What's new

Asus RT-N56U Reviewed

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

QoS is disabled.

The problems described by the users in this thread appear to be the same or related:
http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?...Language=en-us

Was curious if the processor was bottle-necked with the I/O load. However, looking at those entries on the forums makes me speculate that it may have something to to with how the networks are set up and DNS Relay that is enabled on the router by default. Personally, I wish there was a way to disable it because it can cause a lot of problem like this. I think leaving the router at the default optimal/nominal config and then placing entries in the fields (or field) for DNS would be the best option for now. Tell they find this issue, because this is not the first issue with DNS and WAN disconnects.

Last edited:
However, looking at those entries on the forums makes me speculate that it may have something to to with how the networks are set up and DNS Relay that is enabled on the router by default. Personally, I wish there was a way to disable it because it can cause a lot of problem like this. I think leaving the router at the default optimal/nominal config and then placing entries in the fields (or filed) for DNS would be the best option for now. Tell they find this issue, because this is not the first issue with DNS and WAN disconnects.

I think the reason why 1.0.1.4o works for me (still working after more than a week) is that the router passes its IP address together with the ISP's DNS IP addresses to its clients as DNS's. If the router's DNS relay fails, a client can still use the ISP's DNS. With 1.0.1.7c, only the router's address is given to its clients as the only DNS.

I think the reason why 1.0.1.4o works for me (still working after more than a week) is that the router passes its IP address together with the ISP's DNS IP addresses to its clients as DNS's. If the router's DNS relay fails, a client can still use the ISP's DNS. With 1.0.1.7c, only the router's address is given to its clients as the only DNS.

With DNS Relay you are always using the ISP's DNS, or configured DNS's. If the entry is cached for another read then request does not need to leave the router, obviously. With a small office or home using the network this may seem beneficial, but a host system does caching for lookups anyways. It is so redundant that it is nothing wasteful usage of memory and CPU cycles of the router. Matter of fact it can obviously be faster for the host system and not the router to handle the lookups.

For some reason though there is an issue with the lookups that will cause a T/O with DNS Relay. I do not know if it has to do with security within the network that is provoked, unsupported DNS "anythings" that can take place, , et al but I do know that for years I have seen this problem with DNS Relay. Funny thing is, it may not be the problem, and I also have yet to have a problem using it. Even my roommate has not to reported one to me. But I would argue that I do not come close to the amount of network usage you possibly do.

Last edited:
after years of frustration with wireless signal through the house, finally decided to splurge on a 2nd unit and setup WDS, problem solved. Tried Powerline 500 Mbps units prior to that and it was disappointing.

1.0.1.7f seems to have a problem with Network share not showing up in Windows. I have to reapply it in the GUI to get it started. This did not happen in previous builds. Anyone notice this?

after years of frustration with wireless signal through the house, finally decided to splurge on a 2nd unit and setup WDS, problem solved. Tried Powerline 500 Mbps units prior to that and it was disappointing.

Powerline adaptors can be a bit of a test at first. My friends house may have one outlet perform less or not at all. But when it does it does well, actually.

1.0.1.7f seems to have a problem with Network share not showing up in Windows. I have to reapply it in the GUI to get it started. This did not happen in previous builds. Anyone notice this?

Can you describe your issue a little more? So, I can then test it out to confirm your issue. Just to note though, the "share" shows for me with this firmware using Explorer without issue. I can go to the RT-N56U in within Network menu. Is this what you mean by "not showing up in Windows"?

Can you describe your issue a little more? So, I can then test it out to confirm your issue. Just to note though, the "share" shows for me with this firmware using Explorer without issue. I can go to the RT-N56U in within Network menu. Is this what you mean by "not showing up in Windows"?

Yes. I meant Windows Explorer in Network > View Computers and Devices. In past firmwares, my share appeared automatically on start up. In the newest firmware, I have to disable in GUI and then re-enable. After that, all is OK and it appears in windows.

It's a minor hassle. Interestingly, media server and itunes server run OK on start-up. I have FTP disabled.

In past firmwares, my share appeared automatically on start up

It still does for me. But I did notice that it has new files that are located in root when compared to previous firmwares. Perhaps, a format and then a run of the AiDisk utility will clear it up? It may have also not have been a problem for me due to the fact that I formatted the drive and ran the utility again.

I only notice it being slower than previous for me. I recall getting 17MB/s and 22MB/s for my little tests before. Now, it is 10MB/s to 12MB/s.

Taedan, do you stream over the Internet or just network for the iTunes server?

It still does for me. But I did notice that it has new files that are located in root when compared to previous firmwares. Perhaps, a format and then a run of the AiDisk utility will clear it up? It may have also not have been a problem for me due to the fact that I formatted the drive and ran the utility again.

I only notice it being slower than previous for me. I recall getting 17MB/s and 22MB/s for my little tests before. Now, it is 10MB/s to 12MB/s.

Taedan, do you stream over the Internet or just network for the iTunes server?

Thanks. I will try the Aidisk utility, even though I don't need access to the HDD outside my home network.

No, I don't stream over the Internet, but I do stream movies/videos in the drive to my PS3. That has been choppy for movies even with previous firmwares (home videos are ok). I can live with that.

VPN DOEs work

Using latest firmware - 1.0.1.7f - but it also worked on the version previous to this. On Advanced Setting / WAN / NAT Passthrough tab. Enable IPSec Passsthrough and/or L2TP Passthrough (try one at a time unless you know what your VPN client uses). This also turns off the Hardware NAT (check System Log / Port Forwarding). This possibly reduces speed with the hardware NAT turned off, but the VPN does work.

Download Master in Mac OSX

hey guys, is there any way to use the benefits of all-day downloads from a mac? cause Download Master is only for windows am i right?

hey guys, is there any way to use the benefits of all-day downloads from a mac? cause Download Master is only for windows am i right?

Run your choice of virtual software e.g. Parallels; it may work this way. Basically, the router world is Mac unfriendly, but that is starting to change soon.

Hi everyone and merry Christmas (I'm late, I know!).
I come from Italy and I bought this router yesterday, but I wasted all the Christmas day trying to get this router to work.
Here's my situation: I have a modem connected to the Internet (provided to me by Fastweb, an Italian provider). That's an HAG/Residential gateway which has no configuration page, and also has a very weak wireless signal, so here comes the Asus RT-N56U. Basically, I just would like to get the Asus router connected to the HAG so that I can have an optimal wireless signal.

So in the router I tried the following:
- putting the router in AP mode, result: a) client's DHCP request fails b) even if I set the computer to a static IP like 192.168.1.100, it wouldn't go into the Internet
- putting the router in IP sharing/Wireless router mode. When I try to use the automatic procedure with the option 'Automatic IP' it simply fails, even if the DHCP server of my HAG is working fine (other clients can connect to it without problems, with DHCP). Also I tried to use the option 'Static IP' with a free IP which the hag has in the format 10.x.x.x. Result: the router says 'Connected' and it says that everything is working fine, but when I try to go onto the Internet the loading is extremely slow, and sometimes neither charges the page. So I tried to downgrade the firmware (I had the last version, the one with 'f' at the end) without success.
And here comes my request here, anyone can suggest to me a solution to get this damned router to work?
Thanks and excuse me for the long post!

Roberto

Last edited:
DDWRT firmware is still being worked on. However, another individual has posted custom firmware: http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx...729&board_id=11&model=RT-N56U&page=1&count=42

I am about to give it a try since you can revert to stock firmware easily. To note, the GUI is the same but has optimizations made to it.

Edit: I have to say so far so good. This is actually good firmware. It fixes some annoying bugs that Asus has not come to fix as of yet, optimized the compiler for MIPS32 arch, added NFSv3 support for USB transfers, fixed wireless multicasting causing the HWNAT module not to be loaded and is on by default, and a bunch of other fixes. Speed of the router itself is perfect, and networking speed is perfect also. No loss to report; nothing but gains so far. About to test USB transfers.

Edit 2: So far USB transfers have gained a bit of speed. I am at 12.8MB/s average with a large 7GB video file test. I have not tested NFSv3 and Optware support. I want to but will do it later. For now I want to test multiplayer games.

Edit 3: Multiplayer games are very smooth.

BTW Edit (here is the change log):

ASUS RT-N56U custom firmware 1.0.1.7f-p6 from Padavan

Changes from original firmware 1.0.1.7f:

- Build optimization for MIPS32 (code more fast and smaller).
- Added full support for Optware (start/stop scripts is embedded).
- Added NFS server v3 with WebGUI control. NTFS/FAT32/EXT2/EXT3 exports supported.
- Added SSH server (dropbear-0.52) with WebGUI control. SSH access from WAN supported.
- Added ability to WAN/USB Modem/Routes settings changes without router reboot.
- Added fast WAN source switching to USB Modem without router reboot.
- Added ability for VLAN filtering Internet/IPTV/VoIP without create LAN-WAN bridges.
- Fixed DHCP client for PPPoE WAN connection. PPPoE Dual Access now worked perfectly.
- Fixed L2TP WAN connection in auto mode. VPN heart-beat server now resolved by name.
- Fixed Dual Access PPTP WAN auto-reconnection after broken PPP tunnel (DNS bug).
- Fixed missing NAT MASQUERADE for physical WAN interface, when WAN IP and routes is static.
- Fixed broken IPTV after physical WAN interface new lease obtained (by DHCP).
- Fixed loading more instances of L2TP daemon.
- Fixed more zombie for "pppd" process and others.
- Fixed LAN DHCP server bug (no leases) when DHCP pool end address < xxx.xxx.xxx.11.
- Fixed earlier physical WAN interface up on router startup (spoofing issue).
- Fixed iptables filter rules for port forwarding on router's LAN IP via VirtualServer.
- Fixed casual DNS Relay dead.
- Fixed DNS Relay logic for reverse lookup requests for local IP's. Now all this requests fast
forwarded from LAN DHCP leases, without requesting from WAN ISP DNS.
- Fixed work IPTV UDP-HTTP Proxy with disabled setting "Enable multicast routing". Now udpxy work
without igmpproxy.
- Fixed broken HW_NAT after enabled WiFi "Multicast rate".
- Both WiFi "Multicast rate" now enabled by default (HTMIX mode).
- Added WiFi 2.4GHz legacy "Multicast rate" modes.
- Added independent IGMP Snooping control for WiFi. Now WiFi IGMP Snooping enabled by default
and dropped all outside multicast traffic.
- Fixed WiFi scheduler stupid time overlap check.
- Fixed Telnet server start/stop issues.
- Fixed local network scanner background utility.
- Fixed UPnP Mediaserver force rescan after startup (minidlna new switch "-U" instead of "-R").
- Fixed all Russia timezones.
- Fixed some Russian resources for WebGUI.
- Added ability to manual settings physical WAN Ethernet link.
- Added ability to change source media path for UPnP and iTunes Mediaservers.
- Added fdisk (busybox applet) for partitioning drives from Telnet console.
- Added mke2fs (mkfs.ext2, mkfs.ext3) for making EXT2/EXT3 partitions from Telnet/SSH console.
- Added several Linux utils (such as dd, env, blkid, ip, sysctl, more, ...).
- Added terminfo database for correct terminal keys handling (e.g. for MC). xterm by default.
- Added USB modem ZTE-MF180.
- Added output second (physical) WAN IP address in WebGUI (WAN status).
- Added output MAC address as text in WebGUI (LAN clients table).
- Added physical WAN Ethernet link info in WebGUI (WAN status).
- Added firmware subversion info to WebGUI.
- Updated pppoe-relay to v3.10.
- Updated igmpproxy to v0.1-stable.
- Updated udpxy to v1.0-21.1.
- Disabled self-reboot after CPU overload.
- Disabled buggy Web redirect page (after internet connection lost).
- Disabled buggy WAN speed auto measurement after WAN up.
- Deleted some national resources (needed more space in NOR Flash).

12/22/2011
Padavan

Last edited:
I have a wonderful announcement for all those that have VPN issue and do not want to lose the HW NAT acceleration! Padavan, the create of this third party firmware, has fixed it!!!! You can now enable all three with his firmware and still have the HW NAT module to load. I am using it now, and so far it is good as the last one, although YMMV. There is also a setting to disable the "green" option of the layer 2, which should allow the router to have WOL/WOW functionality now. I have not tested this though.

http://code.google.com/p/rt-n56u/downloads/detail?name=RT-N56U_1.0.1.7f-p7-mips32_2.zip&can=2&q=

Last edited:
I just stumbled on the review and forum here at SNB. Hopefully you all can give me some advice. I currently am using the DIR-655 which doesn't reach as far as I'd like and may be bandwidth limited.

I just bought and returned the RT-N56U. I wanted to like it, but two problems arose:

First, I could never get my hardwired PS3 to stay connected to the internet with it. It kept popping up a window saying I had been disconnected from the the network.

Second, I was up and running with all of my other devices, but the next morning, no device could get online.

I put my DIR-655 back in place and all was working again.

@Shikami do you think Padavan's firmware would fix this? Should I even bother thinking about the ASUS? What other routers should I consider?

Thanks.

Just started going thru these pages, and still on page 3 but planning to order this today if someone could help me with 2 issues.

1. Any issues with Macs? Don't need the torrent download thing at all.
2. Do USB connected drives show up as ext drives or FTP servers?

Thanks.

Last edited:
@Shikami do you think Padavan's firmware would fix this?

Some had issues and others did not with PS3's with stock firmware. I do know that he is working on the mDLNA code, and many in the forums (not this one) have working PS3's. So, I cannot say if it will fix anything, or will eventually be resolved. I will keep an eye on it, and can communicate "issues" with them because I am a contributor of the project. Note, that the RT-N56U is not DLNA certified, nor UPnP certified. BTW, issues and requests can be posted. They will answer you, even as busy as they are.

The router you chose is going to be relative because of many factors. I cannot really say which one to try because of the many variables. I will admit that I am eyeing the RT-N66U. I think this router can be very good to have due to the fact that the Open Source community will really add some features to it.

1. Any issues with Macs? Don't need the torrent download thing at all.
2. Do USB connected drives show up as ext drives or FTP servers?

You should not have an issue with Mac's, technically speaking.

The router becomes a network "object" and you can browse the contents of the drive via SAMBA (NFS is available with 3rd party support). The router can also be accessed via FTP private and public. You can limit the access to one method or use both.

Last edited: