What's new

Asus RT N16 usb storage

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

arghiustelutu

New Around Here
Hello, I have attached to my Asus RT N16 router an usb storage. I've made all the settings on the router settings but the storage can not be visible on my Windows 10 laptop. Please see atached photos.
My target is to acces usb storage attached to my router from pc and from outside the network.

Regards

Attachments

• Gallery_1672389924068.JPG
    Gallery_1672389924068.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 70
  • Gallery_1672389966160.JPG
    Gallery_1672389966160.JPG
    87.2 KB · Views: 69
  • Gallery_1672390003719.JPG
    Gallery_1672390003719.JPG
    98.1 KB · Views: 70
The RT-N16 is an obsolete unsupported router. It hasn't had any security updates for over five years. The firmware has known vulnerabilities that have been actively exploited. If you want to have remote access of any sort I suggest you replace it with a currently supported router.

Again, because the router is so old it doesn't support SMBv2 used by Windows 10. You can try enabling SMBv1 support in Windows as a workaround.

This router is supported by a number of alternative firmwares including dd-wrt, fresh tomato, AsusWRT John's fork -all of them with caveats about the security of the wireless drivers. If you do not use the wireless part of it ( which is advised) AND IF you have (good) experience with Linux ( or willing to experiment and learn) - you will get the best and up-to-date support for Samba sharing from OpenWRT.
More here: