What's new

Asus RT-N16 & OpenVpn Client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pijat

Occasional Visitor
Hello,
I new here. I found this great custom firmware for my router. Before this i'm using dd-wrt for custom fw to use openvpn client. But dd-wrt not support my 4g usb dongle for internet connection(wan). I'm found this Asuswrt-Merlin can support my 4g usb dongle, unfortunately it don't have openvpn client setting(RT-N16_3.0.0.4_354.29-BETA1-dwrp). Anyone can guide me how to enable openvpn client for me to easy setup my proxpn vpn in my Asus RT-N16 router?Are this Asuswrt-Merlin fw have web gui for openvpn client setup like dd-wrt? Why firmware Asuswrt-Merlin for ASUS RT-N66U have support openvpn client but not for Asus RT-N16?Thank

Last edited:
There is no support for OpenVPN with the RT-N16 because it only has 32 KB of nvram - not enough space left to store certificates.

There is no support for OpenVPN with the RT-N16 because it only has 32 KB of nvram - not enough space left to store certificates.

But why dd-wrt have this setting? Other alternative to add openvpn client to this fw?

But why dd-wrt have this setting? Other alternative to add openvpn client to this fw?

Probably because DD-WRT does not store certificates in nvram, or it has more space left to store them.

The alternative is to manually install and configure it through Optware/Entware.

Probably because DD-WRT does not store certificates in nvram, or it has more space left to store them.

The alternative is to manually install and configure it through Optware/Entware.

Alright.. Thank you sir. Your custom fw is so great. I will find tutor for install entware(probably i'm not expert in linux):eek: .

Actually it does by default and have same limitation eq not enough space. (you could barely fit those, if you dont have any complex config on other stuff)

I did ran OpenVPN server on RT-N16 with DD-WRT and it worked out pretty well.
It doesnt have enough NVRAM indeed, to store certs in there, but you could use workaround...

Basically you store all your certificates on jffs and add neccesary paths (config lines) into additional config field.
Leave all boxes which are actually meant for certs, just blank and just use Custom configuration box.

Dont know can it be done on Merlin`s build of Asus-WRT but it should be theoretically possible until OpenVPN itself is present in hes Builds.

Cannot test it myself as I sold my RT-N16 and replaced with RT-N66U.

You could use this as reference: http://www.coertvonk.com/technology/networking/dd-wrt-and-openvpn-5591

Last edited:
Actually it does by default and have same limitation eq not enough space. (you could barely fit those, if you dont have any complex config on other stuff)

I did ran OpenVPN server on RT-N16 with DD-WRT and it worked out pretty well.
It doesnt have enough NVRAM indeed, to store certs in there, but you could use workaround...

Basically you store all your certificates on jffs and add neccesary paths (config lines) into additional config field.
Leave all boxes which are actually meant for certs, just blank and just use Custom configuration box.

Dont know can it be done on Merlin`s build of Asus-WRT but it should be theoretically possible until OpenVPN itself is present in hes Builds.

Cannot test it myself as I sold my RT-N16 and replaced with RT-N66U.

You could use this as reference: http://www.coertvonk.com/technology/networking/dd-wrt-and-openvpn-5591

In theory that should work.....
i noticed while snooping around my Rt-AC66U running merlin Using WinSCP that the router seems to create the actual certificate and key files but its in RAM then saved to NVRAM in normal use on the 64k nvram routers... What you might be able to do is to put your key and certificate files onto a USB flash drive or USB HDD and have that mounted on the router then either Sym link the files or Have your config files folder Mount to the directory the router has in ram, either way in theory should let you get around the 32k nvram limit....

i have OpenVPN scripts on my USB hdd that i have set at a static mountpoint of "sda1" and in my configs i just tell it where to look when needed....

Merlin is it possible to do a symlink for each required file (hard or soft) and get it to persist across reboots and power cycles?

Static custom Mounts DO WORK, thats what i did to ensure paths stay correct

Hello,
I already install Entware in my RT-N16. But i confuse, which one package should i install for setting my vpn client? I see in Entware have more than one about vpn. Which one it easy to setup & how to setup(any tutorial,etc?). Are they have vpn client support webui like ddwrt,tomato? similiar like tomatovpn? Thank