the past. If you need a tester, feel free to reach out to me.

If I may, is there a specific reason why you don't want to support it ?
I currently have a GT-AC5300 and wanted to upgrade to Wif6 so I bought one. My main problem with all other Asus routers is the lack of LAN ports. I really need those 8 ports.

Anyway, thanks a lot for the great work and worst case I'll stick with the official FW :/

If I may, is there a specific reason why you don't want to support it ?
Main reason is I only work on Broadcom platforms. I don't have the time or resources to also support Qualcomm devices.

Oh thanks, I had not noticed that big difference between my current GT-AC5300 and my soon to come RT-AX89X :-(

Just a heads up on routers with 8 ports...

If you begin seeing strange/unexplainable issues on the network and you're using Ports 5-8, that could be the reason. Many issues were reported of such use.

The main reason is that in the router, it is not a single 8 Port switch. It is more like 2x 4 Port (5 Port?) switches instead. Not a very stable setup.

I would suggest you don't limit yourself to 8 Port routers and simply consider using an external switch or two (they begin at $10 to $20 for a 5 Port or 8 Port models). And then connecting them to only the Ports 1-4.

Thanks for the advice. The reason I prefer using 'native' ports is that I don't want to share the port bandwidth of a single port on the router among multiple devices. I wouldn't mind if they were 10Gb but it's not the case.

Maybe I'm being too conservative :/

Just a heads up on routers with 8 ports...

If you begin seeing strange/unexplainable issues on the network and you're using Ports 5-8, that could be the reason. Many issues were reported of such use.
I got some unexplainable issues and hear the first time that it can be from the extended network Ports, do you have a source about or tell me if it can spread the issues to my wifi clients too?
Thx

Yes, the issues can manifest themselves beyond the ports. The 'source' is the people reporting in these forums (I have read every post ever posted).