What's new

Release ASUS RT-AX89X Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386.47468 (2022/10/18)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I put a ticket in for my RT-AX89X and they want to RMA it but they say they don't have any to ship me. So they are asking me if I want a "comparable" unit. Honestly though I don't know of an ASUS product that is "comparable" to this router. Can any of you think of any that has dual 10gb? So far I can't find one.

I put a ticket in for my RT-AX89X and they want to RMA it but they say they don't have any to ship me. So they are asking me if I want a "comparable" unit. Honestly though I don't know of an ASUS product that is "comparable" to this router. Can any of you think of any that has dual 10gb? So far I can't find one.
GT-AXE16000 is dual 10 Gbps, but not SFP+.

GT-AXE16000 is dual 10 Gbps, but not SFP+.

Ok, I can definitely deal with not having an SFP+ since I have a multi-gig switch with SFP+ ports. I wonder if they will let me jump to that. Guess if they would give me the option I'd even pay the difference if I have to.

Thank you very much for your quick response!

It’s been an interesting day, after 9 days operation my 2 unit RT AX89X Mesg wifi suddenly went out, the wired devices seemed to be working correctly
I verified that the situation with Apple Airport WiFi scan
After power cycling the whole system the system came up, but the 5GHz on the mesh Node was not detectable verified as the Apple Airport WiFi the 5GHz wifi LED was on but not blinking
After again power cycling both units the system came up, but the whole thing is running slowly
I sent feedback after both Incidents so hopefully ASUS has the data

I was contemplating switching to a Nest WiFi Pro system, but reviews and my sons feedback make this a none option
So I will factory reset both devices and set them up from scratch as going back to the last release was only marginally better than the current release

if this isn’t any better then I have a hard decision to make, as I can’t throwing money at the problem.

Any thoughts on a commercial grade product?

I have been given some very strong recommendations for a UniFi Dream Machine Pro/Pro SE with 3 Wifi Access points, which will allow me to use one of the RT AX89X’s as a pure switch with the WiFI transmitters disabled. The $700 cost is the same as the ASUS GT AX16000 which might require a Mesh node to get the coverage

Any thoughts

It’s been an interesting day, after 9 days operation my 2 unit RT AX89X Mesg wifi suddenly went out, the wired devices seemed to be working correctly
I verified that the situation with Apple Airport WiFi scan
After power cycling the whole system the system came up, but the 5GHz on the mesh Node was not detectable verified as the Apple Airport WiFi the 5GHz wifi LED was on but not blinking
After again power cycling both units the system came up, but the whole thing is running slowly
I sent feedback after both Incidents so hopefully ASUS has the data

I was contemplating switching to a Nest WiFi Pro system, but reviews and my sons feedback make this a none option
So I will factory reset both devices and set them up from scratch as going back to the last release was only marginally better than the current release

if this isn’t any better then I have a hard decision to make, as I can’t throwing money at the problem.

Any thoughts on a commercial grade product?

I have been given some very strong recommendations for a UniFi Dream Machine Pro/Pro SE with 3 Wifi Access points, which will allow me to use one of the RT AX89X’s as a pure switch with the WiFI transmitters disabled. The $700 cost is the same as the ASUS GT AX16000 which might require a Mesh node to get the coverage

Any thoughts
I've been looking for a wired enterprise router that can handle 10G broadband without severely throttling my ethernet speeds and the Draytek Vigor 3910 came to my attention. It costs a bit more than the AXE16000 though.

Tech radar reviewed it.

And there's some mention of it in this thread.

I've been looking for a wired enterprise router that can handle 10G broadband without severely throttling my ethernet speeds and the Draytek Vigor 3910 came to my attention. It costs a bit more than the AXE16000 though.
Before I switched to Asus, I used DrayTek routers exclusively. In my experience, they're solid and full-featured. They just took forever to move beyond 802.11n for some reason.

Before I switched to Asus, I used DrayTek routers exclusively. In my experience, they're solid and full-featured. They just took forever to move beyond 802.11n for some reason.

And they're kind of hard to come by these days. Seems they're more focused on the European markets these days...

Sometime during the night my AX89X locked up completely. That's the second time this has happened on this firmware. The previous instance was a few weeks ago. Had to perform a physical reboot to restore operation.

As said before, same problem for me with this firmware. Rollback to previous one, and no problem since.

Sometime during the night my AX89X locked up completely. That's the second time this has happened on this firmware. The previous instance was a few weeks ago. Had to perform a physical reboot to restore operation.
Happens at least monthly since I bought it a year ago. I'm trying beta firmware now and see if it's more stable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!